SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

At SEMA last week we talked to P3Cars, a vendor providing high quality vent integrated digital boost gauge units, about the possibility of releasing a kit for the Volvo community! Their digital gauges have the capability of displaying many vehicle diagnostics features such as:

- Boost/Vacuum
- Intake Air Temperature
- Coolant Temperature
- Exhaust Gas Temperature
- Ignition Timing
- Digital Tachometer
- Speedometer
- Battery Voltage
- Throttle Position (%)
- Configurable Shift light
- 0-60 Timer
- OBDII Code Read/Clear

P3Cars have been developing kits for our other customers (Audi, BMW, VW) with great success and customer reviews, and we feel the Volvo tuning scene has really grown and should be looked at a potential market as well for them! On average, for around $229 USD you receive the kit which reads the Boost, and for around $389 on average you will get the full monty as listed above! For an extra charge, P3 also gives the option of them mounting the unit in an OEM vent for you as well as several other options. Install is a simple 5-10 minute job requiring no cutting, very clean finish, and all units are made in the USA custom to each application :)

Not sure which models to try first (S60/V70 or C30/S40/V50), so we are posting this to see everyone's response and then coordinate with P3 accordingly. Check out some of their existing offerings, and here are several customer reviews:

Extremely detailed (w/pics) write up on installation and review:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Review-and-Recommendations-MK6-Golf-R-GTI-TDI

In-action:

Let us know what you think!

Cheers,

Humza

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Humza ,

I don't know if it's a good idea...I'm thinking about the next one http://www.volvotech.eu/Function-Extender/cfe-le
Hey Val, the Canbus Function Extender is a completely different product that serves a totally different purpose but just happens to have a fraction of the features that is IF you chose the Tech edition which most do not. Definitely not a vehicle diagnostics tool, it's simply a box with some nifty features like windows up/down, and mirrors folding/unfolding.

You are really comparing Apples to Oranges with this one :p

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
They look good though they block some of your vent which isn't a huge deal. I'd like one if the numbers were a different color. Blue would be ideal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey Val, the Canbus Function Extender is a completely different product that serves a totally different purpose but just happens to have a fraction of the features that is IF you chose the Tech edition which most do not. Definitely not a vehicle diagnostics tool, it's simply a box with some nifty features like windows up/down, and mirrors folding/unfolding.

You are really comparing Apples to Oranges with this one :p
Not , I'm not :))) I'm also freak of electronic gadgets, but as software embedded engineer I really understand the cost of them. So you're right P3Cars gives more than simple CAN Extender , but it's also huge diff in price and be honest compare to tech pack of CAN extender the diff isn't too big. Or we can compare to ScanGaugeII http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/ , it costs about 160$ , gives the technical performance and more than... 4 diff gauges at the same time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Not , I'm not :))) I'm also freak of electronic gadgets, but as software embedded engineer I really understand the cost of them. So you're right P3Cars gives more than simple CAN Extender , but it's also huge diff in price and be honest compare to tech pack of CAN extender the diff isn't too big. Or we can compare to ScanGaugeII http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/ , it costs about 160$ , gives the technical performance and more than... 4 diff gauges at the same time.
You raise a good point. I'm not up to date on all these digital guages. I've always used simple mechanical ones. But like you pointed out why spend more when the scan gauge does the same thing. The P3 guage definitely is sleeker though but for the price I think alot of people would take the scan gauge. Just my opinion anyways

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A similar topic came up on the S60/V60 2011+ sub forum, so for the sake of repetitiveness here is my response below :)

If SGII does have all the features then by that means it is a good buy. All comes down to preference really :)

This unit is on the high-end for pricing no doubt, thus we can look into offering an introduction price or group buy!

Cheers,

Humza
You raise a good point. I'm not up to date on all these digital guages. I've always used simple mechanical ones. But like you pointed out why spend more when the scan gauge does the same thing. The P3 guage definitely is sleeker though but for the price I think alot of people would take the scan gauge. Just my opinion anyways

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I run a SCII myself personally. It's nice because it's VERY portable from on car to another. But as said, it doesn't look very slick as you simply plug it in, place it where you want and go. It IS very informative in what it can display though and it's functions. I myself do not find the Gauge screen too busy with 4 readings displayed. One caveat, is that not all cars can output all values. I used to have an '01 S40 that I ran my SCII on. That car outputs the MAP/boost data readings, my '04 S60 on the other hand does not. Thus a separate boost/vacuum gauge is still required for monitoring that, unless the P3cars unit can somehow pull that data.

That all said, if I was in the market for a SCII or P3cars type device and not previously or currently owning one, I'd definitely probably save my $$$ for the MUCH better looking and more OEM looking P3cars unit. I love my SCII, but there wasn't much other options than it at the time I bought mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts