SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got a 2020 XC40 on Saturday. I’ve been driving non stop and just admiring the car that I haven’t stopped to really notice the interior trim until today. I started noticing this issue when this faint scratch reflected when driving and caught my eye. I know piano black/gloss trims scratch super easy so I’m ok with the scratch. What I’m not okay with is the cloudy discoloration. I’m only finding this on in two spots around the cup holder. It looks like the coating has either faded or it’s just a poor paint job. I am leasing this vehicle and have concerns that this could come back to bite me as my fault. Should I take this to the service center and see if they can replace the trim piece? I tried taking a little drop of water and a microfiber cloth, thinking it was something smudged over the trim, and that made zero difference unfortunately. Pictures are attached. It’s something I could live with, the pictures make it look more exaggerated than what it looks like in person. The sun hitting it directly makes it pop but typically it blends in well enough, but again worried about the lease and how it could impact me. I’d assume defects are covered under warranty but they also gave me complimentary exterior/interior coverage for 3 years so I think I’m okay if I make a claim.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Maybe someone tried to "fix" it.... IMO trying to fix piano black will never go well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh dear. Looks like a lot of micro scratches as if someone has at some point given it a hard rub with an abrasive/unclean cloth.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hey guys, I just got a 2020 XC40 on Saturday. I’ve been driving non stop and just admiring the car that I haven’t stopped to really notice the interior trim until today. I started noticing this issue when this faint scratch reflected when driving and caught my eye. I know piano black/gloss trims scratch super easy so I’m ok with the scratch. What I’m not okay with is the cloudy discoloration. I’m only finding this on in two spots around the cup holder. It looks like the coating has either faded or it’s just a poor paint job. I am leasing this vehicle and have concerns that this could come back to bite me as my fault. Should I take this to the service center and see if they can replace the trim piece? I tried taking a little drop of water and a microfiber cloth, thinking it was something smudged over the trim, and that made zero difference unfortunately. Pictures are attached. It’s something I could live with, the pictures make it look more exaggerated than what it looks like in person. The sun hitting it directly makes it pop but typically it blends in well enough, but again worried about the lease and how it could impact me. I’d assume defects are covered under warranty but they also gave me complimentary exterior/interior coverage for 3 years so I think I’m okay if I make a claim.
As others have said that is NOT discoloration. *That is damage from an over zealous rub down. *I'd take it to the dealer to document this damage so you don't get dinged when you turn it in. *No way to fix that, its a total replacement. *I know Piano Black is a popular trim now but it is unbelievably hard to keep clean. *I use a very soft paint brush to get rid of the larger dust particles then gently wipe down with a clean microsoft cloth. *Absolutely no scrubbing!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts