SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated if any of you have experienced this...

After lunch today I got in the R and turned the key - nothing! Actually the dash lights and the radio came on, but no cranking from the starter. It felt like the interlock that doesn't let it turn if you don't have the brake and the clutch in was preventing it, but I was stepping on both. After a little jiggling with the brake and turning it off and on, it eventually came to life. When I got back to the office I shut it down and restarted it OK, but now I'm nervous.

Anything else I can try besides a tow truck if this happens again? Thank you.

Eric

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Could be the clutch position sensor, but those usually fail the other way (so you can start the car without pushing on the clutch). Easy enough to check though, it's right behind the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had a similar problem. Turned out it was my Key Fob. IF the car doesn't start, try taking the key out and flipping it over. I have sense replaced my key battery and have not had any issues (although I also replaced the car batter around that same time).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The battery in your fob has no part of the immobilizer. The chip for immobilizer is powered by magnetic pulses from antenna ring inducing current in the coil inside the tiny chip.
Your car battery may have been the fix.
The key having too many keys on it and not staying latched with metal key blade straight can make the chip not receive and broad cast from the antenna ring.
These days so many cars have security chips and other keys on the Volvo key ring may create interference for the receiver.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, it's happening again. It worked fine for 2 weeks, but now turning the key gets nothing. Do starters fail intermittantly like this. All the dash lights come on and I can feel the brake settle because it's expecting the engine to come on. I hear a click but no cranking, which is why I'm suspecting a starter.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Yes starters can be intermittent. The solenoid is powered through the starter armature. If there is a dead spot on the commutator, dirty brushes etc, the starter can randomly stop on this dead spot.

A check for this would be that when this condition occurs look for 12v on the SMALL solenoid wire while someone is attempting to crank it over. If you see 12v it is a pretty good bet that it is a starter and or solenoid issue.

The starter is hard to get to on these cars, but sometimes a good whack with a non metallic object can free up a stuck solenoid.

If you do not see 12 volts on the small wire while attempting to crank, you have some other issue, immobilizer etc.

I should add that the brake does not need to be depressed in order to crank, only the clutch.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a similar problem caused by corrosion on the starter wire. Car would randomly not start and then after a few minutes would fire right up. Next time it won't start pop the hood and shake the starter wire. (you can reach down and grab the fattest wire you can find pretty easily) If the car starts right up afterwards you've found your problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, guys. I wonder if there's any way to make the starter spin by rolling the car? I'm thinking not because it wouldn't engage if the clutch weren't in. Just trying to figure out how to nudge it a little if it's sitting on the deadspot.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Thanks, guys. I wonder if there's any way to make the starter spin by rolling the car? I'm thinking not because it wouldn't engage if the clutch weren't in. Just trying to figure out how to nudge it a little if it's sitting on the deadspot.
you won't be able to get the starter to spin by rolling the car, the teeth on the starter don't engage the flywheel ring gear unless it is 'on'

You can actually test starter by taking a wrench and bridging both terminals on starter (hot wire/ground) --use a crap wrench though. be ready for a spark though so don't let it surprise you. if that functions fine and turns over motor, i'd then suspect signal to starter, probably clutch position sensor, or it could be starter solenoid going bad i suppose.

as rogersampson points out You could alt. get a continuity tester as well to test for power to solenoid when you turn the key, ground tester to chassis, put probe/wire on starter solenoid where ignition wire comes in to rule out wiring/ignition. if light goes on, you know you have power from ignition going there (you will need to turn key to on.) and it is a starter issue.

if starter doesn't turn, test for 12v going to starter (hot wire running from battery). if you are getting power to the starter, i'd suspect a bad starter.

if starter is fine but not getting power i'd start looking at wiring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts