SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking in this forum for awhile whilst researching possible replacement options for my Phaeton. I made the switch from Volvo to VW three years ago when I sold my S60R (a decision I regret) but still think of myself as a Volvo guy.

Most of the later-model S80 V8s I see for sale don't have all the available options. I specifically look for cars that have the adaptive cruise control as it's easy to pick out from photos. This car is Hawaii seems to be fully loaded:

2009 S80 V8 on Cars.com

If it weren't 4500 miles away, I think I'd be all over it. Maybe I could convince my wife to move to Hawaii...

Cheers,
Steven

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I've been lurking in this forum for awhile whilst researching possible replacement options for my Phaeton. I made the switch from Volvo to VW three years ago when I sold my S60R (a decision I regret) but still think of myself as a Volvo guy.

Most of the later-model S80 V8s I see for sale don't have all the available options. I specifically look for cars that have the adaptive cruise control as it's easy to pick out from photos. This car is Hawaii seems to be fully loaded:

2009 S80 V8 on Cars.com

If it weren't 4500 miles away, I think I'd be all over it. Maybe I could convince my wife to move to Hawaii...

Cheers,
Steven
I posted a couple days ago about this one in MN that looks pretty fully loaded:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4836717808.html

If you're interested I'd be happy to inspect it for you and do a VIDA scan etc...

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I'm curious about your Phaeton story. I've always been intrigued by that car, particularly the (at least percieved) value for money on the used market.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm curious about your Phaeton story. I've always been intrigued by that car, particularly the (at least percieved) value for money on the used market.
I'll second that.

re: Adaptive cruise control - Surprising what a calming influence this feature can have on long highway trips. No more constant adjustments to the cruise control when that jerk in the Pontiac Montana keeps passing you and then slowing down. My ranting and my blood pressure are both waaay down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a roommate in college who mentioned that his boss had a Phaeton. Fast forward 5 years or more and I was killing time on the internet and for whatever reason, I decided to research the Phaeton on a whim. The more I read, the more I liked the car and the premise behind its design...to be the absolute best car that VW could build at the time. It is a very intriguing vehicle. I went back and forth about pursuing a purchase for about a year and finally was pushed over the edge by the imminent arrival of our first child. The rear seat room in the S60R wasn't adequate enough for a rear-facing child seat (at least that's how I pitched it to my wife). So I found the best available Phaeton for sale that met my criteria and flew to Minneapolis to pick it up.

The Phaeton has been one of the most reliable cars I've had. Other than the issues the car had when I bought it, it hasn't required anything other than routine maintenance. Most of the issues were the result of carelessness by the previous owner and easily fixed. The Phaeton forum over at VWVortex is much like this forum...a wealth of knowledge and civility that you rarely find on the internet. The VCDS software is the VW/Audi equivalent of VIDA/DICE and lets mechanically inclined owners troubleshoot their complex cars.

Many people are scared by the Phaeton's poor reputation for reliability. From several years on the Phaeton forums, I don't think it's any less reliable than any other European car. The R was in the shop with a surprising degree of regularity. The Phaeton has yet to visit the shop for a breakdown. I just passed 100k miles and the interior looks better than our Hyundai Santa Fe which is 5 years and 50k miles newer.

I have a V8 instead of a W12 engine. The performance is adequate but not exhilarating but it's a 5000lb car. It will do 80+ miles an hour in quiet, stable, comfort all day long but the acceleration doesn't get one excited. The seats in my S60R were more comfortable than the 18-way heated/cooled/massaging seats in the Phaeton. No one does seats better than Volvo. Parts can be expensive (I could buy at least three 4C struts for the price of one Phaeton air strut) and some software procedures are dealer-only such as replacing a lost key. The electronic systems are getting to be dated as they were designed in the early 2000s. The CD-based navigation is a real drag.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The reliability comes as a bit of a surprise, given that it's a highly complex VW. Then again a lot of engineering effort into it.

I believe the Hyundai comparison, having owned a 2008 Santa Fe myself. Great vehicle but the quality veneer was a bit thin in places; namely the leather and some of the interior plastics. Then again we're talking about a price range where even Toyotas and Hondas come with Walmart-grade materials these days. No walnut and polished metal there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a highly complex VW but the build quality and quality of materials are outstanding. Plus, a lot of the technology developed in the Phaeton has made its way into newer cars.

The Phaeton features I especially like/would miss the most are auto dimming outside mirrors, a heated steering wheel, driver preferences associated with specific keys, and soft-close doors. The car also does a lot of neat little (some would say trivial) things like changing the park position of the windshield wipers to help increase blade life.

·
3,391 Posts
I'll second that.

re: Adaptive cruise control - Surprising what a calming influence this feature can have on long highway trips. No more constant adjustments to the cruise control when that jerk in the Pontiac Montana keeps passing you and then slowing down. My ranting and my blood pressure are both waaay down.
It is amazing how spoiling the adaptive cruise control is. I always take my S80 on long trips because of the adaptive cruise, but this week, business called that I drive to Michigan where the roads are awful. The last time I drove my S80 to Michigan, I ended up with two flat tires, and a flatbed ride to a tire shop where I had to overpay for a set of Michelins I didn't want (I'm a Pirelli man). So, that said, I drive my XC90 this time. I found myself virtually unable to feel comfortable using the cruise in it because I found it aggravating that it wouldn't slow down upon reading a car ahead. I ended up driving nearly the whole way without using cruise. I don't believe I'll ever be able to own a car without adaptive cruise again. This isn't an exaggeration, either.

·
3,391 Posts
And by the way, the ones in Hawaii, and Minnesota, both have every option and package for their respective years. The advantage of the Hawaii car is the executive package, and the advantage of the Minnesota car is the Sport Package. Neither were available in either year. All of the executive package equipment can be fitted to an older year (I've done it). However, the Four-C cannont be fitted to the newer cars. That said, the 2009 models also have lane departure warning and driver alert control, where the 2007s do not. That feature came out in 2008. If it were me, I'd get the 2007 and fit all of the executive goodies. After all that IS what I did. :) (Well, I have a 2008, but still). I believe that 2008 is the best year for the S80 V8 since it is the final year for the Sport Package, and it received the lane departure warning etc, and all of the executive stuff can be easily retrofitted to it. Just my personal opinion. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts

2009 S80 V8 on Cars.com

Cheers,
Steven
I actually just bought a 2010 S80 V8 Executive with all options. The only 2 options it doesn't have (and, frankly, that I don't really care for) are the refrigerator and RSES. I spent months (from about learly-/mid-September until December) car hunting. I saw the one in Hawaii. Not sure if you or anyone else noticed on here but that has the very rare refrigerator option in the back. It's als a great buy because it's a 2009 (aka not that old) and the miles are very low. I totally would've gotten it if shipping wasn't about $2,000-$2,500.

Just FYI, the price of that car has gone down quite a bit. When I first saw it, it was either like $20,995. Then it got lowered by a grand and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually just bought a 2010 S80 V8 Executive with all options. The only 2 options it doesn't have (and, frankly, that I don't really care for) are the refrigerator and RSES. I spent months (from about learly-/mid-September until December) car hunting. I saw the one in Hawaii. Not sure if you or anyone else noticed on here but that has the very rare refrigerator option in the back. It's als a great buy because it's a 2009 (aka not that old) and the miles are very low. I totally would've gotten it if shipping wasn't about $2,000-$2,500.

Just FYI, the price of that car has gone down quite a bit. When I first saw it, it was either like $20,995. Then it got lowered by a grand and so on and so forth.
I, too have watched the price drop on the Hawaii car. I'd imagine it would cost at least $2500 for Matson or Pasha to haul the car to the West Coast and then another $1200 to get it East.

I've seen one or two T6s with the executive package and most options. I know the V8 has a great following here but I'd be open to a loaded T6. Rear seat LCDs and the fridge aren't important.

VW decided not put adaptive cruise control in US market Phaetons for some reason, even though it was available in Europe. One Phaeton owner has attempted to retrofit it with the right parts. No idea whether or not he was successful.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I've seen one or two T6s with the executive package and most options. I know the V8 has a great following here but I'd be open to a loaded T6. Rear seat LCDs and the fridge aren't important.
If you can find a 2011+ T6 in your price range, BUY IT, that motor is amazing (better than the older T6s). It's basically the same power as the V8 but far better MPG. Also you can get it tuned... :)
Probably really hard to find a T6 with the Dynamic suspension though (which is what you want).

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I, too have watched the price drop on the Hawaii car. I'd imagine it would cost at least $2500 for Matson or Pasha to haul the car to the West Coast and then another $1200 to get it East.
That's a little extreme to get it to the mainland. My cousin shipped his lifted Ford F-350 Super Duty Dually from Hawaii to California for $1000. $1200 to get it to the east coast is reasonable though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a little extreme to get it to the mainland. My cousin shipped his lifted Ford F-350 Super Duty Dually from Hawaii to California for $1000. $1200 to get it to the east coast is reasonable though.
You're right. Matson quotes $1100 to ship a vehicle from Hawaii to either Long Beach or Oakland or even Seattle. It's $1700 for their "Guaranteed Availability Service."

I did a stint in the merchant marine and saw the Matson ships bringing cars into and out of Oakland. We just got to carry petroleum products (and never made port in Hawaii).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts