SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
my 91 240 has always had some funny start problems. sometimes it will just crank and wont start, but it always fires up within about 10 min. in the past when it is rainy, the car would usually not want to start. the mech changed out the distributor and wires and the problem with starting in rainy days went away. after a while i would find that on a hot day, if i were to shut the engine off and try to start again it wouldnt. id have to let it sit and "cool" for 10 min and then it would fire up. sometimes a real pain in the summer getting gas...
a couple of new things happened recently.
1. the start problem has become that if i start the car from cold and drive and shut off within 15 min and try to start again, it wouldnt start. if i drive it longer for say about 30 min and beyond then it would shut and start with no problems. but yesterday i had to wait for almost half hour before it wanted to restart.
2. the car actually just died on the road once while idling or slow driving i can t remember which. it did start up within about 2 min and the cel came on. a couple of days later the cel went away on its own before i had a chance to check it. yesterday i checked for stored codes and 1-4-4 came up on #6 and nothing on all the rest. nothing meaning no 1-1-1 either.
any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Could be coolant temp sensor and/or failing Ox sensor(s).

What maintenance/repairs have you done lately other than the distributor/wires?

George Dill

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the distributor and wires were done a good 25,000 miles ago. i do know the temp gauge on the dash does funny things sometimes. it drops way low for a while then comes back up when i hit a light and it idles. typically it points to between the 8 and 9 oclock position. o2 sensor was replaced along with the whole exhaust system about 7000 miles ago.
no other maintenance done recently.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There are two coolant temp senders; one for the gauge under the #2 intake runner, and one for the ECU under the #3 intake runner. A bad gauge sender won't affect driveability but a bad ECU sender will.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so all the symptoms still sound like a temp issue?
btw, not sure if its cool to ask, is minhs in brooklyn, ny a good place to take the car in for a once over and see about their opinions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts