SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a '01 s60 T5 and have given a lot of thought on how I might approach a FMIC. Im into DIY stuff and am glad to do this I just have a couple questions for those who have done it. One, what size core can be fitted into our tight front end without too much hassle. http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...-TF-KIT250-EB-BOV009-BLS-2&Category_Code=ICDK what about a kit like that could it be feasible? thanks for any info!

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
You may want to pm Phuz. I know he has a kit put together.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yeah I have run across that kit but wasn't sure how much modification was needed as it is an R kit.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Atc i will do a intercooler setup, you can do it for about 240 bucks or less, just need a intercooler, 2 90 deg reducer from 3" to 2" hose and 2 Joiner pipes in 2" so you can use our stock intercoole hose and the etm-intercooler pipe. Hope to make this setup next weekend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm interesting, you should take some pics and post a thread I'd like to see how that goes. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I will on my thread od k24 build, didnt have time, but is something that i really need to do

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back via PM but yes that's the same size core I am using with great success. I think it helps quite a bit all year round but I can't say enough about the difference during these summer months, triple digit temps don't mean you can't still boost to your heart's content!

Here's a link to my install on VS, should be a thread in here or at least all the details in my build thread, edit - yes on first page of SS build thread, hope this helps:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/135497-njgbs-fmic-install-2002-s60-24t-awd/

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?139559-NJGB-2002-S60-2.4T-AWD-Build-Pic-Thread

PS -IPD came out with a nice ETM pipe kit but it's kinda pricey at $175 or so for just that piping..........I'll wait till my stock piece explodes!

PPS- You don't need that BOV junk in that kit, either buy a cheaper kit or toss that crap in the garbage when you get it.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Yea I was going to toss the BOV, not only is it junk im sure but our cars dont like them from what ive read. I did see some of your build on here but i didnt see specs thats the only reason why I pm'd you haha. One last question though, is the ETM pipe the one that has wires connected to it leading to the throttle body?

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/9009...-throttle-inlet-tube-kit-blue?crumbs=P0,P8466 is this it?

edit: I checked out your link to volvospeed. Nicely done by the way that pretty much tells me everything I need haha. It seems like that pipe is the only part that takes some dealing with. When you sleeve it did you sleeve the entire pipe or just the part that is under the clamps?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
yeah thats the ETM pipe, not a big deal as the OEM piece has a big 2.5ID so it flows well enough but the IPD piece would be a nice finishing touch, I just can't justify the cost yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahh ok cool, thanks again NJGB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
you can use 20x11x3 or 22x11x3 core, if you can get 3" inlet and outlet will be great. There is enough space. If you want to wait a week i will be glad to help you with it cause i guess i will have my intercooler installed by that time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the info. Right now I am just getting together information for when I do decide to do it but im not sure when that'll be.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Depends on how you mount it, I have mine under the bumper support and it's barely covered by the OEM Sport Kit front lip, if you went bigger you would have to jam it behind the support and that would be much tighter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats kind of what I thought, I guess I have to decide how I want to approach the mounting.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Depends on how you mount it, I have mine under the bumper support and it's barely covered by the OEM Sport Kit front lip, if you went bigger you would have to jam it behind the support and that would be much tighter.
Yep, my core is 29x11x3" (core length is actually 22") and I had trouble fitting it between the bumper support and AC condenser. If you go this route you will need to have the AC condenser and radiator as close together as possible, you'll also need to move the radiator rearwards on it's mounting points which will give you an extra 1/4 inch to play with, making it a tight fit but easy enough.

I mounted mine in the same fashion that the Phuzzy kit uses, except I used the included metal tabs and screws to hold it in place at the top of the bumper support. As long as it's supported it will be okay, the piping does a good job of keeping it in place for the most part.

Really it's not that difficult, but there is not a whole lot of consensus on what size core S60's should use. R's use 29x11x3" with 2.5" inlet and outlet. In an S60 you could get away with a 29x7x3" and be just fine, this would also most likely eliminate the need to squeeze the core in between the bumper support and AC condenser.

Note: when I say 29x11x3" these are the TOTAL dimensions of the intercooler core, which includes the overall length of the endtanks as well, the actual core part of the intercooler that does the cooling (the part with fins) is 22x11x3".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, my core is 29x11x3" (core length is actually 22") and I had trouble fitting it between the bumper support and AC condenser. If you go this route you will need to have the AC condenser and radiator as close together as possible, you'll also need to move the radiator rearwards on it's mounting points which will give you an extra 1/4 inch to play with, making it a tight fit but easy enough.

I mounted mine in the same fashion that the Phuzzy kit uses, except I used the included metal tabs and screws to hold it in place at the top of the bumper support. As long as it's supported it will be okay, the piping does a good job of keeping it in place for the most part.

Really it's not that difficult, but there is not a whole lot of consensus on what size core S60's should use. R's use 29x11x3" with 2.5" inlet and outlet. In an S60 you could get away with a 29x7x3" and be just fine, this would also most likely eliminate the need to squeeze the core in between the bumper support and AC condenser.

Note: when I say 29x11x3" these are the TOTAL dimensions of the intercooler core, which includes the overall length of the endtanks as well, the actual core part of the intercooler that does the cooling (the part with fins) is 22x11x3".
From the research I've done this was pretty much what I thought. Trying to move the radiator and ac condenser back makes me worry about difficulty but sounds like it is doable. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
From the research I've done this was pretty much what I thought. Trying to move the radiator and ac condenser back makes me worry about difficulty but sounds like it is doable. Thanks for the help!
Nah it's not difficult, just takes time to figure out exactly what you're doing. Always happy to help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts