SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 R-Design on the way and I'm wondering what people have done to improve the fairly rubbish original seat covers. Volvo R's have had such lovely seats up until the R-Designs started showing up....

It would seem a black leather on quilted noir suede similar to the early R's would be quite nice. I've seen a few with seats re-covered, what are the best you've seen?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Personally, I think the R-designs have really nice seats with the black and white leather...
I have the V2.0 seats which mimic the R-designs but with grey t-tech sides and off white centers.

There's a company that makes aftermarket seat skins for these cars and you can get just about any color/material combo that you'd like.

Admittedly, nothing like the original 850 R seats, but I do find P1 seats to be much more comfortable. They force you to sit straight and provide nice rigid bolsters. The 850s and sadly the P2Rs were like sitting on a couch. Super comfortable, but I always get sore on long trips because I'll start to lean to one side or the other.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a 2.0 with the black with white centers. I thought all C30 R-Designs only got imitation leather. I really do not like the t-tech that much and the white center wears so badly...

I did see some had used LeatherSeats.com for covers, and I was curious to see examples. I saw the one with black and red centers already, and I assumed, perhaps falsely, that other people had tried some other creative choices.

My thinking is: if mine are warn, price point says something will have to be done for a 40k mileage car. I am budgeting around a grand for custom covers.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
You're right, as of 2008+, Volvo stopped using real leather.
The t-tech is crap... Something about it tears so easily. Just like the sticking on all leather 850 seats, only the multi-material ever seem to survive.

I'll have to dig around for pictures... I know a guy who did brown and tan leather, another who did black and orange. Check out some of the builds on C30Crew as well.
LeatherSeats.com is probably the best way to go. It's not too hard to recover the seats yourself.

While you're swapping the skins, you may want to add a bit more padding to beef up the bolsters even more. I was able to add .5" padding to the sides which really made things feel more snug and the stock skins fit back in place without any problems.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I've not really seen many 850 R seats. The one's I've seen have only been the black example, I've only seen the tan version in pictures and but I love the look.
I actually just picked up a rare set of 850 seats, black leather with a moderately tacky 90s pattern for the centers. Excited to swap those out on my 850 tomorrow, as the all leather seats have torn along the seams.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually just picked up a rare set of 850 seats, black leather with a moderately tacky 90s pattern for the centers. Excited to swap those out on my 850 tomorrow, as the all leather seats have torn along the seams.
Can I see pictures? Please, please?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Leather wears, but t-tech stains and cracks. Ugh, the stains are probably the wrost part in my mind.
Yeah... I personally prefer black leather. Just treat it every few weeks to keep it healthy, never have to worry about stains.

Can I see pictures? Please, please?
I'll post pictures tomorrow once they're installed. :)

In the mean time, here's my C30's setup. Can't swap out the passenger seat for my passenger's comfort... But I made the skin for the Sparco and I'll probably stitch together a matching skin for the Volvo seat.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I assume your set up is track only? I read through your build a little and that seemed to be the direction you were leaning. :)
Actually, that's still my daily driver. :D I'll have the half cage in soon.
But, it is track ready!

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
What did you do about the air bag in the seat? I've wondered about other seat options, but the dreaded SRS light prohibits.
I see you saw the post in my build thread. I opted for relocating the airbag under my rear shelf where it can't do any damage. But others have had success with a 2ohm resistor.

How comfortable is that seat, by the way?
Honestly... It is extremely comfortable! Most fixed back racing seats have a lot of research/design for the perfect angle.
It's the exact same height/angle that I always kept my stock seat at, so it feels no different while driving. But take a turn and I'm not budging.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see on your build thread you re-covered your headliner. I would be very curious to see more pictures of that. The two faults I've seen almost every S40/V50 develop is the t-tex seats wear horribly and the headliners fall down, so I'm preparing myself for those two inevitabilities. Did you re-cover the A, B, and C pillars at the same time?

I have this idea that it could be flaming cool to re-cover the headliner in a tan alcantara like material while keeping everything else dark. I have a Jaguar with that set up and I love it. It's a really nice contrast that brightens up the greenhouse while not going overboard. My car also does not have sunroof, so a lightly colored headliner seems like a good choice to keep things from being oppressive inside.

Not a great picture, but it's the best I could find on short notice (the Jag isn't stored at home). If the interior moves to black on black, a contrast would seem like a good idea. The wife doesn't like the Jag much, but does like the color scheme. If the C30 would hurry up and arrive I could start plotting, but while it was slated for delivery last week, it's still somewhere out in the mid-west on the back of a truck... :(

What I plan to do to mine is purely cosmetic, concentrated to the interior. It's going to be my wife's car and that means while my finger's will be into it, power and suspension modification is a waste of time.

On the seats: I'm very curious about because the non-Volvo project I've been working on is to build a Arden XJ Series III replica and the front seats will have to be something different without being obscenely expensive custom seats. I have no experience with any of the aftermarket seats, but would assume the car would need something like that. But I'm jumping ahead of myself. The SIII project is on the farthest back, back burner at the moment.

* On a side note: I'm amused your wife is still driving an 850. It took me nearly 3 years to convince my wife to get rid of the 850 and move on to something else. She was convinced she was going to have it forever and ever.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
"forgive me father, I have sined. It has been two days now and I have not fulfilled my promises to the waiting throngs of onlookers demanding viewing rights to my labors."

"Go, my son, give them what they desire and waste no more time. Give them all breath mints to make up for your slowness in fulfilling your promises. Reflect in the future before posting time frames on the wild west of the internet that allow any garden variety wanker can give you grief for the tinniest of offense."

------------------------------------

On a completely different note: if you have pictures of your seat construction, I'm curious about replicating the same thing. I have a few P2 S60 sport seats laying around, I wonder if I could trim the foam a bit and make those bolsters work? I suppose I should measure seat dimensions to see if something like that could work. Maybe the whole cushion could sit onto the seat frame, leather and all, and I could get my non-staining leather seating surface that way?

Hmm, if it were possible, I would think someone would have switched out the seats before now though...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I did see some had used LeatherSeats.com for covers, and I was curious to see examples. I saw the one with black and red centers already, and I assumed, perhaps falsely, that other people had tried some other creative choices.
I jumped on the group buy and got Medium Red seats. If you contact them, they will set up a group buy and you can get all the seats and some extra for under a grand with shipping included. I haven't taken any decent shots of mine, but here are some photo's.

Bye bye crappy t-tec seats by Craig Grieco, on Flickr

the passanger seat looks a lot better now, smoothed out. no wrinkles. and still no cracking or signs of wear.
My interior by Craig Grieco, on Flickr

Winters on by Craig Grieco, on Flickr

9/28/12 my c30 by Craig Grieco, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I jumped on the group buy and got Medium Red seats. If you contact them, they will set up a group buy and you can get all the seats and some extra for under a grand with shipping included. I haven't taken any decent shots of mine, but here are some photo's.

Bye bye crappy t-tec seats by Craig Grieco, on Flickr

the passanger seat looks a lot better now, smoothed out. no wrinkles. and still no cracking or signs of wear.
My interior by Craig Grieco, on Flickr

Winters on by Craig Grieco, on Flickr

9/28/12 my c30 by Craig Grieco, on Flickr
Those do look quite nice. The red seats are a nice contrast, and it looks like the factory color the c70's got in the latter years.

I'm contacting some local upholstery shops that I do business with regularly to see what they quote me before going to LS.com. I really want the suede inserts, but I do have a budget to keep in mind...

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I see on your build thread you re-covered your headliner. I would be very curious to see more pictures of that. The two faults I've seen almost every S40/V50 develop is the t-tex seats wear horribly and the headliners fall down, so I'm preparing myself for those two inevitabilities. Did you re-cover the A, B, and C pillars at the same time?

I have this idea that it could be flaming cool to re-cover the headliner in a tan alcantara like material while keeping everything else dark. I have a Jaguar with that set up and I love it. It's a really nice contrast that brightens up the greenhouse while not going overboard. My car also does not have sunroof, so a lightly colored headliner seems like a good choice to keep things from being oppressive inside.
I think headliner adhesive just likes to give up after 10 years. 10 years on the dot, and my headliner started to fall.

My A-pillars were covered with fiberglass and painted black, since I built a custom gauge pod for the driver's side.

I left the B-pillars alone since those are a bit more complicated to remove and recover.
I did cover the C-pillars with the same headliner material.

There is another member on here who did a suede headliner. Turned out great! He did it in multiple pieces so it was easier to put back up. He also had a stripe. carreragt7, but his pictures are down.
I plan to do a white headliner in my C30, with the blue roof stripe carried over to the inside. There's a good write up on headliner replacement in the S40/V50 stickies. Make sure you use headliner adhesive. I'd be worried that an alcantara could be too heavy... Headliner foam is super light weight.

"forgive me father, I have sined. It has been two days now and I have not fulfilled my promises to the waiting throngs of onlookers demanding viewing rights to my labors."

"Go, my son, give them what they desire and waste no more time. Give them all breath mints to make up for your slowness in fulfilling your promises. Reflect in the future before posting time frames on the wild west of the internet that allow any garden variety wanker can give you grief for the tinniest of offense."
Hahahaha! Well... Got the seats done and discovered a wet floor board. Drains along the base of the windshield were clogged and water was coming in through the AC fan.
Took care of that and then the car wouldn't start. Had to jump it. After all that, my wife calls needing a ride home from work (I stole her car for the day and thought I'd be finished in time to drop off her car and ride my bike home). By that point, it was dark... I'll vacuum out the interior tomorrow and then I'll post some pics.

On a completely different note: if you have pictures of your seat construction, I'm curious about replicating the same thing. I have a few P2 S60 sport seats laying around, I wonder if I could trim the foam a bit and make those bolsters work? I suppose I should measure seat dimensions to see if something like that could work. Maybe the whole cushion could sit onto the seat frame, leather and all, and I could get my non-staining leather seating surface that way?

Hmm, if it were possible, I would think someone would have switched out the seats before now though...
An S40 member did successfully swap P2R seats into his S40, but I don't think he was able to wire up the airbags to function properly. I think he also went with the 2ohm resistor route. They were a tight squeeze though, and I think he had to reuse the P1 seat rails.

I have a video of seat removal and dissect that I will upload soon. You'll get an idea of how things go together with that. As for beefing up the lower seat cushion, I didn't even have to remove the hog rings. Just unclipped the sides of the skin and slid in the foam. Just cut it to a general shape of the seat sides.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Those do look quite nice. The red seats are a nice contrast, and it looks like the factory color the c70's got in the latter years.

I'm contacting some local upholstery shops that I do business with regularly to see what they quote me before going to LS.com. I really want the suede inserts, but I do have a budget to keep in mind...

Thanks! I was going for the Cranberry seat color they offered in some C30's. I don't remember which year that was. but I enjoyed the Medium Red more. I always liked white m3's with the red interior.
i believe you could get the suede inserts thru leatherseats.com. they will also send you free samples of everything they offer before you make your decision.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts