SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple of weeks my overdrive has become more and more sluggish (up to 20 seconds) when engaging to the point that today, it never did engage all the way to work (about 20 miles). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Re: Intermittent Overdrive (GLU)

Going by the fact that you said it slowly faded out, I would rule out an electricial problem for now. You should check the oil level in the transmission. Remove the plug on the side and oil should be level with the opening. Volvo says to use 30W but Irv uses the standard 90W gear lube. If thats OK the seals on the OD probably need replacing. <p>By the way, does your gearshift buzz around 3000 RPM?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Intermittent Overdrive (VolvoBob)

Bob, <p>No, it never buzzes very much. <br>Thanks for the info. I'll check fluid level tonight. However it may be the seals. Thougthts on changing them? Where can I get OD seals?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Try <A HREF="http://www.spitbits.com/mk1/1147overdrive.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.spitbits.com/mk1/1147overdrive.htm</A> and other British car part supliers as they used the 'D' overdrive also. I'm assuming you still have a 'D' and it wasn't changed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Intermittent Overdrive (VolvoBob)

I have a "d" drive, correct. I put about a quart into the tranny last night. it was low. Now the OD works but was sluggish to engage this morning. All of this seems strange to me. Maybe I should switch to 90W but the 30W has always worked well so I don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts

Changing the oil viscosity won't change the pressure that makes the thing work, in any case.<p>The problem isn't necessarily internal to the OD. On a D-type, look under the rubber boot on the solenoid and eventually you'll get to a set of breaker points. Give those a cleaning. Reflow any suspect solder connections.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Intermittent Overdrive (Phil Singher)

Thanks, Phil. <p>The oil was a little low, but what made the OD work was cleaning up the electrical connections. Works fine now. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts