SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As topic reads, every so often I feel my car falls flat under throttle. Like it retards ignition or holds back boost. It is not like some threads I`ve read about having to restart to regain normal power. My brother had a S40 T5 with that problem, solved with a new valve of sorts - on the turbo.

Most times the car pulls strong but on occasion feels sluggish, especially upon kickdown around 30-50mph. From start, always strong.

I have also noticed some slight vibration when at idle. No dip in idle speed though.

My car GT is stock apart from stage 1 and KN panelfilter. Just had 60k service done + new plugs (stock).
No change after service, thought maybe plugs could be the culprite.

As for the vibration, could it be either the passenger top motor mount or maybe I`m due a throttle body cleaning. Any sure ways of telling the mount need replacement? How much engine movement is normal when at idle and shifting from neutral to D. If i remember correctly i would say the engine jolts and inch or so.

Regarding performance, would a faulty TCV/IAT or indeed a dirty throttle body be to blame? All vakuum hoses have been checked out ok and mpg is normal.

I have read about cleaning the ETM, would that constitute the same as throttlebody cleaning or is there anything inside the ETM itself that needs cleaning.

A lot of Q`s I know.. any feedback would be much appreciated.
I do not dare take it in to the local "stealer" as they have proven to be incompetent beyond belief (another story altogether). Although upon confirming their incompetence sourcing AC trouble on my last visit they checked trouble codes and none were stored. By the way, they charge 270USD/hr in labour and for that much I can surely get both new IAT/TCV etc and install them myself.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Forgot to mention, new FPS installed with no change in above mentioned symptoms.
Also, no vibration when coasting or otherwise under throttle. Only at idle and a very slight vibration at that. Mrs dont notice, I do - paranoid.com :)

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Sure Sounds like a sticky TCV - Turbo Control Valve . How many Miles on T5 and has it been based lines or at least Motor cleaned and New Plugs .

read ( Denso's Iridiums & Marvel out the Motor's sludge ) If High Miles and No real History on that Ride .

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure Sounds like a sticky TCV - Turbo Control Valve . How many Miles on T5 and has it been based lines or at least Motor cleaned and New Plugs .

read ( Denso's Iridiums & Marvel out the Motor's sludge ) If High Miles and No real History on that Ride .

65K miles.

I`ll try on a new TCV.

Based lines? Motor cleaned? dunno what ya mean..

Are you saying I`m better off with denso iridium? Got new stock ones in there now..
And the last bit - marvel out motor sludge. The car has been serviced regulary with new oil and filter etc.

LoL sorry, either you write like my doctor or I`m drunk.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I would not recommend anything but stock plugs as our cars are really finicky with anything but. I also think EngTech might be saying that you should check the lines to the TCV for any leaks. If you get a new TCV, be careful as people have been having issues with the Phuzzy and ipd unit, though I noticed that ipd just released a new version for our cars within the last month or so. I'd stay stock, personally.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stock plugs, check!
IPD TCV check! - in use on my 850R
Stock TCV next to be ordered. Guess I`ll be changing out the vaclines at the same time.

At every 5k miles I`ve added a can of injector cleaner, would that be taking care of any carbon/gunk build up on the throttle plate?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
At every 5k miles I`ve added a can of injector cleaner, would that be taking care of any carbon/gunk build up on the throttle plate?
I do the same, and at 91K, my car is still pulling strong! Well, after a new FPS and TCV recently. :p

I also run 93 octane exclusively, so that's a factor to consider.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good.

I feed my babies Shell V-Power 98 oct, exclusively. No ifs or buts about it.
93oct US equivalent i think..

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Then I'd say you should be good!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered new (stock) TCV. Anybody know what vida says about timeconsumtion to have it changed?

Just in case i couldnt be bothered doing it myself. From other threads i understand its a PITA getting to it and the connecting hoses.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
it can only be 1 or 2 hours max. it's not a bad diy job. just 1 of the hoses is tricky to reach. i'm assuming you picked up some silicone hoses to replace the rubber stockers.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I`m not really all that keen on using silicon hoses. They tend to melt shut a lot easier than the rubber equivalent. Any benefit of using silicon other than supposed longevity?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
If You don't do the Hoses , I'd say - Time Line is : Jack It ( Safety Blocks ) , Remove Passenger Tire - Turn Hub to get best shot at the 1 hard to reach out of the 3
little bolt - Use a 18" long Hand tool so Your able to flex - it ( Bow ) to reach - remove - Clean area , Clean Bracket - Paint it ( dry time ) - reinstall New
TCV and Attach Hoses : 45 Min.

Something - like this : Not sure on Size anyone Remember what that is ?

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80088-Material-Screwdriver-18-Inch/dp/B001M0O17U

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
fuel pressure sensor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts