SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I did search. I can't find anything that sounds specific enough to what I'm experiencing.

I recently fixed the sunroof rattle, but I have yet to find the culprit of the dash area rattle. I only hear it during heavier acceleration or going over bumps (when the car vibrates more). It also seems to be more noticeable when it's colder outside.

It's clearly somewhere in the center console dash area. Tightened all the screws that I could find and checked that all the wires are secured, but nothing seemed to fix it.

Has anyone else experienced this or possibly know what it is? It sounds like small piece of plastic or metal hitting another piece of plastic. Kind of a soft clicky noise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try checking the two-piece plastic cover at the base of the rear view mirror. After I had my windshield replaced there was an annoying rattle. I thought it was the dash but it turned out the guys didn't properly snap the pieces together. Hope this helps.

-Rich

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rich, I'll go check this right now.

It can be really hard deciphering the exact area of rattles when driving. I may have my girlfriend poke around the car while I drive to see if she can't narrow it down to a specific area; if it's not the overhead console.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think I have the same rattle. Try pulling the waterfall sideways when it happens. That usually quiets it down for me. I just need to get in there to see what needs to be tightened.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It sounds like small piece of plastic or metal hitting another piece of plastic. Kind of a soft clicky noise.
.... been driving me nuts for over two years now, I too have taken everything apart and re-tightened every bolt and screw I could reach, with no joy! the sound resembles a steel bolt making a dull vibrating sound on a tin plate... I guess it's a Ford thing because I know of two F. Focuses and a Ford Transit that produce the exact same rattle.
Roughly it kicks in when the turbo starts spooling at about 2000 rpm.

as if wind noise was not enough :mad:

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a simple tape mod to reduce wind noise some.

But yeah... I'm going to check around the waterfall and see if I can track down the problem. I'll post anything I find.

As of tonight, all of my little projects have come to completion (aside from the on going custom body kit). The oil has been changed, cleaning the MAF and intake box tomorrow. So now I just need to kill all of the rattles and my car will be back to perfection!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey I just recently bought a 04.5 S40 and I have the "sunroof rattle" noise that you said you recently fixed. I was wondering what you did to fix it? It sounds like the air deflector hitting the glass or something, mainly when I go over bumps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks,
the tape mod didn't help, neither did the side mirror mod, I've known about these to fixes for some time now, the wind noise I have comes from the upper left window corner - B-pillar.

As for the dash rattle, well the weather has cleared up so I'll be digging in once again to try and find it's source, last year I dismantled the whole dash storage compartment, the central console, I took out the CD player and infotainment thingy and was left with a bare front view of the automatic climatic unit and still couldn't find it!

This is not my car, I found these pics on a local Volvo forum, they may help in tracing down the source of that dreaded rattle>

Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic3
Pic 4 Pic 5

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Be sure to narrow it down to the sunroof though, otherwise you'll be chasing the wrong thing.
At first, what seemed to be a rattle from the sunroof blind turned out to be a loose center overhead brake light assembly. I discovered it while reupholstering the roof liner.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i noticed when i installed my vibratechnics tranny mount that everything rattels in my car now :( im gonna switch it out for a different one.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It could be something rattling on the underside of the hood. My strut bar was doing this and forever I couldn't figure it out. Finally did after much trial and error.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did discover that the bolt is missing that holds the intake pipe down to the engine block. I'll see if I have any spare bolts lying around, or even a metal clip, and secure that down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks TG!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Thanks,
the tape mod didn't help, neither did the side mirror mod, I've known about these to fixes for some time now, the wind noise I have comes from the upper left window corner - B-pillar.

As for the dash rattle, well the weather has cleared up so I'll be digging in once again to try and find it's source, last year I dismantled the whole dash storage compartment, the central console, I took out the CD player and infotainment thingy and was left with a bare front view of the automatic climatic unit and still couldn't find it!

This is not my car, I found these pics on a local Volvo forum, they may help in tracing down the source of that dreaded rattle>

Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic3
Pic 4 Pic 5
Nice Score on the Photo's : Guru
I have never seen one so torn apart .

·
Registered
222 Posts
You're welcome,
The poor guy's climate control unit stopped working and the blower motor was found to be broken too, so he had to replace the whole thing, labor cost was higher than the hardware replaced btw!

As for searching for the rattle in the engine compartment, well we seem to agree on the nature of the sound, but mine is a 2.0 diesel and your cars are all petrol yet we're getting the same rattle, which means that it must be coming from components we share, i.e. the dash, the plastics, the strut mount... not the engine proper, nor the gearbox. Although one mechanic proposed that it was coming from within the catalytic unit of the exhaust, and the sound is being transfered in to the cabi.. I'm not convinced of this.

@Beck> hmmm, a strut bar seems likely, perhaps there's a loose or a worn out bush. I'll check that out the next time I get under the car, was thinking about going powerflex anyway.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Do each one of these Volvo's making this similar sound - have Premium Sound with Center Speaker & Grill ?
Like on the Older Cars , We would stick a Magnet on that Grill .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts