SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a source for LEDs that don't have the slight glow at night, when they are off and you are driving? I HATE the slight glow. I have tried both stles from superbrightleds, and they both do that at night.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of my LEDs glow when off, and they're all from SuperBrightLEDs.
Weird. Several of the wifes also have a few burnt out LEDs, or flickering , so I tried some amazon ones with high ratings....I'll see how they do

·
Registered
720 Posts
Haven't seen that in a car, but I have seen it in homes when people use LEDs on timers that aren't designed for LEDs. Digital timers need to have constant current flow in order to run their circuitry so if they're wired in series with the bulbs, they necessarily have to pass a small amount of current through the bulb as well. With incandescent bulbs this doesn't matter because the amount of current is so small that the filaments never glow. With LEDs, however, this can result in flickering or, in dimmable LEDs, very faint amounts of light. More modern (and more expensive) timers have the timer circuitry wired in parallel with a relay that switches the lighting circuit on and off to avoid this.

My guess is that it's not the LEDs' fault, but rather that there's a small residual current in the circuit for some reason.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
My guess is that it's not the LEDs' fault, but rather that there's a small residual current in the circuit for some reason.
Most likely this is the result of Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)that is generally used to fade-out the dome light when it turns off (and on). As the pulse width gets shorter the LED gets dimmer. My guess is "off" is still a very short pulse width that these LEDs are responding to.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Why are people so obsessed with retrofitting LEDs into every light socket in their car? Based on what I've read on this board, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Why are people so obsessed with retrofitting LEDs into every light socket in their car? Based on what I've read on this board, the negatives far outweigh the positives.
Because its Fancy ;)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Because its Fancy ;)
Because they are brighter and use less energy so if left on they won't drain your battery.
BTW, my interior LEDs have that slight glow but it does not bother me. I save my hate for other things ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
No, its a slight residual glow, you can only see at night.
I have the same issue, slight glow. I assume it will not drain the battery. The LED's makes it much easier to see at night, when you are looking for something in the car.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Because they are brighter and use less energy so if left on they won't drain your battery.
BTW, my interior LEDs have that slight glow but it does not bother me. I save my hate for other things ;)
As for being brighter, I've seen post from several people that retrofitted saying they were too bright compared to stock. As for leaving them on and draining the battery, has anyone checked this to see if this is actually true? Meaning, two cars with the same charge in battery, one with LED one with regular bulbs. Leave them both on overnight, and the LED car started while the regular bulb car didn't.

·
Registered
375 Posts
As for being brighter, I've seen post from several people that retrofitted saying they were too bright compared to stock. As for leaving them on and draining the battery, has anyone checked this to see if this is actually true? Meaning, two cars with the same charge in battery, one with LED one with regular bulbs. Leave them both on overnight, and the LED car started while the regular bulb car didn't.
Your car has a self checking system for burnt out bulbs; the socket outputs a slight current that is looking for electrical resistance. This check is always on regardless of what bulb you put into the socket.

The current being put through is so small that a standard bulb will not light up; on the other hand, as a testament to the low power draw of LED bulbs, they give off a slight glow.

LEDs are by nature brighter due to their efficiency. How much brightness you want in your cabin is completely up to you. It's also worth noting almost all stock bulbs have a slight orange glow while LEDs have customized colors available.

If you're concerned about battery drain, use a multi-meter to measure the current and voltage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts