SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2010 XC70 non-turbo has been intermittently showing warning lights and charging system failure messages. Yesterday it happened as I was returning home. I measured the voltage on the battery with the car running and the messages showing. Voltage was 13.8 . Every time this happens, I turn the car off and restart and it goes away. Battery shows 12.7 with car off. No issues starting, battery seems fine. It's also throwing a B1087 code, which is not well-defined.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
896 Posts
My wife's 2010 XC70 non-turbo has been intermittently showing warning lights and charging system failure messages. Yesterday it happened as I was returning home. I measured the voltage on the battery with the car running and the messages showing. Voltage was 13.8 . Every time this happens, I turn the car off and restart and it goes away. Battery shows 12.7 with car off. No issues starting, battery seems fine. It's also throwing a B1087 code, which is not well-defined.

Has anyone else seen this?
Could be a intermittent failure of the alternator.
My daughters Honda CRV threw a low voltage code but every time I checked it, with engine running - 14.4VDC and engine stopped - 12.9VDC. I thought everything was fine until I plugged in a USB plug with a voltage display.
Driving around the voltage was 14.4 then dropped to 12.9 - 12.7 - 12.1 then popped back up to 14.4.
Replaced the alternator and voltage stays up and no low voltage code.
May or may not be your case. EBay sells the USB plugs with voltage display (accurate to +-.1 volts) for about $13.00

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picking back up on a year old thread - I've since replaced the battery during the COVID shutdown, and today I plugged my OBDLink into it and took it for an oil change. On the way back I stopped at Autozone for an air filter. On the 3 mile drive home it lit up with Charging System Failure. The logs show the voltage at the PCM was running 13.6 - 13.8, voltage to the OBD plug was running 13.4 - 13.6. When I shut it off it dropped to 12.8 and 12.4 respectively. So it seems like it IS charging even when I get the failure message. Anyone have thoughts on what I might check next?

·
Read Only
185 Posts
Picking back up on a year old thread - I've since replaced the battery during the COVID shutdown, and today I plugged my OBDLink into it and took it for an oil change. On the way back I stopped at Autozone for an air filter. On the 3 mile drive home it lit up with Charging System Failure. The logs show the voltage at the PCM was running 13.6 - 13.8, voltage to the OBD plug was running 13.4 - 13.6. When I shut it off it dropped to 12.8 and 12.4 respectively. So it seems like it IS charging even when I get the failure message. Anyone have thoughts on what I might check next?

i have same issue, its a regulator failure, 2011 XC70 here, does exact same, in fact sometimes overcharges batteries as when it fails it goe into full bore charge. have u done a diagnostic scan and found a code for LIN Bus A related to charging? thats what im having.. after working with someone on it, he figured out the car is tryign to communicate with the regulator but the regulator is doing its own thing and so the car decides that its a charging failure because of this and forces default charging routine at full bore 14.8V

1 - 6 of 6 Posts