SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our 2007 s80 is due for it's 15,000 checkup and the dealer advises the pollen
filter, parts and labor will be $110 to 115 of the $250 checkup. I haven't
found any instructions for the new s-80, the ist generation calls for a $45-50 part and 15 minute change out. please advise any into on the swapout.

Modified by Kaizai at 4:17 PM 4-10-2009

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Interior pollen filter (volvobart)

I just hit 15,000 miles, and I'm going to do the service myself.

The oil change is not that hard, even if you don't jack the car up. Its just a bit tight. You just unscrew the skid plate with a few torx screws, then drain the oil out, and put it back. Putting the skid plate back is a bit tough, but nothing overly hard.

Get one of those oil filter socket removing tools online, and use it to open the filter housing. Throw in a new filter, chance the gasket, oil it up, close back the housing. Drop in 8 quarts (yup. eight quarts) of your favorite oil (I go with Pennzoil Full Synthetic), and that's done.

As far as the pollen filter - I will do it myself. I will let ya know how it goes - but it definitely isn't worth the $110 to $115 to change it. Even if the filter costs $50, if you do the service yourself, you're at:

$35 for synthetic oil
$15 for oil filter
$50 for pollen filter
$30 for oil filter housing tool
-------------------
$130 total

And that is with synthetic oil, which the dealer does not use, and for the filter tool, which can be repeatedly used.

And you can clear out the service message yourself. Not too hard. Done it myself before.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: Interior pollen filter (vivek9856)

Quote, originally posted by vivek9856 »
I just hit 15,000 miles, and I'm going to do the service myself.

The oil change is not that hard, even if you don't jack the car up. Its just a bit tight. You just unscrew the skid plate with a few torx screws, then drain the oil out, and put it back. Putting the skid plate back is a bit tough, but nothing overly hard.

Get one of those oil filter socket removing tools online, and use it to open the filter housing. Throw in a new filter, chance the gasket, oil it up, close back the housing. Drop in 8 quarts (yup. eight quarts) of your favorite oil (I go with Pennzoil Full Synthetic), and that's done.

As far as the pollen filter - I will do it myself. I will let ya know how it goes - but it definitely isn't worth the $110 to $115 to change it. Even if the filter costs $50, if you do the service yourself, you're at:

$35 for synthetic oil
$15 for oil filter
$50 for pollen filter
$30 for oil filter housing tool
-------------------
$130 total

And that is with synthetic oil, which the dealer does not use, and for the filter tool, which can be repeatedly used.

And you can clear out the service message yourself. Not too hard. Done it myself before.

I'd appreciate it if you post instructions on changing the pollen filter as this is something I want to do myself later on.

My dealer changed the filter yesterday and added something to freshen up the air conditioning system and charged me $58.40 for this (including the filter) as part of my 15K mile service.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Interior pollen filter (arporro)

Quote, originally posted by arporro »

I'd appreciate it if you post instructions on changing the pollen filter as this is something I want to do myself later on.

Sure!

There's only one small problem though. I can get the filter for $30 off of myswedishparts.com, but once I get the filter, I have no clue what to do.
Can anyone give me some general instructions? Where is the filter in the first place? Haha. I don't want to go blindly tearing my car apart.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
ok guys this is for the '06, i know you guys have the newer models but i would have to think that it is still up under the glove box like my s60.

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/...T.PDF

pretty easy to find out, take out the 2-3 torx screw holding on the panel under the glove box, if you see what you see in these pics it should be easy from there, just put it in the SAME way that it came out and screw the trox back in!

ill continue to try to find some pics of your cars

This site is a good site for DIY projects, also this gives you an idea what your looking for.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/s80cfc.php

Modified by DGBibo at 11:19 AM 4-14-2009

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
VIV you got an old man car! you need to get the S40 or s60! a lot more young guns and action over in our rooms!

(the creator of this post would like all s80 owners to know that he is jealous of their car, and only says this because Viv is a kid and has all sorts of eager questions and this S80 room moves soooooo damn slow)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: (DGBibo)

Quote, originally posted by DGBibo »
. . . and this S80 room moves soooooo damn slow)

Soooo slow, I thought all the geezers died, and Vivek was busy making out with his girlfriend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Interior pollen filter (arporro)

I'm headed to 15k also. Two questions; where's the pollen filter and how do you reset the service message on an 08 S80 (T6).

thanks,

oldredwheels (it was a '94 850 wagon)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
look up there ^^^^^^^

and you need Vidas (or whatever the hell its called now) to reset the message, used to be able to do it thru a few quick steps but Volvo go wise to us and changed it in the new S80s

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

I leave you guys alone for just a few hours, and you start chatting it up. Haha. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

VIV you got an old man car! you need to get the S40 or s60! a lot more young guns and action over in our rooms!

(the creator of this post would like all s80 owners to know that he is jealous of their car, and only says this because Viv is a kid and has all sorts of eager questions and this S80 room moves soooooo damn slow)

I do have an old man car... I wanted an S40 T5, but my dad is an old man, and he'll be taking my car in just a few months, so I guess its fitting for him. He says the S40 is too small. Then again, he just came back from my car after 10 minutes of trying to close the sunroof and open up the nav screen.
Lol. He's a technologically inept "geezer". But this S80 forum does move slowly. (I would like to be the JRL assistant and point out that you should be using the adverb "slowly" because you are modifying how the forum moves. No biggie though.
)Maybe I'll start hanging out in the 40 and 60 forums!

Quote, originally posted by MAC1LSR »
Soooo slow, I thought all the geezers died, and Vivek was busy making out with his girlfriend.
Bahaha. My gf has a S40, so I gave her one of those "Practice safe sex in a Volvo" tank tops in red. Lol.
Looked quite nice on her, and matched the paint quite well. Good times. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Got a picture of her on the hood wearing that somewhere in the depths of my computer. But that's not for you all to see.

hes got a GF? lol
I'm not a dead geezer, I have a life. Kinda... Just a little one. http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

Quote, originally posted by oldredwheels »
I'm headed to 15k also. Two questions; where's the pollen filter and how do you reset the service message on an 08 S80 (T6).

Lol. Come on, at least read the thread before asking the same question that hasn't been answered. We're still working on the pollen filter part.

look up there ^^^^^^^
and you need Vidas (or whatever the hell its called now) to reset the message, used to be able to do it thru a few quick steps but Volvo go wise to us and changed it in the new S80s
Its VIDA, and nah, you don't need it. I got frustrated one day and started smashing the odometer button and hitting stuff, and it cleared the message out. Then Freeworld perfected my smashing method and figured out the exact way to clear it, and he posted instructions in some previous thread. I'll dig around for the link later.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
how quickly you forget Viv! im the one who tried to help you with the message reset, but remember your way didnt work for everyone and it was a freak happening! we proved that you have to use Vida, hell this forum is slow its probably 5 threads below this one! lol

oh, and i also spelled "so" with 10 "o"s lol, sticky keyboard lol

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

how quickly you forget Viv! im the one who tried to help you with the message reset, but remember your way didnt work for everyone and it was a freak happening! we proved that you have to use Vida, hell this forum is slow its probably 5 threads below this one! lol

oh, and i also spelled "so" with 10 "o"s lol, sticky keyboard lol

Oh yeah! That was you!

But you must have missed a few posts. I didn't keep track of what I did to reset the message, so Freeworld took a more structured approach to figuring it out, and he did manage to reset his message successfully, and he posted the correct instructions in that same thread. I'll find the exact link when I get back this afternoon. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
sweet, i looked for it but forgot what it was titled, good work! so help this guys out! lol

and what is ****ter Gold?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

sweet, i looked for it but forgot what it was titled, good work! so help this guys out! lol

Alrighty - here are Freeworld's instructions. Hope this helps! :

1. Put the key fob all the way into the dash slot (until it clicks)

2. With your foot off of the brake, tap the engine start button - this should light up a portion of the gauges.

3. Push down the trip mileage counter reset button (a nub to the right of the RPM gauge)

4. Still holding down the trip mileage counter reset button, and with your foot off of the brake, push the engine start button for about 2 seconds until all of the informational lights (i.e. check engine, etc) light up. Once they light up, you can stop pushing the engine start button (but continue to hold down the trip mileage counter reset button).

5. After a couple more seconds of holding down the trip mileage counter reset button, you will note that the "i" (the alert that there is a vehicle message) will begin to blink. This is your cue to release the trip mileage counter reset button. You must do this before the "i" stops blinking, or it will not reset.

6. Restart the car to confirm that you have successfully reset the "book time for maintenance" message.

and what is ****ter Gold?

My car is gold, and Volvo calls that color "shimmer gold", and the joke 'round these parts is that the color sucks so much, that its called "****ter gold".

Personally, I don't think its too shabby:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Interior pollen filter (volvobart)

Go up behind the glove box, then look left. Filter is located in the center of the car above the tunnel. You should see a plastic "door" with two clips that need to be undone. Swing open the door and slide the filter out. You will have to bend it as it comes out. Reverse for the installation.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Interior pollen filter (cdauerer)

Oh, so you get to it from under the hood to the left of the battery door essentially?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Interior pollen filter (vivek9856)

Sorry for the poor explanation. You get to it from inside the car. From the passenger footwell, look up behind the glove box. You will find a black plastic panel secured by some torx screws. Remove that and you will find the door for the filter up and to your left. The filter sits in the center of the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts