SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,305 Posts
Check out the sticky - possibly the a/c compressor clutch needs the "breadclip fix".

Mine's acting up lately, too. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
I recently had the same problem. I thought it was going to be the AC clutch, but it just needed a recharge. Get a diagnostic before paying for big repairs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
My car acts up when the A/C is turned on. Reduced power, hard gear changes and weird acceleration (not smooth). I think its the clutch, volvo doesn't know how to make ac's work because they don't need them in Sweden lol.

Do you have performance issues or is it just not blowing cold?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
Seems like a low refrigerant issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Hey guys...I too had the same issue on my 2005 V50. I was pretty sure it was the clutch as it had all the same symptoms, plus when it was engaged, it was blowing cold air. I had the system checked for leaks and re-charged, although the tech at the local a/c shop said that it was still within spec.

So I decided to try that clutch fix and it works like a charm now!!! Basically saved tons of money paying someone to try and diagnose the system.

I followed the 'shim removal' fix shown online, rather than the bread clip fix. It's a very easy job, the only issue I had was the removal of the clutch plate. The procedure online talked about using a puller and pushing against the center with another bolt. Maybe it was different on that model, but on mine, all I had to do was remove the center M6 bolt and thread 3ea M5 x 25mm bolts (or longer if you can find them), into the threaded holes in the plate. This pushes against the other plate and pulls the front one away from the other. You hear the 'pop' and then I just carefully finished prying with 2 screwdrivers.

The shims are right there on that spline shaft. I removed the 2nd smallest one and I had measured my gap and figured I needed to remove 0.2mm to get back in tolerance of 0.4mm gap. Cleaned everything with brake cleaner after, put everything together and now everything works perfect!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top