SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you have probably noticed in my prior thread, I recently picked up a 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 with about 230k miles on the clock. I'm no stranger to high miles on this powertrain, as my S80 V8 has almost exactly the same numbers and has been a fabulous vehicle. I bought my XC90 at a dealer-only auction with no chance of test driving it beforehand or even really giving it a good look-over. This results in getting a very cheap price, but it's certainly a gamble.

The other day when I finally drove it for the first time, everything was great around town. "Score!", I thought. Then, it came time to get on the highway. As soon as I got up to speed, and the car shifted through 5th gear, I immediately got the "transmission service required" message, and the car was flaring when going in and out of 5th gear. As the transmission heated up more, it wouldn't even maintain 5th gear at all, but would slip out completely under any throttle. Everything else was fine. All of the issues were limited to shifting into and out of 5th gear, as well as the use of 5th gear itself.

I figured that before I would order a new transmission, I would take the car to the local Volvo dealership and have them do a flush on the transmission just as a last resort. I did a lot of reading on here, and it seems like this transmission responds pretty well to a good power flush. I dropped off the car at the Volvo dealership yesterday AM, and two hours and $200 later, I now have a perfectly functioning transmission. It is spot on with no issues at all. No warning message ever, and it functions perfectly. No flaring or slipping.

I just wanted to post this to remind everybody to try a flush before spending big bucks on a new transmission!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
But I thought the fluid was for life??? ;) Silly Volvo.

Glad to hear the flush worked out. I do them on all our Volvos as part of regular maintenance and we always notice smoother shifting afterwards.

Are you sure they did a "power" flush and not a "drain and fill?" Volvo TSBs call for drain and fills when dealing with shifting problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bravo!!! Maybe that's how Volvo got repeat customers ;), by not having them change the fluid. HAHAHA

It truly is common sense, no fluid lasts forever, and if it did, it wouldn't be nearly as good on day 2000 as compared to day 200. I don buy into the 10,000 mile oil change either. Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
With that mileage, It was certainly a car driven long distances daily. I do between 40 and 50k a year on mine and when you do that mileage, routine maintenance's are lost if you don't do a service weekly. I would also recommend flushing the Haldex and differentials. If the transmission wasn't done, then you can guarantee those weren't either.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I thought the fluid was for life??? ;) Silly Volvo.

Glad to hear the flush worked out. I do them on all our Volvos as part of regular maintenance and we always notice smoother shifting afterwards.

Are you sure they did a "power" flush and not a "drain and fill?" Volvo TSBs call for drain and fills when dealing with shifting problems.
They definitely do a power flush using a BG Products flush machine. First they drain the original fluid, then the machine pumps through a special chemical that disolves and dislodges solid particulates. Then, the transmission is refilled with BG Products Synthetic fluid which meets the criteria of Toyota Type IV fluid. I had the same thing done as preventative maintenance on my S80 about a year ago, and it really improved shift feel.

·
Registered
572 Posts
They definitely do a power flush using a BG Products flush machine. First they drain the original fluid, then the machine pumps through a special chemical that disolves and dislodges solid particulates. Then, the transmission is refilled with BG Products Synthetic fluid which meets the criteria of Toyota Type IV fluid. I had the same thing done as preventative maintenance on my S80 about a year ago, and it really improved shift feel.
BG Trans fluid induces a shuddering 1-2 2-3 shift in these transmissions. OEM only!

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BG Trans fluid induces a shuddering 1-2 2-3 shift in these transmissions. OEM only!
I've been running the BG fluid in my S80 for about 40k miles now. It shifts perfectly. In fact, I noticed a marked improvement in shift feel almost immediately upon switching to it. It's all my local Volvo dealership uses.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've been running the BG fluid in my S80 for about 40k miles now. It shifts perfectly. In fact, I noticed a marked improvement in shift feel almost immediately upon switching to it. It's all my local Volvo dealership uses.
It was all we used to use to, until we kept getting cars back with a low speed shuddering shift. Flushed again with OE fluid & never have another issue.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I saw some people having problems with toyota fluid which suppose to be the same as volvo, but they did switch to volvo again and problems gone. So for me volvo for life.

Also i do not recommend to use the machine, volvo has a really easy way to replace the oil.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I saw some people having problems with toyota fluid which suppose to be the same as volvo, but they did switch to volvo again and problems gone. So for me volvo for life.

Also i do not recommend to use the machine, volvo has a really easy way to replace the oil.
Are you talking DIY?

I would like to fix the occasional shudder in my XC90 transmission. (95,000 miles)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Because of mileage, not because it was burnt, the dealer did the BG flush and fill on ours. A few thousand miles later they told s the fluid was burnt. They replaced that with a synthetic that supposedly met 3301 spec. I think It was Valvoline. A few thousand later they said that was burnt.

The said they would flush it one more time on the house(lest we forget who caused the problem in the fist place), and used Volvo fluid. The oil is changed every 3-7k miles. we have not been told it is burnt since. Others may use BG in the aisin 5 speed, not me.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The goal here was not just to replace the oil, but to clean out whatever blockage in the valve body was causing my 5th gear issues.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well then. Sounds like I'll be scheduling the XC-90 for transmission fluid flush and fill and timing belt in the spring. We're now rolling past 100k mile marker on the V8.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The goal here was not just to replace the oil, but to clean out whatever blockage in the valve body was causing my 5th gear issues.
i agree but dont forget pushing all the material out of the tranny can make small "things" stuck on the valve body, thats ehy at least all the people i know including volvo tech doesnt like the idea to make a flush with the machine.

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since I was already resigned to having to purchase a new transmission entirely, I figured I had nothing to lose by doing the flush. The local Volvo dealership here swears by the BG flush machine, and that's all they use when doing a fluid change. I know that many people feel that it is a bad idea, and I actually was very much against using a power flush. When I took in my S80 last year, I asked them to change the fluid using the VIDA procedure, and they flushed it with the machine anyway, ignoring what I said. I was mad at first, but it made a huge difference in how the transmission felt, and there were absolutely NO ill effects from the procedure. Since then, I am a believer in this process.

I don't mean to step on anybody's toes, and certainly everybody is entitled to their opinion. I just feel that the Aisin transmissions respond well to power flushes.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm sorry, but the transmission machine flushing service is a smoke-and-mirrors scheme that does nothing the "DIY pump and drain" process does ... except possibly leave behind cleaners and contaminants from the prior customer's transmission. It has become a cash cow for dealerships ... they charge boo-koo money for this process that is not approved by the manufacturer....and there has been years of disagreements/litagaions between parent corporations and dealerships ... when dealerships attempt to collect warranty funds from the corporation, when the corporation feels (knows) that the transmission was likely damaged by the flushing machine.

The transmission includes a high pressure pump that picks up the fluid from the pan, through a screen, and delivers high-pressure fluid to the torque converter and various valves and actuators .... after the fluid does its work and is reduced in pressure, it goes though the heat exchanger and back to the pan. For some reason, some folks think the cleaning/flushing pump will send cleaning fluid through the high pressure path ... doing all sorts of good cleaning along the way. Well, it does no such .... the flushing machine only affects the low pressure path, I.E., ... the heat exchanger and back to the pan. The high pressure circuit could be ported into on some transmissions ... but that would require much more knowledge of the transmission. And it would require special fittings usually. Not for the timid!

Don't believe? Just observe...

·
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't want this to turn into the stupid flush vs no flush argument that has been done to death on every car forum on the planet. I was just saying "this is what I did, and this was the result." It doesn't mean that I car what other people do with their cars.

If I had the ability, I'd delete the whole darn thread as it's clear that I am doing the forum a disservice by posting the experience that I had.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I agree, the great thing is that you save a lot of money for new tranny and you have an amazing XC now!!! Love thr led tail

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
There aren't too many data points at 200+k miles on the V8s and their respective transmissions. I am glad that itwontstopsnowin posted the experience. Anyone else with over 200k miles please stand up and share your recommendations...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts