SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S40 2.4i (2008, 75,000 miles)

Engine oil level is around max level.

The engine oil warning light will flash few times intermittently while car slow down at traffic light....

The engine oil pressure sensor is replaced, but the problem is not fixed. VIDA scanned and no code found.

Engine oil - castrol 5w30 oil change interval 7000 miles.

Anything I need to check?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
That's an oil pressure light. If you're seeing that, it means you're not getting enough oil pickup to make pressure at idle. Unless you have a massive leak that would be my thoughts.

My .02 - your oil pickup tube is clogged at the screen.

Also please consider dropping your oil change interval if affordable and possible. 7,500mi is the 2012 and newer engine interval on full synthetic. These cars burn nowhere near as clean in terms of EPA requirements and I think you're running it a little long. I personally don't run it more than 5k between changes on full synthetic and 3k on conventional. The reason I avoid conventional in our case is because unless you purposefully idle your car for a minute or two before shutting it off, the turbo bearings at the hottest part tend to cause oil to coke up and become a semi-solid. Enough of this builds up and it causes a blockage in the oil pickup tube.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Mine was doing that too a while back. The oil level was good. I switched to 10W30, added some Lucas because I was getting nervous but the light still would come on. The engine ran real good still. Before I dropped the oil pan, I thought I'd change the oil pressure sensor first. Problem solved, bad sensor.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Mine was doing that too a while back. The oil level was good. I switched to 10W30, added some Lucas because I was getting nervous but the light still would come on. The engine ran real good still. Before I dropped the oil pan, I thought I'd change the oil pressure sensor first. Problem solved, bad sensor.
The OP replaced the oil pressure sensor - are you suggesting the replacement might still be bad?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
My bad, I missed that you already replaced the sensor. However, I remembered that I also replaced my oil filter housing at the same time because it had a slight oil leak. I’m not sure if it could cause a low oil pressure reading though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This new filter just clocked 1500 miles, the old filter looks normal. I will try to clean the oil pump when i get gasket kit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the link. I have exactly same issue/condition. Cracked & welded oil sump, no leak....

Today I removed the oil pump. There is quite some sludge. I am so happy to find this root cause! I thought I will be fine again after the oil pump is prefect cleaned.

I am wrong! The prefect cleaned oil pump is installed. But oil pressure light blink again after 30 minutes drive....

I have to remove the oil sump soon...

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Today I removed the oil pump. There is quite some sludge. I am so happy to find this root cause! I thought I will be fine again
I don't think you removed the oil pump. That is located on the crankshaft at the front of the motor, is very difficult to remove, and cannot be dismantled to find sludge.

Did you remove the oil trap, at the side of the engine (front of the car), which houses the PCV, oil filter, and oil "cyclones"? That is an important part, but is not generally the cause of oil pressure problems.

Remove the sump, yes.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
That image link is broken, can't see any content.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
That link is also broken.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
509 Posts
Try a 0w-40 ACEA A3 or A5 rated oil. I run it in the summer without issues. I change it at 7500miles no less as it's a waste.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Right clicked on the link and click view image brings up OP's photo. He did indeed remove the oil pump. IIRC it's removing the crank pulley, the crank timing pulley, and then two or four torx bolts to the block and slide off. And indeed there is a ton of sludge in it on his finger.

Glad to see this at least - avoided issues showing up later on. That being said, sad to see it didn't completely solve your problem. If they are running conventional, using synthetic will break up and remove the remaining sludge in the system - but the 100% most guaranteed effective solution is to drop the oil pan and check.

I use 0w-40 regularly in mine in all weathers - again recommend.

Try a 0w-40 ACEA A3 or A5 rated oil. I run it in the summer without issues. I change it at 7500miles no less as it's a waste.
Have you had an oil analysis done at that mileage? I don't really stand by Volvo's maintenance schedule on this one - they're looking for the engine to get out of warranty without problems - not caring about it after it is out of warranty. Oil analysis is the king there to tell us if it's worth running it that long or not.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
According to all service records, last owner only use castrol full sync 5w30. I think the sludge was caused by 1) broken oil sump o ring which cause weak suction flow... 2) only short distance city drive by last owner.

Oil sump will be removed next week while receive oil sump o rings.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Aha - yes right-clicking and using the browser commands to view does show the link: https://ibb.co/Lng8X2t The hoster is obviously refusing to serve it from passthrough.

Ouch, nasty stuff. If it's clogging the oil pump it's clogging pretty much every channel in the engine. This car will need a complete flush. Hopefully addressing the circulation leaks in the oil pan, followed by a couple of dozen short-cycle oil changes :) will help. The PCV cyclones will almost certainly be clogged, I'd simply replace that but only after at least trying to get the goop out of the feed and drain ports to it.

I don't, however, agree with putting lighter-weight oil in it for normal operation. The earlier years were spec'd for 10W30 and they run best with it. They get blowby with lighter oil. Later years can handle lighter oil better, but only if they're in good shape. Not sure about your 2008 2.4i (is it a non-US model?), 5W30 might be its spec, but in any case it will be unclear until the goop is out. Go gently on the long-term approach. MHO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
509 Posts
No need for an oil analysis when it comes out looking great, still slightly Amber, no chunks, or grit, less consumption. Don't think a Volvo motor has died due to wear yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts