SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am somewhat new to the 70R family having purchased a 2006 last year. I could not spend much time with her over the winter but have started trying to bring her back to some semblance of righteousness. My son and I have replaced the spoiler (wing) and fixed the hood (bonnet). I have also spent some time attempting to clean the leather and leatherette. I would now like to attack the fabric on the posts to either side of the windscreen. The fabric has come loose and I would like to remove the panels to re-attach the fabric. I would appreciate a bit of advise on removing the panels so that I don't inadvertently break something.

Thanks much

Kent

2006 V70R; 1966 1800S; (3) 1955 Thunderbirds (in various states of renovation; 1965 TR4; a partnership in a 1958 Peerless GT:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pull off the door seal in the area of the A-pillar, it just comes straight down. Then, work your fingers around the edges of the pillar cover and pull it away toward the inside of the car. It won't come completely free due to a retaining clip toward the top, but you can cut it free with scissors or wire cutter. You would be better off re-covering the pillar with new headliner material, as the foam underneath is probably toast by now.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Cut the retaining clip? Um, just twist it where it attaches to the A pillar and it will come off. I believe this clip keeps the cover in place in the event of a side-curtain airbag deployment. You can reglue the fabric back on, recover it with different fabric, or replace it entirely with a new cover. Other models used a cover that didn't have fabric and was molded plastic. Me, I recovered mine in dark-colored vinyl that matched the interior colors.

When you're ready to reattach the cover, that trim clip goes back on in reverse of removal - put it in rotated, then rotate back to lock. I wouldn't advise cutting it, it's there for a reason.

·
Registered
2004 S60R & 2006 XC90 2.5T Real Volvos have 5 cylinders!!
282 Posts
New ones aren't that much. Way easier to replace than trying to repair them, unless you are going for a different look, imo.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This video is pretty good, was made by a member here.

https://youtu.be/3SrBK3ppcFE

And yes, KEEP the retaining clips!!

I replaced my fabric covered ones with plain plastic ones (used) from a V70. Much cleaner, and no peeling fabric!

·
Registered
744 Posts
New ones aren't that much. Way easier to replace than trying to repair them, unless you are going for a different look, imo.
+1 I glued mine at first but it didn't look great. So I just ordered new ones and never had to think about it again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The reason the pillar cover comes away is the foam backing degrades allowing the fabric to separate.
Replace or recover, glue won't do a thing but the advantage of recovering is you can glue it around the edge, not just up to it like the factory did (lazy sods)

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Retaining clip very important... keeps plastic from flying at your noggin in an accident. Absolutely moronic to cut it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
!!Thanks so much!! I am going to try all of the ideas. The youtube is perfect!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
+1 I glued mine at first but it didn't look great. So I just ordered new ones and never had to think about it again.
Did you get plastic ones or fabric covered? Are these fabric covered even available?
Does anyone have part numbers? I have to replace these too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you get plastic ones or fabric covered? Are these fabric covered even available?
Does anyone have part numbers? I have to replace these too.
I purchased the replacement grey fabric A-Pillars through Boston Volvo Village's online parts store about a month ago as each side was really starting to annoy me...each pillar was around $55+tax and picked them up at the dealer to save on shipping.

Left: 39856777
Right: 39856779

1 - 13 of 13 Posts