SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who Else Has This?

My 06 S60 R Has Done This Since Maybe Year 2 Into The Warranty But It Was So Intermittent, That Of Course If I Took It In For Warranty Work, It Wouldn't Throw The Light. I Also Stores NO Codes.

I Called The Dealer To Get A Price For The Bottom Cushion, Since the Sensor Is In It, OVER $1600!!!!!!

I Feel That Who Ever Rides With Me Is Now NOT Being Protected Like Volvo Intended...

It's On Most Of The Time Now When An Adult Sits In It But I'm Out Of Warranty Now......

Anybody Have Any Suggestions? Maybe I Can Just By Pass The Sensor and Have The Airbag On All The Time Would Be Fine.....

·
Registered
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Anybody Have Any Suggestions? Maybe I Can Just By Pass The Sensor and Have The Airbag On All The Time Would Be Fine.....
I had the same issue, and there was no CEL or error code. The technicans discovered because I had crap under the seat, it was pulling the wires when pax moved the seat. So check under and ensure connections are fit and wires clear.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
warpedcow --> hasn't resolved it last i saw.

update: here is the link to thread
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?73168-Passenger-air-bag-in-active-message
No updates from my end there... if my wife lifts herself off the seat a few inches with her arms and then falls back down on it, that usually cures the problem for that trip...
A bit lower priority now since we picked up the XC70 which will be used for most of our longer trips now but I still plan on peeking under there to see if I can see/access that tube with the fluid in it that measures mass... thought being I could load up the seat with a ton of weight and then clamp the hose so fluid stays in it so it thinks there is always someone there...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wires are good and nothing not built by Volvo under the seat. Would anybody know if I just connected the wires under the seat that it would permanently activate the bag...?

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Wires are good and nothing not built by Volvo under the seat. Would anybody know if I just connected the wires under the seat that it would permanently activate the bag...?
No, it's a sealed unit that actually talks to the SRS unit via a data bus, so you'd need to hook up a "fake computer". It's not just a matter of closing/opening a circuit.

Honestly I'd say maybe make a pillow for small folks to sit on that has a lead plate in the bottom...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm.....So It Looks Like I'm Not The Only One This Problem. So This Was Federally Mandated In 05-06 In The USA?
Seems To Me That It Was Not Tested For Reliability Very Well.....

So Now, Everybody Who Has This Problem, I'm Sure Not Including Lots Of People Who Don't Even Notice The Light Staying On The Dome Assembly, Now Have Their Passenger In Danger Of Not Being Protected As Volvo Originally Intended.

Volvo Cars Of North America Contacted Me, With Was Very Nice, and Said To Get It Down To The Dealer To Diagnose To Verify That The Sensor Is The Issue. Even If They Help Out, Goodwill Wise, I Still Can't Afford To Pay For Half That Cushion @ $800.......

I'm Just Wondering That This Really Should Become A Recall. Just As If A Airbag Was Defective.....

·
Registered
520 Posts
You'd think it should be considered a recall by Volvo - what is there take, "well you shouldn't have someone sit in the car so often" - a simple bypass switch would be great.
The warranty on the part is 5 years - I only found this out 5y4mo out, so I'm outta luck too - even with a heavier passenger, it will eventually "bleed out" and the "off" light will go on.
We rarely take my caR on long trips either, but makes me nervous when I see the light go on.
ANyone have any pics of a repair for the seat sensor bladder thingy? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad I saw this post. My wife and I noticed this the other day in our new 06 V70R that we have owned 2 weeks now. Just emailed the dealership about it. I believe under CT law that I have a 2 month warranty for any safety related issues and this should hopefully fall under that. Kinda freaked us out when we saw the warning light. At least I know now she can reposition herself in the seat to get rid of it temporarily.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
TNN 88-45 and 88-44 both are related to this issue.
Do these cover any sort of cheap/easy workaround to fix it?

I'd love it if I could just disable the sensor and leave the airbag always-on.

·
Registered
919 Posts
yeah I've got the same issue. definitely interested if anyone has a way to fix it! so just to be sure here, if there's no one in the seat at all, the bag is disbled right? light only goes on when there's what the system believes is a lkttle person? lol

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
yeah I've got the same issue. definitely interested if anyone has a way to fix it! so just to be sure here, if there's no one in the seat at all, the bag is disbled right? light only goes on when there's what the system believes is a lkttle person? lol

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook
correct. when the light is off its saying no one is in the seat. when the light is on its saying it knows something is sitting in the seat but not heavy enough to activate the air bag.

i too have been having this problem. but only when my 130lb girl friend sits in the seat. she also likes to tilt the seat way back. so im thinking not enough of her weight is being applied straight down.

i think this problem is more of a design flaw than something actually wrong and fixable.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have the same problem in my 06 VR. looking for a solution before the long winter trip.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Me too. My light went on THE VERY DAY AFTER my 5yr warranty expired! The very same day my fuel pump failed too!! My local mechanic found no codes, and all sensors reported working on his computer checker. Since this seems to be cropping up now on '06 and '07 cars, it must be a design flaw with the sensor just degrading over time. There's very rarely been anyone in my passenger seat, so it's certainly not "worn out".

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sure where I read this but I think you undo the seat belt while sitting in it then redo it and that fixes it. I tried it in my friends 06 S60R about two weeks ago and that worked. The car is now sold so I can't confirm this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts