SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 R-Design S60, I know Volvo, for whatever reason, changed the plans for the high level illumination from being standard on R-Design Trims to be only available on the inscription. Just like they did with the tailored dash. The 2020's and so on will now once again include these features as standard equipment... but here is my question:

Wouldn't you think that storage pockets, door handle, and cup holder compartment lights would have been standard across the board? It confuses me, especially being that the owners manual indicates these locations as standard, yet, correctly indicates that mood lighting, as well as variable-color mood lighting is optional equipment. I have no illumination in the door handle pockets, storage pockets, nor do I have any illumination in the cup holder compartment. Does anyone have an R-Design or momentum with lights in these areas, and for you Inscription folks, do any of you have these lights?

This, as well as the tailored dash are my only two gripes with the car! I anticipated these being included from the get go, just like the *standard* sport suspension fiasco... always Volvo with their weird options/equipment choices for the US market!

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I bought my 2018 S60 R Design platinum all the options you mentioned came standard. When the 2019 model year was announced I took a look at the pricing and standard features as a comparison of model year features.

In my opinion Volvo wanted to lower the price to gain market share by making what was standard an option. If you compare features ty vs ly the price really increased, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
984 Posts
Where are y'all getting the information on the 2020? Its not on the Volvo USA site yet.

I too was led by the owners manual to believe there was more stuff than there is. I'm not too disappointed because I came from and old car, so just grateful to have something so nice and new. But it is strange and figuring out which "standard" equipment the manual says I have but I don't is totally new to me. I figure the RD might be the most profitable model and therefore technically the worst "deal", the "sporty stuff" like the seats and steering wheel don't likely cost more, they are just shaped different. The black trim probably costs less then the chromy stuff. The sport chassis springs and shocks they get $200 is pure profit as the underlying parts don't cost more they are just tuned different. Yet compared to Inscription at the same equipment/option level, the price is pretty much equal to the RD yet that model has the 4 zone climate, stitched dash, mood lighting. Perhaps that's why they are adding those things for 2020, pump up the value on it. I really wanted ventilated seats buying a 50k new car. But the sport stuff is a need for me, and the TLX A-spec had the cooled seats but the rest of the car just didn't do it for me the way the sport chassis does.

Volvo def wants volume with this car from what I have read. So keep the cost down to have room to keep the deals flowing, even if they have to push incentives.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just got my 2020 (in Canada) so it may not apply to you guys and gals in the USA. We get the sport chassis as standard on the RD. For interior lights, there is lighting on the door handle, storage pockets and cup holders. The only thing missing compared to my wife's 2017 XC90 is no sill lighting and no mood lighting.

I too wish it had the tailored dash but am happy to have the sport chassis.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm not really into messing with my brand new 50k car. But the temptation is strong to tear into the wiring diagrams, and crack open the parts catalog to to see if these little interior lights can be added. It would be a nice touch.

Its kinda my thing, it started with adding heated mirrors to my SRT-4, then I figured out adding JDM power folding mirrors and many of the other out of market equipment to the Subaru WRX. I added OEM HIDs, folding mirrors, Nakamichi stereo, and the AVS suspension to my Lexus. Sometimes this stuff is cheap parts that plug right in, other times its an odyssey of wiring. Must...resist...modding lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The cupholder light and harness p/n’s are 31479482 and 31403223 respectively. I’m in the same boat as you with the Rdesign mid level lighting but don’t expect to find open wiring connectors behind the center console and door panels for the lights to plug into. If I’m wrong that would make these plug and play likely.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The parts are like 60 bucks not too crazy. Does anyone know where the light shines from? Have to see if there is a blank there or something where the light goes vs having to buy an entire trim piece.

Even if there is no wiring tapping in an led to illumination should be cake.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I couldn't resist, I ordered a cupholder light thing, and the driver's door pocket and puddle lamp. Trying to minimize the outlay if it doesn't work out. There is plastic trim plug over the door pocket, and at the bottom of the door panel, they just left an open hole lol those lazy bastards. I imagine they will fit, but the wiring...hard to tell sometimes its cheaper for the assembly factory to just use the same harness and tape up the plugs, but sometimes it's not. There are 2 harnesses for the door, and one of them has 2 "variants" so its possible that's for high level illumination support and the wiring is not there on every car.

2 of the parts are on backorder so out 3-6 weeks, it will be a while before I can figure it out. I might take off the trim panel before then to see if there is some wiring in there. possible to tap into illumination maybe if that doesn't work out so all would not be lost.

There is a door handle light tube thing but its a bit more spendy at $54 and it is not obvious where that would go, if there is a different door handle pocket to fit that it would need more parts to work and cost more $$. So I left that alone for now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't resist, I ordered a cupholder light thing, and the driver's door pocket and puddle lamp. Trying to minimize the outlay if it doesn't work out. There is plastic trim plug over the door pocket, and at the bottom of the door panel, they just left an open hole lol those lazy bastards. I imagine they will fit, but the wiring...hard to tell sometimes its cheaper for the assembly factory to just use the same harness and tape up the plugs, but sometimes it's not. There are 2 harnesses for the door, and one of them has 2 "variants" so its possible that's for high level illumination support and the wiring is not there on every car.

2 of the parts are on backorder so out 3-6 weeks, it will be a while before I can figure it out. I might take off the trim panel before then to see if there is some wiring in there. possible to tap into illumination maybe if that doesn't work out so all would not be lost.

There is a door handle light tube thing but its a bit more spendy at $54 and it is not obvious where that would go, if there is a different door handle pocket to fit that it would need more parts to work and cost more $$. So I left that alone for now.
PLEASE keep us updated on this, as I am extremely interested to see what you find out. I would kill to have the lights I expected based on the original features list for this car... It's so dark in here

·
Registered
59 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the "High Level Illumination" variant code is PD02. The two harnesses you point out for the doors don't reference this variant but rather variants with/without electric seat adjustment (NI01/NI02) and with/without seat memory (K801/K802). I also checked out the harness in the tunnel and it seams those variants relate to number of A/C zones or type of gearbox...so again, should be good here too. Really I see the only potential issue being software coding because the plugs should be there.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the "High Level Illumination" variant code is PD02. The two harnesses you point out for the doors don't reference this variant but rather variants with/without electric seat adjustment (NI01/NI02) and with/without seat memory (K801/K802). I also checked out the harness in the tunnel and it seams those variants relate to number of A/C zones or type of gearbox...so again, should be good here too. Really I see the only potential issue being software coding because the plugs should be there.
Do you have a list of what all the codes mean?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the "High Level Illumination" variant code is PD02
Sounds like you know better than I do! Where do you get that info?

The rear doors have the same provisions for lighting units as the front doors. The harness variants are PD02 and PD03 which might lead one to think PD02 is medium level illumination and PD03 might be high? The rear doors would need a harness in that case.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yep, can confirm there's three variant codes for illumination, base as PD01, mid as PD03, and high as PD02. Also that there's entirely separate cup holder assemblies for high illumination specs, so I'm unsure if it can be retrofitted to an existing cupholder.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep, can confirm there's three variant codes for illumination, base as PD01, mid as PD03, and high as PD02. Also that there's entirely separate cup holder assemblies for high illumination specs, so I'm unsure if it can be retrofitted to an existing cupholder.
Yep, that's what I thought they were. Also, if someone has the ability to pull down a VIDA build sheet for a VIN, they can look up all the variant codes associated with that vehicle.

Assuming there isn't software at play here I think the below P/N list incorporates everything one would need to convert to PD02. Again, if there's an error here feel free to let me know.

31425656 x2 Left Door Handle Lights
31425657 x2 Right Door Handle Lights
30622905 x4 Screws for Door Handle Lights
31425660 x4 Left/Right Door Cubby Lights
31663793 x7 Puddle Lights/Underseat/Rear Hatch Lights
31467637 x1 Right Rear Door Wire harness
31483768 x1 Left Rear Door Wire harness
31479482 x1 Cupholder Light
31403223 x1 Cupholder Light Wire Harness

In total its around $580 (w/o tax or shipping).

I think the toughest part would be dismantling the center console. The door panels look much easier to remove than years past. I'd probably just do the doors, hatch and under rear seat lights and call it a day unless the center console is easier than it looks. Honestly it's pretty shocking they didn't include some blanks on the door holes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yep, that's what I thought they were. Also, if someone has the ability to pull down a VIDA build sheet for a VIN, they can look up all the variant codes associated with that vehicle.

Assuming there isn't software at play here I think the below P/N list incorporates everything one would need to convert to PD02. Again, if there's an error here feel free to let me know.

31425656 x2 Left Door Handle Lights
31425657 x2 Right Door Handle Lights
30622905 x4 Screws for Door Handle Lights
31425660 x4 Left/Right Door Cubby Lights
31663793 x7 Puddle Lights/Underseat/Rear Hatch Lights
31467637 x1 Right Rear Door Wire harness
31483768 x1 Left Rear Door Wire harness
31479482 x1 Cupholder Light
31403223 x1 Cupholder Light Wire Harness

In total its around $580 (w/o tax or shipping).

I think the toughest part would be dismantling the center console. The door panels look much easier to remove than years past. I'd probably just do the doors, hatch and under rear seat lights and call it a day unless the center console is easier than it looks. Honestly it's pretty shocking they didn't include some blanks on the door holes.
The tunnel isn't impossible to remove. The main part would be removing the panel where the hazard button is. Then it's a matter of holding the carpet out of the way, and unsnapping the front carpet panels. The frame around the top of course covers every accessible screw, so the entire console would have to be taken out of the car to get to the screws holding the cover in place.

Cupholder lighting I'm still weary about. From factory, there's not a separate 'insert' for adding lighting to the cupholder. The plastic strips the LEDs shine through are already part of the cupholder for high illumination specs. You might be able to snap the wishbone-looking piece into place, but that's if non-high illumination cupholders have the slots for the light to shine through. Just my 2¢

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tunnel isn't impossible to remove. The main part would be removing the panel where the hazard button is. Then it's a matter of holding the carpet out of the way, and unsnapping the front carpet panels. The frame around the top of course covers every accessible screw, so the entire console would have to be taken out of the car to get to the screws holding the cover in place.

Cupholder lighting I'm still weary about. From factory, there's not a separate 'insert' for adding lighting to the cupholder. The plastic strips the LEDs shine through are already part of the cupholder for high illumination specs. You might be able to snap the wishbone-looking piece into place, but that's if non-high illumination cupholders have the slots for the light to shine through. Just my 2¢
I am mostly concerned with the door panel lights front and rear, and maybe the rear footwell lights. Thanks for the in-depth investigation into needed part numbers, etc. guys! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm patiently awaiting my backordered parts to arrive, I will see what we are dealing with when I get those. I'll share as much info as I can. Will see what the cupholder deal is. As far as I can see, the cupholder insert itself has no provisions for the lighting strip, but there also didn't seem to be any parts variants in the cupholder parts diagram.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm patiently awaiting my backordered parts to arrive, I will see what we are dealing with when I get those. I'll share as much info as I can. Will see what the cupholder deal is. As far as I can see, the cupholder insert itself has no provisions for the lighting strip, but there also didn't seem to be any parts variants in the cupholder parts diagram.
Awesome, I am *im*patiently waiting for you to get the parts. I did remove the door storage pocket blank insert that covers where the light would go and unfortunately, did not find any wiring harnesses or anything hidden or clipped away where the assembly could be plugged in to. But i also did not remove the door card so it could of course be somewhere else out of site. (Be careful removing the blanks from the door... they seem to clip in very strangely almost as if they are not to be removed once installed... I broke the passenger side blank and called it a day. there is a large tongue on one end, so it might be a pry and slide towards/away from you at the same time? I could't tell, because the other side clip that broke off was lost in the door :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
You actually have blanks? My V60 just has open holes everywhere. Two on each door (cubby light and puddle light). One under each rear seat too...but thats not as obvious.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My 40 R has the accent lights all over and looks way better inside. It is hard to understand the thinking that goes into things like leaving it out of the 60's. Too much understated is not a good thing. (or too much cost cutting or whatever)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts