SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 V70R 152K. The blower/fan in my wagon just started intermittently going out on me. The recirc air and Off button lights flash when it decides not to work. I'm on vacation in the desert west and driving on the freeway with no A/C wont be fun. Anyone have experience with this symptom? Have bad Internet access and not much free time before we hit the road or would reasearch it more. Any thoughts? May drive through Vegas on the way home if I need a dealer.

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Take it off of the auto setting, when you push the slider to the right manually does it blow okay?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When it goes out, it does not work in any position auto or manual. When it works, it blows fine. Seems to work If I put it in auto before I start the car.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Had a blower motor installed 2 years ago at 120K. Normal to fail that soon?
Depends on what you replaced it with. Cheapo aftermarket, maybe. OEM? Start looking elsewhere.
Intermittent operation could be as simple as overheated connectors at the motor and/or powerstage.
You may have a dirty temp sensor, bad damper, etc. The blinkies usually indicate a stored code,
but you would have to pony up at a Volvo friendly shop/dealer to have them read.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
cheap aftermarkets tend to have the ground wires rip off the motor. OEM is the only way to go. MUCH cheaper through www.tascaparts.com

could also be your resistor pack.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
A '98 R has ECC and that uses a powerstage, not a resistor pack.
The powerstages usually die altogether when the output FET fails.
Intermittent failure is unusual. Generally, either full blast or no fan
at all when a power stage goes Tango Uniform.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dealer installed the blower motor before I bought it from my brother (3 years NOT 2 years ago)...so don't know if it's OEM but will assume since it's from a dealer...?

It works on any manual setting NOT just full blast...when it works. I got it to start up and made the drive home and just never turned the car off for the 7 hour drive. Worked today.

Will get in and check temp sensor etc. I think the overheating of the connectors the powerstage or motor as I was driving in 95+ degree desert and I normally live in a much cooler climate...

Does the blower motor come as a fan and motor at about $180?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts