SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2005 V50 T5 w/151,000 miles. My car has been relatively trouble free, which is good because my local dealer leaves much to be desired in the service department. They can't look at it til next Thursday, so I thought maybe you guys could give me some DIY troubleshooting ideas?

I was driving on a icy highway and I had a grabbing or small misfire sensation a couple of times. The CEL did not go on and my RPMs did not change from 2200. I had assumed that maybe I had hit a couple of icy grooves and ignored it. A thousand miles later on the same road, it did it again, but this time the CEL flashed and stayed on. Also, the car felt like it was struggling a bit and the tach needle was doing a very light bounce, nothing obvious, but I could see it. I switched to manual and went down to 4th gear and the vibration went away, but the CEL remained.
10 miles later, no CEL but the vibrations in 5th gear are still there. Also, I found evidence of a rodent nesting in there, but we have been unsuccessful in trapping it, which makes me wonder if some wires have been damaged.

Any ideas on something I can look at myself? I don't want to be without my car for so long if I don't have to. I have access to OBDII, but the light isn't on anymore. It took the dealer over a week to fix a coolant hose last time because the forgot my car was even there, I don't want to guess how long I will be without my car this time.
TIA

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If you got a misfire first thing I would do is swap the coil with another one and see if the misfire follows the coil. While you're doing that, look at the plugs. How recent are they? Have you ever replaced the coils before?

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,171 Posts
Even with the CEL gone, there may still be stored or pending codes. Use a code scanner (any auto part store can scan for your) to see if there are any problems and report back. My guess would be a misfire as well, probably coil packs or spark plugs. As Ou2mame suggested, you could move the coil packs to different cylinders and see if the problem moves with it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rodents are a pain. We had a repetitive squirrel problem with our previous vehicle. We eventually had to take drastic measures and retrospectively I wish we had before it did hundreds of dollars in damage. Get that thing out of there ASAP.

The vibration in 5th only - did it just appear now with the CEL or before? It may just be the common harmonic vibration these cars have in 5th gear. It's easy to know, if you feel it the most between 45-50 mph.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts