SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have suggestions or specs? Saw a post indicating ETS, but what's the model/specs. How much performance increase can be expected, and how easy is it to self-install?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Honestly I would focus on the downpipe and exhaust, the intercooler setup on the new S60 is pretty well designed and properly located; unlike the dual-intercooler system the R's had. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the intercooler, you sure will get some nice MPGs and a few extra HP.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Anyone have suggestions or specs? Saw a post indicating ETS, but what's the model/specs. How much performance increase can be expected, and how easy is it to self-install?
Thanks!
On a T6, I would say none if this is all you change. With modern cars
you have to change multiple systems together and you have to change software
at some point. The throttle pedal is really a sensor that requests torque. If the engine
delivers the requested torque it is "good". That is, it won't add more fuel, boost, etc. than
needed to produce the requested torque. If a change caused the engine to operate more efficiently
it will just deliver less fuel/boost since that is enough to meet the requested torque value.
So you have to change the ECU programming (tune) to take advantage of other changes.

In many cases, the car's systems are over engineered which is why a "Stage 1 ECU" tune is
such a popular/easy way to get more power from a turbocharged engine. After that, you
have to start looking at other parts of the power train ("Stage 2" and up).

Speaking of powertrain "systems", it should also be noted the transmission (AWTF-80 SC) is rated
for 324 lb/ft torque by the manufacturer. So that is a limit that Volvo even exceeded a bit with the
Polestar tune. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC (Asian Warner had the same
specs up on their web site at some point but I no longer see them there -- Wikipedia is all I can find
now that lists the max torque). Although the Polestar tune is within 10% which I assume they feel
comfortable with since they include the full factory warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx
Is there much more that can be tuned if I just add a short ram and borla muffler? Already have the Polestar?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thx
Is there much more that can be tuned if I just add a short ram and borla muffler? Already have the Polestar?
If you pay attention to what the C30/S40 crowd is doing to their engines, a cold air intake really give you no gains. It may sound faster but no dice on the HP increase. Just change your air filter to a K&N type reuseable filter. Most of your gains are going to be from ECU upgrades, downpipe, and exhaust.

Have fun!

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you pay attention to what the C30/S40 crowd is doing to their engines, a cold air intake really give you no gains. It may sound faster but no dice on the HP increase. Just change your air filter to a K&N type reuseable filter. Most of your gains are going to be from ECU upgrades, downpipe, and exhaust.

Have fun!
Aren't there any concerns about K&N filter oil contaminating or otherwise shortening the life of the MAF sensor?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Aren't there any concerns about K&N filter oil contaminating or otherwise shortening the life of the MAF sensor?
I have yet to screw up a MAF with a KN filter; people usually get into trouble with using oil filters when they inproperly re-oil them and use too much oil (it's process and it has to be done carefully with patience).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Bumping this old thread as I'm curious if anyone has found and installed an aftermarket universal intercooler or perhaps found some manufacturer who sells an intercooler for newer T5s, specifically for the 2014 S60 T5. I'm not sure if it is the same style or fitment of previous models back to 2011 but I imagine it would be different.

These seem good as some peeps at C30crew have this brand installed and seems to fit well and be of good construction with good warranty: http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-universal-intercooler-j-line.html

There seems to be no shortage for the T6 which doesn't help me unless they use same intercooler as the T5 but I doubt it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts