SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping I can get some confirmation on my suspicion, for the last year I have been trying to trace down the source of a coolant leak. During the summer I doesn't seem to leak much, I'd say a quart is lost throughout the entire summer but once it gets colder into fall and winter there seems to be a lot more coolant lost. This leads me to thinking it's the heater hoses, there doesn't seem to be any leak inside the cabin but I have noticed a wetness running down the side of the transmission and collecting around the drain bolt. It is really hard to see where the heater hoses connect to the engine but I suspect the coolant is dribbling from there.

Has anyone experienced a leak similar to this cause I haven't heard of anyone having a leak from where the heater hoses connect to the engine. Last year I replaced all coolant hoses with the Do88 silicon set (minus heater hoses) and I have checked all connections and they are all bone dry.

Also what would be the easiest way to get to the heater hose connections? Would I have easy access after removing the battery and intake or is more work required?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It's tough to say. Best to just look all around the hoses and see. Coolant residue is white and flakey.

I've had my heater hoses leak, but they leaked inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
Lower rad hose it's common, get it fixed before you kill the engine. Edit read the rest of the post. Silicone hoses sweat a bit so it normal to loose some coolant. Check the hose ends for cracking of the fittings or slight tears in the silicone.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was going to say upper radiator hose until I saw you had silicone hoses. Thermostat housing? Its plastic and can crack.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lower rad hose it's common, get it fixed before you kill the engine. Edit read the rest of the post. Silicone hoses sweat a bit so it normal to loose some coolant. Check the hose ends for cracking of the fittings or slight tears in the silicone.
I have never heard of sweating before, would it leave a residue on the hose? I would imagine sweating would happen every time I'd take the car out and get it up to temp but my issue seems to be intermittent. And all hoses were checked, I added dye to the coolant and checked the engine bay with a blacklight and the only place I see coolant is trace amounts along the side of the transmission. Occasionally after a drive I can smell coolant from outside the car, I am thinking I'll need to check again when I smell the coolant to find a fresh leak and trace that to the source.

I was going to say upper radiator hose until I saw you had silicone hoses. Thermostat housing? Its plastic and can crack.
I forgot to mention that I had replaced the housing and thermostat as well :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I think I found where the coolant is coming from, this is looking up from the drivers side wheel well. Using a blacklight and dye in the coolant you can see it looks like the coolant is bleeding out the side of the hose. From this angle it looks like the hose might not be fully seated. It does look kinda thick on the hose doesn't it... View attachment 54283 View attachment 54285

1 - 6 of 6 Posts