SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intermittantly my 1996 850 non turbo will crank without fireing. After one minute it will start. Once it runs it will start just fine until it sits for an hour or so then not start again. I just replaced the crank shaft seal and position sensor; PCV line elbows (rotted); Dip stick well seal; micro switch; Engine computer. This car was a salvage car from a flood so I have some electrical contact problems as well. I have had the car for 4 years with little trouble. Does anyone have an idea? My local Volvo mech here in San Francisco is stumped.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Intermittant delayed start (brickdog)

Had a similar problem, may or may not be related. Car wouldn't start normally, took much longer to crank. IN my case, I had just had the injectors "cleaned", and that was related.<p>After the dealer took almost a week to diagnose, the mechanic said he was running out of ideas, when he took the injectors out to do a spraypattern test. (Dealer has a tool that keeps the injector hooked onto the fuel rail so that no fule leaks, and the pressure is maintained.) Seems he discovered that two injectors were leaking (drops), and the other three were "wet". All should have been dry. When I replaced the injectors, the problem disappeared completely. <p>What was happening was that it wasn't enough to lose pressure in the system, just enough to leak a bit of gas into each cylinder so that it was flooded, and that meant it didn't want to start until the excess fule was gone. Simple, but pain to diagnose.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Intermittant delayed start (wizzard_al)

Look in the rear, fuel pressure.<br> Fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, etc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts