SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of my previous Volvos exhibited this - '06 XC90, '08 XC70, '10 S40. On my '12 S60 T5, in gear and at idle, the steering wheel gradually stiffens up to almost a "lock". Using a little elevated force, at standstill, alleviates the "lock" feel. My theory is that this is some sort of new steering force compensation, or possibly brake energy regeneration related.

Anyone else understand the steering feel I'm referring to? It helps if you've driven other Volvos perhaps. I'm trying to figure out what it is - it's an interesting feature - just wondering what it's for.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The steering on the 2nd gen S60's is electro-hydraulic. An electric motor drives the pump, instead of the engine belt driven pump to gain a marginal increase in mpg (since the pump only is used when steering, this places less drag on the engine, but more on the alternator). When the wheel isn't moved, the pump shuts off. When moved passed its threshold, the pump activates. Basically, the pump had turned off and your getting the feeling of unassisted steering. When you turn the wheel enough, the pump turns back on and you get assit back.

You can see how it works after the pump turns off (which is about 3-4 seconds with no steering input. If your turn off the radio and climate, you may here a little whine emit from the engine compartment)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Out of curiosity, did you have any problems with the steering in your other Volvos? I ask because a friend of a friend of mine had a horrible time with the steering in his C70. Constant problems/failures. I believe that one was all electric steering. Just wondering if Volvo was having issues with their all-electric steering causing them to go Hybrid on the new S60. My previous car and our Lexus are both electric steering and no issues at all so it can be done correctly..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of curiosity, did you have any problems with the steering in your other Volvos? I ask because a friend of a friend of mine had a horrible time with the steering in his C70. Constant problems/failures. I believe that one was all electric steering. Just wondering if Volvo was having issues with their all-electric steering causing them to go Hybrid on the new S60. My previous car and our Lexus are both electric steering and no issues at all so it can be done correctly..
No steering issues were encountered with previous cars; though, I typically trade-in at around 30k miles. I don't think any of my prior Volvos have had electric steering, based on steering feel. I don't think my '10 XC60 has it either; the steering feel in the new S60 is genuinely unique, compared to any other Volvo I've owned.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Do you have the Dynamic package? Adjustable steering force might be what you're feeling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts