SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This has probably been beaten to death already, and if so I apologise, but...

While rotating the tires today (and once again searching for that horrible brake noise), I noticed that the hose exiting the intercooler is very oily, and quite a bit of oil has been deposited under the car from it. I know that its not uncommon for intercoolers to get oil in them, and that on Audis at least these hoses will soften and split as they age. Should I worry about this amount of oil? And where can I get a replacement hose...is it a dealer-only item? I looked on IPD's site but didn't locate it.

I should say the car has ~75k mi on it, and doesn't seem to burn/leak oil. The tailpipe has some pretty dark black soot in it, but I've never seen blue smoke from it on startup or while following in another car.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Starting at 164000 miles, I have had each and every IC hose blow on my 850 T5. I now have 213000 miles with all new hoses. It's a real pain when the hoses go out as they will scare the hell out of you when they POP! Not to mention the loss of power and stalling at idle. Anyhow, I have seen a few aftermarket ones out there but have stuck with OEM Volvo since my hoses went 164k+ miles before keeling over. Also, given the nature of all of the mods to my car, they've held up great to the excess boost. I suggest replacing all at once and then keeping the old ones as spares. You will out more than a $200.00 but it's worth it.

Cheers
Prospero

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
This definately cought my eye from Easternaerospace... read below or check out this link about 1/4 way down the page. It will also show a diagram comparing the old one (OEM) and the new hose setup with with way less power robbing bends. Might be a fine upgrade if you already considering replacement!
http://www.easternaerospace.com/automotive/engine/

Turbo Ductwork Assembly Upgrade Kit

This upgrade replaces the stock turbo ductwork. Looking at the two diagrams above, you can clearly see how many more bends exist in the newer ductwork assemblies of the later model 850's (right), than in the upgrade assembly (left). The upgrade assembly eliminates almost half of the number of bends found in the OEM assembly, thus lessening restrictions and helping to increase airflow within the ductwork in a more efficient manner. Kit includes all necessary hoses and ductwork. Available for all turbocharged 850 & 70 Series (1995-1998).

EATDAUK07........... $279.00
Est. Gain = 20HP

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Actually, that kit is the first revision of the Volvo kit which was on the 850s to start with. People had issues with ice and such so Volvo revised their design to what we have now. If you are in a constantly warm climate with no below-freezing weather, it may not be such a bad upgrade. Just be wary about the HP claims. EA is known to be optimistic about their HP gains.
IMHO, that is...

Prospero

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmmmmm...so it looks like the Eastern kit reverses the airflow through the intercooler? I wonder what that does to intake air temps...

Has anyone installed the Eastern kit?

Also...should I worry about all the oil in the bottom of the intercooler?

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Prospero:
Actually, that kit is the first revision of the Volvo kit which was on the 850s to start with. People had issues with ice and such so Volvo revised their design to what we have now. If you are in a constantly warm climate with no below-freezing weather, it may not be such a bad upgrade. Just be wary about the HP claims. EA is known to be optimistic about their HP gains.
IMHO, that is...

Prospero
Yeah I've heard that too about the HP claims. Considering the '94 850 turbo didn't have 20hp more than in '95 that sounds fishy if it is the same. Although my roomate has a '94 turbo with what should be this configuration. He hasn't owned it for a winter yet but the car has always been winter driven. It gets to about -20C in extreme winter weather here.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Actually, I have the 1994 T5. It does not have the first revision kit. Then again, mine has the 1993 tail lights and the 1995 headlights. It's a mixxed bunch to say the least.

Prospero

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
All '94 850 sedans have the '93-'94 tail lights, only the very early '94 850s have the 1" taller headlights. Sounds like your '94 looks like most of the '94s, my roomates looks just like yours. I'll have to look at his intercooling piping to see if it is the first style or not... I assumed it would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts