SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am a looonng time car nut- mostly subarus, toyotas, mustangs, and corvettes, and volvos are about the only vehicles I know really nothing about other than loving them lots. I am looking at a 2016 v60 awd premier package with under 20k miles as a daily....School me on reliability gas mileage, maintenance, snow handling, and anything else. Why do I want this car over an Outback/forester turbo or Mazda Cx5? I am not even considering a vw wagon simply because l do not trust them at all. I know that older Volvos are like toyotas in that they just keep going forever, and I am hoping they are still this good....

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Hey guys, I am a looonng time car nut- mostly subarus, toyotas, mustangs, and corvettes, and volvos are about the only vehicles I know really nothing about other than loving them lots. I am looking at a 2016 v60 awd premier package with under 20k miles as a daily....School me on reliability gas mileage, maintenance, snow handling, and anything else. Why do I want this car over an Outback/forester turbo or Mazda Cx5? I am not even considering a vw wagon simply because l do not trust them at all. I know that older Volvos are like toyotas in that they just keep going forever, and I am hoping they are still this good....
I know the 15.5 and early 16s suffer from possible oil consumption issues. But I am not positive if the AWD is affected. The Drive-Es are though. Would be a question for TECH or gunshow.

That'd be the only major issue if it applies. I've driven a V60 and they are fantastic vehicles, especially an AWD.

Packages:

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE•Keyless Drive (standard R-Design) •Rear Park Assist Camera•HomeLink® Integrated Garage Door Opener •Digital Compass•Grocery Bag Holder•Power Retractable Exterior Mirrors

TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE(Requires Premier Trim Level)•Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist•Active High Beam•Road Sign Information•Lane Departure Warning•Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake•Cyclist Detection with Full Auto Brake•Pedestrian Detection with Full Auto Brake•Driver Alert Control•Distance Alert

CLIMATE PACKAGE•Heated front seats•Heated rear seats•Heated windshield•Heated windshield washer nozzles•Heated steering wheel•IAQS (Interior Air Quality System)

BLIS PACKAGE•Blind Spot Information System•Cross traffic alert•Front and rear park assist•Lane change merge aid

SPORT PACKAGE (Optional T5)•Steering wheel gear paddles•19" Bor alloy wheels•Sport chassis

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
This generation S/V60 came out in 2011 so by 2016 most of the bugs had been worked out of it. The 16 V60 AWD has the 5 cylinder motor, not the 4 cylinder Drive E that had ring issues on the 15.5 and 16. I really like the 5 cylinder motor and think it was one of the best ones (if not the best) that Volvo ever made.

Reliability is good but probably won't be as good as your Toyota, Subaru or Mazda examples - this is not the old school red block 240 or 740 that you may be thinking of but a more modern euro marque that's probably about as reliable as other euro marques.

Gas mileage will probably be in the low to mid 20's mixed highway and in town - not great but not awful. You might see as high as high 20's on a long trip and as low as the teens for lots of stop and go driving. Last year I had 5 Volvo's in the garage and over a few days I had the chance to drive each of them and according to the trip computer the mileage for all 5 cars ranging from a 1995 to a 2016 was right at 23 - each and every car. YMMV.

Maintenance is pretty easy on these cars if you've done work on other cars. Oil changes, filter changes, brakes can be done in your garage with the proper tools - nothing difficult there.

Snow and winter handling is excellent - being engineered in Sweden and all. Get a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires and you should be able to get through most anything, ground clearance permitted.

Used Volvo's are a great deal because they depreciate pretty hard and the V60 has since been redesigned.

Safety is also a priority for Volvo so the car will probably feel a little more solid than a Subaru or a Mazda. Just be aware that the V60 is not a large vehicle - more of a sport hatch than a wagon so if cargo carrying capacity is important this may not be the car for you.

Good luck on the search, they are great cars.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Aside from the fact that I got an early Drive-E engine which was likely the reason behind a broken piston, my main gripe about my V60 is the limited rear leg room. When I had my son's car seat rear facing, the passenger seat was not a comfortable place to sit. It's now front facing and with my wife in the passenger seat (she is short), he is still able to reach the seat with his feet. It's not that easy to get him in and out of the seat either. I'm not sure if the prior generation V70s or XC70s had more rear legroom, but know what I know now about how little the V60 has, I would have researched the V70 and XC70 more and possibly considered them if they were better in that department.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aside from the fact that I got an early Drive-E engine which was likely the reason behind a broken piston, my main gripe about my V60 is the limited rear leg room. When I had my son's car seat rear facing, the passenger seat was not a comfortable place to sit. It's now front facing and with my wife in the passenger seat (she is short), he is still able to reach the seat with his feet. It's not that easy to get him in and out of the seat either. I'm not sure if the prior generation V70s or XC70s had more rear legroom, but know what I know now about how little the V60 has, I would have researched the V70 and XC70 more and possibly considered them if they were better in that department.
The rear leg room was the primary reason I purchased my '16 S60 inscription which added 3" to the rear leg room. Bought it right before my first child and now have 2 car seats in the thing with a 3rd going in soon (already tested and yes all 3 fit!).

I went to the dealer really wanting a wagon since my mother drove a 840 back in the day and I LOVED it, but the v90s are the closest comparison and outside my price range. Wife was in the backseat during test ride and complained of the legroom so had to pass.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Find a V60 T5 AWD in Platinum trim if you can. The Platinum trim adds the following:

PLATINUM
• Leather seating surfaces
• Sensus Navigation with mapcare
• Adaptive digital TFT display
• Auto dimming rearview mirror
• Brightwork, side windows
• Keyless Drive
• Rear park assist camera
• HomeLink® integrated garage door opener
• Grocery bag holder
• Power retractable exterior mirrors
• Harman Kardon Premium Sound System
• Active dual xenon headlights
with headlight washers
(Standard on T6 AWD R-Design)
• Auto dimming exterior mirrors
• Accent lighting
• Adaptive Cruise Control with queue assist
• Active high beam
• Road sign information
• Lane Departure Warning
(T5 AWD and T6 AWD R-Design only)
• Lane Keeping Aid (T5 only)
• Collision warning with full auto brake
• Cyclist detection with full auto brake
• Pedestrian detection with full auto brake
• Driver Alert Control
• Distance Alert
• Integrated silver roof rails

·
Registered
445 Posts
The rear leg room was the primary reason I purchased my '16 S60 inscription which added 3" to the rear leg room. Bought it right before my first child and now have 2 car seats in the thing with a 3rd going in soon (already tested and yes all 3 fit!).
Radian carseat? Only one I can think of that's narrow enough to fit 3 across.

It's probably a case of context in terms of how you feel about the legroom. The V60 is definitely tighter than my '03 Passat wagon and especially my '03 Infiniti I35. There is just no comparison. Fortunately, my girls (11 and 13) are not too tall and are the main rear seat occupants.

for the record, my parents used to have a 740 wagon, 940 wagon, and 960 sedan.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Find a V60 T5 AWD in Platinum trim if you can. The Platinum trim adds the following:

PLATINUM
• Keyless Drive
• Rear park assist camera
• HomeLink® integrated garage door opener
• Grocery bag holder
• Power retractable exterior mirrors
• Harman Kardon Premium Sound System
• Active dual xenon headlights
with headlight washers
(Standard on T6 AWD R-Design)
• Auto dimming exterior mirrors
• Accent lighting
• Adaptive Cruise Control with queue assist
• Active high beam
• Road sign information
• Lane Departure Warning
(T5 AWD and T6 AWD R-Design only)
• Lane Keeping Aid (T5 only)
• Collision warning with full auto brake
• Cyclist detection with full auto brake
• Pedestrian detection with full auto brake
• Driver Alert Control
• Distance Alert
• Integrated silver roof rails
This is all correct and taken from the 2016 V60 Brochure, but it is important to note that the Premier trim level includes some of those things:

https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/brochures/volvo/2016-v60.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts