SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New user just getting into Swedespeed looking for some insight.

I have an 04 S60 2.4L with 102k miles. I have been having a lot of problems getting it to consistently start.

Over a year ago, it was very intermittent, approx. once every few months, now it is typically once a day or every other day.

The background on repairs so far is as follows:

Timing belt, water pump and spark plugs were changed by an independent dealer. Starting issue continued, so I took it to the local Vovo dealer to have it looked at who claimed the timing was off and it had been done wrong...so I took it back to the independent and had them check it one more time and show me the setup...everything was correct.

Ignition cylinder jammed up, so the dealer swapped that out. Starting issue continued.

Another independent looked at the starting issue and believed it to be the Mass Air Flow, so that was replaced. Starting issue continued.

Took the car back top the dealer to look at it again...once the car finally acted up for them, they found the fuel pump to be going bad as there was no pressure showing on the gauge when the car would not start. Fuel pump and control module were replaced.

This is where I am now...all of the above work has been done and the car continues to not start consistently...

When attempting to start, it just continues to crank, I still have all power inside the car and there are no codes being thrown or check engine lights showing. If I turn the key to position III and slowly work it back toward position II gently holding it in between, the cranks from the engine will speed up and it will eventually fire up. I can also occasionally get it started by giving it gas through the acceleration pedal.

I apologize for such a lengthy post, New user here looking for any ideas anyone might have.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I wonder if you have a big vacuum leak somewhere? How does it run once you get it started? Air filter and air inlet tube clean and intact?

I've heard the starter cable can get corroded on these cars and then they don't get enough voltage to crank. If the starter cable is clean and tight on the starter than move on to checking for air, fuel and ignition...

I know you have had the fuel pump replaced but I think I would start by putting a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what it reads during a hard start. If that reads well then you are left with injectors that could be leaking or not getting a signal to open from the ECM. You can check that they are getting a signal with a node light. You can pull the injector rail to check and see if they are spraying fuel and not leaking.

If that stuff checks out you may want to check that all your spark plugs are sparking. If they are, while you have them out do a compression test.

Good luck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
what plugs did you put in the car? if they are an off brand ..not volvos the car will buck.. also the vacuum lines are garbage on these cars ..check them all!!!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Actually, save yourself some money and buy Bosch super+ plugs. They are copper plugs with multiple grounds (just like OEM), and Bosch makes the volvo OEM plugs. So really, you're buying a better copper plug directly from the manufactorer.

The biggest thing is that you get copper plugs. For whatever reason, it seems that these Volvos are sensitive to the types of plugs... perhaps it's due to voltage issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update. I have not solved the problem yet. The spark plugs have been replaced, starting issue continues to occur. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the pump when the issue occurs and all readings are normal.

All wiring connections have been checked and tightened.

When it struggles to start, I am able to feather the gas pedal and turn the key back toward position 2 and it will fire up eventually, but not without hesitation.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you recommend a less expensive ignition coil, or should I go with a more expensive OEM version, like BOSCH or something on ipd?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Sounds more like an engine speed sensor to me. If you can get a VIDA scan look for a fault with cam or engine speed sensor. Make sure all the bell housing bolts are present if there has been any trans work, grounding for engine is important. Doesn't sound like coils. They usually fail one by one and it will be a misfire not a crank no start. You can use a generic OBDII scan tool and pull a data stream while cranking teh vehicle. If no RPM signal, I would start by replacing the engine speed sensor.

BTW, if you ever do need to replace coils, stock OE is best. Any "High Performance" coil is a complete waste of money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts