SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im stumped on this one. between 50 and 70 the wheel starts shaking pretty bad intermittently. I've jacked the car up and did the 12:00 and 6:00 and 3:00 and 9:00 push and pull on the wheels with no noticeable play. Car tracks straight. Things i have already replaced in the last 15K.

Inner and outer tie rods
Lower control arms
control arm ball joints
Shocks and lowering springs from H&R
Spring seats,bearings
Nokian AS tires 5k ago.

I dont think its tire related or it would shake all the time ?

When at idle if i move the steering wheel back and forth i do notice some play.
Whith the ingnition on (not running) when i move the wheel back and forth slightly i still notice the play and hear slight clunk each time i turn it.

Could a bad rack cause this shaking ? This is my sons car and he did slide into a Jersey barricade during a storm 4 months ago. But this appears to have just started.

Looking for advice on anything i may have overlooked.

If it ends up being the rack who do you guys recommend buying a rebuilt from ?

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Steering coupler?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steering coupler?
Steering coupler makes sense for the slack, do you think this could cause the wheel shake also ? I might as well replace it caused if replaced just about everything else on this S60 T5M. Its so much fun to drive and looks like the 19 yr old will be buying his own car which means the 17 yr old will get the S60 (he wants it badly) and the black S70 will go to 15 yr old licensing in Feb.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had the same problem last year, and getting the front tires balanced took care of it. The alternative would be to keep the car under 50 mph. An imbalance will get worse as speed increases. You could have uneven tire wear, and that could be caused by some sort of alignment problem. Have a good look at the tire when it is off the car. Ideally, it will be equally worn across the tread, and at every location on the circumference.

·
Registered
133 Posts
GO to the MA Shop then check for sure. The Shop can check balance for all wheels and tire problem easily. I used to be the problem before but I found out that my tire surface for front left & right is not equal.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Intermittenly.....Does it happen under acceleration? If so an axle could cause this. Loose steering components/control arms will amplify the shake but sounds like you've got the front end pretty tight. I'd start with making sure the wheels are balanced like suggested. Check wheels to be sure they arent bent. Oh, broken belt in a tire will also cause an intermittent shake.

Something cheap would be to rotate the tires and go for a test drive. If that helps your on the right track with wheel balance.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't feel it under light or hard acceleration. Just at HWY speeds above 50. I will get them balanced again this week and report back. Thanks !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts