SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know how far this guy got with the project, but a better intake manifold could be an easy [relatively speaking] way to get better flow, which generally equals more power with less boost.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...aftermarket-quot&highlight=aftermarket+intake

I know Elevate has an upper and lower IM upgrade for the P1 cars [kind of jealous] that has "a power gain of +14hp and +13ftlb (18 Nm), while a tuned engine with other ELEVATE components will see gains of over +26hp and +22ftlb (30Nm) of torque increase."

I'm thinking if there's enough interest, someone, whether Elevate, Viva, IPD, EST, or ARD might be interested in doing something like this, even if it's a port polish job where you send yours in as a core and get another back.

This should be an upgrade that helps out both tuned and more "stock" R's out there.

What do you all think? How many orders would one of the companies need to make this feasible and affordable for us?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
As usual I'm IN

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the bump :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You don't even need a company to do this if you just want to clean up the stock unit. You can buy a cylinder head porting kit from summit racing, for about 35 dollars then a die grinder from harbor freight.

I have used the SA brand unit from summit with great success on other intake manifolds, throttle body, small improvements to cylinder head, turbo compressor housing, fmic cast end tanks ect. If we found one spare intake manifold, the first person could port it and install the ported unit then send his stock unit to the next person in line. The next person ports the unit he is sent, installs it then sends his stock unit on to the next person ect.

You could even have a unit extrude honed if you were lazy and have deep pockets.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
will a 2004 manifold work on a 2006 ?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did they change the manifold design on these cars?? I thought all the R's used the same engine/parts save for the CAP and a few sundries here and there

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
That would be great. If they're different, that could really kill this plan :(
Just verified with VIDA and yes the part numbers are the same for all years - 9488034

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh good.

I'm just curious, since Elevate already does a polish job for lower intake manifolds, I wonder if we could talk to them about expanding into R manifolds on a core return policy.

Here's from their website: An individual using a variety of rotating carbide cutters and/or sandpaper rolls to remove material and polish the ports cannot create a consistent, smooth even finish across all five ports. The Abrasive Flow Media (AFM) process uses a putty-like polymer media that is impregnated with fine abrasives. The abrasive laden media is forced through the ports at very high pressure multiple times. By forcing the abrasive putty through the ports, inner wall material is removed at a controlled rate, leaving the surface optimally smooth, polished, and restriction free.

I don't see how this couldn't be easily adapted to do our manifolds, assuming that whomever they outsource this job to in California has the time to do so.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I would take one also depending on the price.

·
Registered
598 Posts
^ Me too!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Thanks Joe

No takers after an hour :)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
No takers after an hour :)
For some I can see it being a problem not having their car operational for a period of time.

For me, I don't know, I'll probably do something like this after my motor blows and its time to go for a built motor.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If a good IM is about $150 on ebay, you could do this without immobilizing the R for relatively inexpensively.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
If a good IM is about $150 on ebay, you could do this without immobilizing the R for relatively inexpensively.
What does "this" mean (extrusion honing, plenum expansion/modification, etc.)?

What does "relatively inexpensively" mean (in terms of a range of dollars) and what are you basing your estimate on?

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^ I think he means that for an extra $150 (kinda inexpensive, I guess) you can get a used one to modify. If in fact you need the R for a DD, that is.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts