SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which model has more space inside? the 245 or the 740 series? or are they fairly similiar? the reason i'm asking is that i'm tall (6'4) and want as much legroom and also room for my backseat passengers/baby car seat. i prefer the styling of the 200 model but would consider a 740 wagon if they have more space inside.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The 245 has more interior room. I don't have any 700 series brochures, so I don't have the data for them.

quote:

Front head room: 37.9"

Front leg room: 40.1"
Rear leg room: 36.1"

Cargo capacity (seats up): 41.1 cubic feet
Cargo capacity (seats down): 76.0 cubic feet

Source: "The 1988 Volvo 240 Series" brochure
quote:

Front leg room: 40.7"
Rear leg room: 36.4"

Source: 1979 "Volvo: The Driver's Car" brochure

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm 6'3" and have had no problems in either car (700 or 200) with rear seat passengers. Although I'm not sure I also believe that the 245 has more room.

Jay
--
83 242 Turbo
98 S70 T5 SE

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 245 and the front legroom is fine for a guy your size. The passenger/car seat may be tight. I have a Peg Perego seat and it is tight. It may fit a little better if it is not a rear facing seat.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have to agree with Jay, I think the 700/900 wagons have a bit more rear seat legroom. Either one should be a good fit though.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by 11110000:
I have to agree with Jay, I think the 700/900 wagons have a bit more rear seat legroom. Either one should be a good fit though.
At the Annapolis show, the guy with the clean red 945 Turbo who works at an indy shop around Baltimore was showing another guy what sort of leg room the 940 had. The front definitely looked smaller than the 240, and he mentioned that tall guys have trouble getting in and out of the cars when moving them.

I'm not sure about rear leg room, but I think the 240 would be a better fit for someone who's 6'4".

·
Registered
691 Posts
OK, here's my unscientific evaluation of rear seat room in the 240 vs. the 940 (of course I have sedans, not wagons, but it should still be valid.) I went out and sat in each one back-to-back to compare accomodations.

Surprisingly, in the rear seat legroom department, the 240 and 940 appear to be about equal. Both have a comfortable amount of room and space under the front seats to stuff your feet.

Rear seat headroom goes to the 240 by a small margin.

The 940 is slightly wider, providing more comfort for sprawling out.

Front seat space is no contest - the 240 has a LOT more headroom, especially compared to a 940 w/sunroof. Legroom is roughly equal. The 940 is again wider, giving you some more elbow room.

Next up, a review of the 940 vs. 240 trunks - which is more comfortable?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts