SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<p>I'm new to this forum, my name is Jody. I want to have the interior of my '78 242 DL restored. The car is in gret shape, but the interior needs some help. I haven't found anyone in the Pittsburgh, PA area who is willing or capable of doing this. I did find CalSwedish in Sacramento, they are willing to do it, but with the shipping costs so high, I'd like to find a closer person. CalSwedish seems very capable, and they do other mechanical work, but it would be nice to find a more local shop.<p>Does anyone have any recommendations for a good interior restoration person, or shop? Anywhere on the east coast would be good, but I'm looking for any suggestions or references.<p>This car has been in my family since it was new, and I want to get it looking nice. It's got 328,000 miles, and still going strong.<p>Thank you!<br>Jody

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Interior restoration for '78 242 DL - recommendations? (jlobert)

Jody;<p>How much restoration?<p>Do you plan to replace the carpets/underlayment?<p>Repair any floor rust?<p>New headliner?<p>Door panels?<p>Dash? Console?<p>Remove, rebuild and re-cover all seats?<p>Repaint visible steel? Replace plastic parts?<p>You are looking at big $$$ if you farm out all parts and labor.<p>Let us know what you envision as the final product (show car, daily-driver, etc.) and your maximum $$$ as this could decide how and where you do the fix.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Interior restoration for '78 242 DL - recommendations? (gdill2)

Hi George,<p>I'd like to refurbish the interior as much as possible. Remove, rebuild and re-cover all seats - yes. New carpets, in both interior and trunk, with some padding/sound insulation underneath carpet and firewall area. New headliner, yes, and new sun visors. I'd like to get the door panels recovered too, along with a new drivers side map pocket. The only part of the dash that I need is the top covering that usually cracks with sun exposure.<p>There's no rust to repair, no steel to paint. The body is very solid and the painted areas are good now. I'm not looking for a show car, just a very nice 'occasional driver' that would see 2-4k miles a year, would be always garaged, never driven in snow. Max dollar amount... that's hard to say. I haven't had any numbers from potential vendors, so I'm not sure what this will cost.<p>Thanks,<br>Jody<p>How much restoration?<p>Do you plan to replace the carpets/underlayment?<p>Repair any floor rust?<p>New headliner?<p>Door panels?<p>Dash? Console?<p>Remove, rebuild and re-cover all seats?<p>Repaint visible steel? Replace plastic parts?<p>You are looking at big $$$ if you farm out all parts and labor.<p>Let us know what you envision as the final product (show car, daily-driver, etc.) and your maximum $$$ as this could decide how and where you do the fix.<p>George Dill

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Interior restoration for '78 242 DL - recommendations? (jlobert)

Jody;<p>Here is a Hatfield, PA restoration shop that will do all the work to your specs. A long drive from your place but may be worth a look...<p><A HREF="http://www.bentmetalcustoms.com/home.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.bentmetalcustoms.com/home.html</A><p>George Dill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts