SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing random occurrences of stuttering when I cold start my 2004 V70R, I've seen it twice within the last month already. When I turn the key, I get this weird and loud shudder for about a second before the engine catches and goes to normal. No check engine lights, drives fine, no problems otherwise. Any ideas what this could be?

I got this car used less than a year ago, roughly 96k miles. I'm not sure if it's still got the original battery. Would a dead/dying battery cause this? Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked on the Volvo site and it says that the fuel pressure sensor recall was done in 2007. Is that the one you're talking about? Or are there other fuel issues as well?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, also, the problem randomly happens. Today was the second time it happened, last time was maybe 2 weeks ago. It's not a consistent thing.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I checked on the Volvo site and it says that the fuel pressure sensor recall was done in 2007. Is that the one you're talking about? Or are there other fuel issues as well?
That or the fuel pump. Do you notice if it happens more if the car has been sitting a while?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only had it happen twice, and I've left it sitting for entire weekends without having this issue. It wasn't left sitting today any longer than it was yesterday.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How long since new spark plugs?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long since new spark plugs?
I'm 3rd owner, 2nd owner gave me his maintenance history (of like 1 year), but I don't have anything from 1st owner. My assumption would be that they were changed as dictated in the maintenance manual, at 60k miles. Car's currently at 96k. Is there any way to check? I know the timing belt usually has a sticker in the engine saying when it was last done (if done by the dealer), is there the same for spark plugs?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The only way to check the plug change history would be if the previous owner had it documented. Most people don't keep track of that. You can always pull a plug or two to see what they look like. Check online for pictures and description of a bad plugs visual appearance. But given the relatively inexpensive cost of plugs, I'd probably just go ahead and replace them if it were me. I don't know if it is a battery issue or not, but they behave strangely when going out. I had a '95 850 years ago that started fine except every once in a while when it wouldn't crank at all. It even burned up a wire in the steering column all because of a bad battery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take a look at the plugs then. Anyone know what the voltage range for a reasonably healthy battery would be?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2005 S60R just started doing the same thing last week. Rough/Stuttering during cold start, normal all other times. Carolina Volvo found 2 codes: Vent Box was clogged and the MAF sensor was also throwing a code. They replaced the vent box and cleaned the MAF sensor and everything is back to normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts