SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

Hoping all your P2 gurus can help me out problem solving an ongoing frustrating issue. Have an '03 V70 T5 with 420K and a random starting situation where my wagon will fail to start. It will crank, but not catch. Had P0442 codes which i thought i had solved with a new evap solenoid switch and gas cap. no go. No more codes pop up, however the starting problem persists. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter last january. Premium fuel used mostly, however sometimes ive used mid grade. Here is what i know

It can happen with the motor cold or warm. After an hour of hwy driving, then sitting for a work day, or sitting for an hour. Morning, or evening. When turning the key to on, i can hear the fuel pump priming. Then i go to crank it, and it just turns without catching. This can go on for 15 mins up to about 45 or so. Over the last couple weeks this has happened 2-3 times with no rhyme or reason as to when it will strike.

Some of the things that have done that mysteriously allows it to start:
  • purging fuel pressure via the schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail (indicates that i do have fuel pressure there)
  • temporarily unplugging the MAF sensor (note, when this issue occurs i can hear a high pitch buzz when the MAF sensor is connected, then the buzz goes away when i disconnect it. disconnecting the MAF sensor allows the vehicle to start about 60% of the time, so im not sure if that means anything)
  • these measures don't always allow it to start immediately but more often than not, it will catch, within 2-3 mins.

Thinking the fuel pressure sensor could be a culprit i sought one out. However the fuel rail on my T5 motor does not have the FPS at the drivers side end of it, just the shrader valve. Even FCP euro states that my VIN should have one of these sensors, but nope, it does not.

I've read that these vehicles can have issues at the J bend of the charcoal canister behind the rear DS wheel, however my canister is rear center between the wheel wells under the cargo floor and the lines do not look cracked at all.

Anyone have any similar experience? Or even the same motor as i've got that doesn't have the FPS on the DS fuel rail? Am i looking at a lack of fuel or too much evaporated fuel flooding the intake? help pls!

PFA

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I was going to say that car looks fantastic for 420K, but then I saw the BC plate and realized it’s just 260k in ’Merican.

·
Registered
17,416 Posts
It looks DAMN good for 260K 'merican.
I was going to say that car looks fantastic for 420K, but then I saw the BC plate and realized it’s just 260k in ’Merican.

·
Registered
17,416 Posts
Looks super. Doing wagon things.
I'd have thought FPS but did hear that sub 05 does not have. Maybe injectors now need a good cleaning? You'd have to remove that, replace the rings and clean it all up. I'm no expert but if it's priming, pumping and pressure is at the rail that's gotta be the next thing I'd try. FCP new blues for 237. Maybe some bad gas along the way? Another fuel filter replacement before you do that, as those are cheap...

hello all

Hoping all your P2 gurus can help me out problem solving an ongoing frustrating issue. Have an '03 V70 T5 with 420K and a random starting situation where my wagon will fail to start. It will crank, but not catch. Had P0442 codes which i thought i had solved with a new evap solenoid switch and gas cap. no go. No more codes pop up, however the starting problem persists. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter last january. Premium fuel used mostly, however sometimes ive used mid grade. Here is what i know

It can happen with the motor cold or warm. After an hour of hwy driving, then sitting for a work day, or sitting for an hour. Morning, or evening. When turning the key to on, i can hear the fuel pump priming. Then i go to crank it, and it just turns without catching. This can go on for 15 mins up to about 45 or so. Over the last couple weeks this has happened 2-3 times with no rhyme or reason as to when it will strike.

Some of the things that have done that mysteriously allows it to start:
  • purging fuel pressure via the schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail (indicates that i do have fuel pressure there)
  • temporarily unplugging the MAF sensor (note, when this issue occurs i can hear a high pitch buzz when the MAF sensor is connected, then the buzz goes away when i disconnect it. disconnecting the MAF sensor allows the vehicle to start about 60% of the time, so im not sure if that means anything)
  • these measures don't always allow it to start immediately but more often than not, it will catch, within 2-3 mins.

Thinking the fuel pressure sensor could be a culprit i sought one out. However the fuel rail on my T5 motor does not have the FPS at the drivers side end of it, just the shrader valve. Even FCP euro states that my VIN should have one of these sensors, but nope, it does not.

I've read that these vehicles can have issues at the J bend of the charcoal canister behind the rear DS wheel, however my canister is rear center between the wheel wells under the cargo floor and the lines do not look cracked at all.

Anyone have any similar experience? Or even the same motor as i've got that doesn't have the FPS on the DS fuel rail? Am i looking at a lack of fuel or too much evaporated fuel flooding the intake? help pls!

PFA

·
Registered
17,706 Posts
Crank position sensor is suspect

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
CPS per above, but do these cars use a cam position sensor?

My T5 ran smoother/better mpg after replacig every rubber bit and vale in the evap system against a P0442

·
Registered
533 Posts
Be careful, the crank position sensor bracket becomes fragile with age, mine cracked when tightening down the sensor nut due to being brittle...pita to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts