SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey P3 folks!

At SEMA last week we talked to P3Cars, a vendor providing high quality vent integrated digital boost gauge units, about the possibility of releasing a kit for the Volvo community! Their digital gauges have the capability of displaying many vehicle diagnostics features such as:

- Boost/Vacuum
- Intake Air Temperature
- Coolant Temperature
- Exhaust Gas Temperature
- Ignition Timing
- Digital Tachometer
- Speedometer
- Battery Voltage
- Throttle Position (%)
- Configurable Shift light
- 0-60 Timer
- OBDII Code Read/Clear
*To read more on the features and other functions, scroll 60% down the page to Operation Details: http://www.p3cars.com/install/

P3Cars have been developing kits for our other customers (Audi, BMW, VW) with great success and customer reviews, and we feel the Volvo tuning scene has really grown and should be looked at a potential market as well for them! On average, for around $229 USD you receive the kit which reads the Boost, and for around $389 on average you will get the full monty as listed above! For an extra charge, P3 also gives the option of them mounting the unit in an OEM vent for you as well as several other options. Install is a simple 5-10 minute job requiring no cutting, very clean finish, and all units are made in the USA custom to each application :)

Not sure which models to try first (P2 S60/V70, P1 C30/S40/V50, or P3 S60/V60), so we are posting this to see everyone's response and then work with P3 accordingly. Check out some of their existing offerings, and here are several customer reviews:

Extremely detailed (w/pics) write up on installation and review:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Review-and-Recommendations-MK6-Golf-R-GTI-TDI

In-action:

Blue and White lighting can be had as well :)

Let us know what you think!

Cheers,

Humza

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I think it's really clean solution. And you might have a good market in the Volvo community seeing as we don't even get an engine temperature gauge from Volvo anymore. Honestly it does seem a bit pricey when you can get a ScanGaugeII for less than half of your asking price that can display 4 parameters at once. At this price point I would like to see a better display, possibly with graphics using OLED or TFT technology. Even VFD would be better than LED.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I saw a review of the new Audi TT on Motor Week. The HVAC controls and readouts as well as some other readouts are integrated in the center knobs of the vents. Was extremely spiffy. Almost enough to make me want a TT. As soon as they come out with a wagon.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I saw a review of the new Audi TT on Motor Week. The HVAC controls and readouts as well as some other readouts are integrated in the center knobs of the vents. Was extremely spiffy. Almost enough to make me want a TT. As soon as they come out with a wagon.
They have one, it's called the Golf Estate.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks really nicely integrated, and the install looks easy on the VW. As I have not really investigated on my Volvo V60, are you guys assuming install is going to be similarly easy?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
>> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Golf-R-GTI-TDI

The discussions around accurate boost readings are interesting. I think the
Volvo's would also need an analog boost sensor to get accurate boost readings
(as opposed to calculating it from OBDII information).

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's really clean solution. And you might have a good market in the Volvo community seeing as we don't even get an engine temperature gauge from Volvo anymore. Honestly it does seem a bit pricey when you can get a ScanGaugeII for less than half of your asking price that can display 4 parameters at once. At this price point I would like to see a better display, possibly with graphics using OLED or TFT technology. Even VFD would be better than LED.
The ScanGaugeII is a good product, but definitely not an OEM look as pointed by an existing SGII user on the R forum that he would jump on this unit immediately and discard his SGII. While we don't doubt it's abilities, it is really a tack on unit and if that is irrelevant to someone then the SGII is a good buy indeed. My limited personal experience with SGII has been that the readings were a bit small in font, not able to catch a number at a quick glance, and it almost seemed crowded with 4 readings at once.

The P3Cars unit is definitely for the enthusiast looking for an OEM look, as Aaron showed with his S3 :)

Looks really nicely integrated, and the install looks easy on the VW. As I have not really investigated on my Volvo V60, are you guys assuming install is going to be similarly easy?
We have limited experience with the P3 S60/V60 to know if there's any complication out of the ordinary, but it's really quite a standard install process. Control Box sits in the driver's side fuse panel, running a wiring down to the OBDII port, and a bone tool should release the vent. We do feel the 5-10 minutes is optimistic and for someone with prior experience, a newbie working carefully should have it done 30 minutes to an hour. All you need is some free time, patience, and :beer: after.

Note: you have the option of buying the gauge pre-installed into an OEM vent :)

>> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Golf-R-GTI-TDI

The discussions around accurate boost readings are interesting. I think the
Volvo's would also need an analog boost sensor to get accurate boost readings
(as opposed to calculating it from OBDII information).
Correct, the analog boost sensor is recommended for Volvos for more accurate readings :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had something like that in my M3 E30.
Very interested if it were available for a V,60 2015.

Marco.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had something like that in my M3 E30.
Very interested if it were available for a V,60 2015.

Marco.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
I can't be the only one curious to know more about your E30? Hopefully you kept it as values have sky rocketed!

Regardless, thank you for your contribution :) We're getting good insights and positive responses from the majority thus far!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd be interested for the P3 S60/V60. When I thought I was getting a GTI, the P3Cars gauge was on my list of mods I wanted. Right now, I'm using a Bluetooth OBDII reader but I'd like something that's better integrated.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I would be interested in a P3 Gauge; been putting off when I was going to install the R Boost gauge that I have.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I use the Garmin ECO HD OBD reader and display gauges on my portable nav unit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am interested..

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm interested to use it for my 15.5 V60R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had one of these on my 135i, awesome gauge, and I would love one for my S60

·
Registered
46 Posts
Definitely interested for my '97 855R!

Wanted one every since I came across them a year or two ago. Even tried contacting them once to ask if they made any for Volvo seeing how many of us with P80, P1, P2 & P3 are into tuning. If I recall the answer back was that they didn't have any current offerings in their product lines and were looking into it as future possibility, but nothing ever came out so I have completed forgotten about them.

It's good to hear that enough Volvo interest was present at SEMA that they are seriously looking into it. Hopefully they wont forget about P80 folks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts