SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally noticed there is a clear lens above the door handles in the interior of my 07 S80 V8. I know many people have said it isn't prewired and even not possible to install. Well, I want to challenge that.

I'm currently looking at wiring diagrams of the car and realize I can tap the LED for the lock or window switches (to illuminate them at night) for power for a seperate LED to light the door handles.

Using these LEDs (http://www.oznium.com/prewired-surface-mount-led) I can mount them behind the lens and wire them to the harness that supplies the power and wiring to the door lock switch. From what I see to wire up the driver side for instance would be to tap the connector for Pin 1 (GND) which is Green/Red and Pin 4 which is violet for the 12V+ Illumination. The passenger side is identical, but different color wires. The rear doors require me to tap the window switches (which I believe should be pins 1 (12V+ illumination) and 6 (GND).

My only concern is that I may have to put a bigger resistor on the LED (and to reduce the milliamperage loading on the locking module) as these are very bright and I'm not sure what color I should use (preferably something stock looking). Does anyone know what color the light should be from newer model years?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. Thanks Kelvin for looking into this and please keep me posted on the findings.

PS - a slight "bluish xenon" colour with a resistor, as you mentioned, might match up with the guage cluster in our cars quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I don't think those LEDs will work well. The lens is made to be used with a single LED mounted on one side of the lens. There is a square hole where the LED module goes in. They're relatively cheap and available from most volvo part suppliers. I'd post a picture of the one I have but it's currently attached to the lens in my right rear door (with nothing wired to it.

The LED is a square casing, an inch or two long, with the actual led sticking up from the top. The LED itself is rather small. I don't remember how much of the LED casing goes into the lens but they mount together to properly align the light with the right portion of the lens. Other LEDs may not distribute the light properly so I would be worried about that. The end opposite of the LED just has two contacts recessed in the casing so you could attach wires there and potentially power the LED. Personally, I've been wanting to simply use the door harness from the executive model to get the LEDs working but haven't been able to nail down the proper part number.

If you do figure out a solution I'd definitely be interested in hearing it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts