SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple months, every once in a while when I've tried to start my 05 AWD, the car begins to start but then suddenly quits without the engine ever turning over. This was always remedied by simply trying again and then she would crank right up. I chalked this up to possibly cold weather and needing a new battery.

Well the weather is considerably warmer now, I put a new battery in, and the same thing happens. It usually only seems to happen on cold starts (anytime the car has been sitting longer than say, two hours) but even then, it's intermittent. Recently however, whenever I start the vehicle (even when it starts right up the first time I turn the key) I can hear a slight grinding noise while the engine turns over. It only lasts for a second and the car runs as smooth as always. I am not very mechanically inclined so do you guys know what this could be? Are the intermittent starts and now the new noise related? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Starter contacts

This happened to my 4runner many moons ago.
The contacts inside the starter wears out and needs to be replaced. If you have 100k, this might be the culprit, I replaced mine @ 100k.
Not sure if you can buy just the contacts inside the starter (starter rebuild kit), that should be a lot cheaper than getting a new starter. The grinding noise is caused by the contacts, I can't come up with a better explanation but it is bad as it might weld the contacts together and you may not be able to turn off the car with the key.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it's the SSS issue Veefifty. There is no stuttering or stalling, just a turn of the key followed by the car powering on (i.e. lights on the dash, headlights engaging for a split second) then ending there. All the power remains on, just no attempt to crank the engine over at all.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I don't think it's the SSS issue Veefifty. There is no stuttering or stalling, just a turn of the key followed by the car powering on (i.e. lights on the dash, headlights engaging for a split second) then ending there. All the power remains on, just no attempt to crank the engine over at all.
Oh sorry, I misread the post! I saw " the car begins to start but then suddenly quits" and stopped reading as my brain went to the SSS. Sorry!

Have you checked your battery terminals? If they become corroded, it can cause enough of a problem to hinder starting. Happened on the wife's S40, so I cleaned the posts and connections really well and all has been fine since. Just a thought.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check the terminals out today when I get home, good idea. I have a feeling this may be a process of elimination sort of diagnosis, haha.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I checked the terminals and ground... They look pretty good. I should probably also mention that the car has about 90K on it.

What is really bothering me is that grinding sound. That can't be doing anything good to the whole mechanism can it? I suppose I will try to take it to a local shop. I just wanted to see if you guys could narrow it down so I know what I'm in for and to protect myself from potential BS. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Ok, I checked the terminals and ground... They look pretty good. I should probably also mention that the car has about 90K on it.
My wife's "looked" good too, but a good cleaning made all the difference! And, clean any ground cables you see like EngTech mentioned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, ok I hear you... I have off on Friday and it should be a really nice day. Think I'll make it a car day and pamper it up a bit.

Any recommendations on what I should use to get the job done right?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I went to walmart and simply got some spray on terminal cleaner. That and a stiff brush should be all you need.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I went to walmart and simply got some spray on terminal cleaner. That and a stiff brush should be all you need.

Yep ,and might want to Take Off and a little sand paper on the Contact Area - on Engine strap Grd.
There was a Study done and these ECU's take so much Brain Power and at 13.8 - 14.2 Volts approx. , so Older Volvo's were actually
putting on an Extra Grd. Straps on Their Motors .

Also LOL ; I actually posted this 2 hours ago , but it never went .

·
Registered
35 Posts
How many miles do you have on your wagon?

:wave:

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
^^^

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK, update on the start problems... Friday I cleaned the terminals and even took some fine sandpaper to them and cleaned em up nice. Definitely look a lot nicer than before.

Friday and Saturday I can't recall having any real problems with that starts but that isn't uncommon for it to not happen for a couple days. Cut to today... When I went to start 'er up the grinding sound was definitely more pronounced than usual. Also, the RPM's jumped to about 3-3.5 right off the start before dropping to idle. It actually startled me with how high the RPM's went. Does this new symptom, along with eliminating the battery terminal corrosion bring about any new theories? Hopefully you folks can offer some insight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you sometimes hear "Click" "Click" Click" when you try to start the car?
If so, check your starter contacts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't hear any clicking but I would definitely like to rule anything out that I can. How would I go about doing this? Im good with my hands but i dont know a ton about working on cars. Im sure i could do it if there was a tutorial on the web or if some kind member could point me in the right direction, haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hear you, and to be honest, I do not know where our starter is.
My V50 is still new to me and still problem free (knock on wood), maybe someone here who knows can chime in.

I was just sharing what happened on my previous car. I would start and hear click click click and it won't turn over, wait a few minutes, try again and it would start fine. Sometimes I would hear the grinding noise like you described. The car had 100k miles and some peeps suggested to replace the contacts inside the starter, and it worked for me.

Do you hear the grinding noise as you turn the car over? or do you hear it after the car has started?

P.S. i just started my car, and the RPM's jumped to 3-3.5 like you described. WEIRD... First time this has happened to me.
but no, I didn't have problems starting the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha, wow that is weird...

The noise happens the SECOND before the engine finally turns over and starts. It only lasts for a second. Then it's gone. It's kind of like the sound of a power drill. I can hear it right behind the dash.

Anyone?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts