SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to V70's and have been trying to find information on part interchangeability for these cars. I own a 2002 N/A V70. I've found a couple threads here and there on parts being compatible for P80 generations but haven't been able to find much for P2's. Can anybody point me to a list/thread detailing all of the parts off of S60's and V70XC's that will fit onto a P2 FWD V70? I apologize if there's a big thread for this already but I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Lets start with things that aren't worth interchanging/or it would be better to just buy the car it came off of:
turbo parts, from plumbing to ECU
AWD parts (requires ECU work)
4C suspension
R headlights (requires ECU programming and they apparently suck anyway)
Also to note: it would be expensive to get more than ~10 more hp out of a NA car, and over 10 hp, the power to expense curve is very steep, to make it not worth while.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lets start with things that aren't worth interchanging/or it would be better to just buy the car it came off of:
turbo parts, from plumbing to ECU
AWD parts (requires ECU work)
4C suspension
R headlights (requires ECU programming and they apparently suck anyway)
Also to note: it would be expensive to get more than ~10 more hp out of a NA car, and over 10 hp, the power to expense curve is very steep, to make it not worth while.
Yeah I figured that. Since it's an NA v70 I'm not going to try to make more power lol I'm more curious about what body/interior parts will fit. Thanks

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
There's a lot you can do here. Many of the interior parts will fit, but there's some compatibility issues you have to work around. For example, apparently you can swap head units…IF it was from the same year. Other stereo components should be easy to add—you just need to make sure to grab harnesses of the donor car, if yours doesn't have it (i.e. amplifier). Steering wheels are easily swapped (3 spoke wheels can be found on S60s, of course Rs, and some S80s and XC90s)…but in 05 they went to a new plug, so if you use an 05+ wheel, you have to swap the switches from an earlier car. It's super easy, but something extra to figure out. Gauge faces can be swapped…but entire clusters are a whole other story. Chrome gauge trim rings are really easy to find and add. Unfortunately, grills can't be swapped from other cars that actually got tasteful grills (Rs, XCs and S60s) without swapping the entire front bumper. Side mirrors from 04+ S60/V70s are plug and play, and make a HUGE aesthetic difference IMHO. Wheels from any P2 are a direct swap…just make sure you have the correct tire size. Regarding anything else, it might be easier to just say what you're looking for, and someone can give you a yay/nay…plus things to be careful/mindful of. Most everything that you can swap is going to involve things that you need to be mindful of when looking to swap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a lot you can do here. Many of the interior parts will fit, but there's some compatibility issues you have to work around. For example, apparently you can swap head units…IF it was from the same year. Other stereo components should be easy to add—you just need to make sure to grab harnesses of the donor car, if yours doesn't have it (i.e. amplifier). Steering wheels are easily swapped (3 spoke wheels can be found on S60s, of course Rs, and some S80s and XC90s)…but in 05 they went to a new plug, so if you use an 05+ wheel, you have to swap the switches from an earlier car. It's super easy, but something extra to figure out. Gauge faces can be swapped…but entire clusters are a whole other story. Chrome gauge trim rings are really easy to find and add. Unfortunately, grills can't be swapped from other cars that actually got tasteful grills (Rs, XCs and S60s) without swapping the entire front bumper. Side mirrors from 04+ S60/V70s are plug and play, and make a HUGE aesthetic difference IMHO. Wheels from any P2 are a direct swap…just make sure you have the correct tire size. Regarding anything else, it might be easier to just say what you're looking for, and someone can give you a yay/nay…plus things to be careful/mindful of. Most everything that you can swap is going to involve things that you need to be mindful of when looking to swap.
Awesome man, thanks. Currently, I'm looking for new seats (driver specifically), a couple tiny knobs (side view mirror adjuster, etc), some plastic trim for the drivers side, possibly a new sliding sunroof cover thing, and possibly a new stereo because for some reason, I can't listen to music through the casette/aux player that I bought. The music plays at a very low level even if it's turned up all the way. But the speakers work great through the radio, just not cassette. I also need a new e-brake boot and probably a few other parts that I can't think of at the moment.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Yeah I figured that. Since it's an NA v70 I'm not going to try to make more power lol I'm more curious about what body/interior parts will fit. Thanks
Body parts are all pretty much all the same (XC doors and fenders are different).
Most interior parts are also interchangeable but not the seats. 01-04 seats will work but 05-07 has a different electrical system so certain parts will not work incl the power seats.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The grills and bumpers aren't interchangeable, because Volvo inexplicably designed whole new bumpers for the V70 and XC70 even though they look the same. I guess they just wanted to waste money

·
Registered
161 Posts
For OE parts or parts that would be considered Upgrades to your current base model?

Off the bat a rear swaybar from and P2 V/XC70 would be an upgrade.
Adding a rear sway-bar from a T5 is an upgrade as well. I took the T5 brake caliper bracket and rotors from my one-time spare car also.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Center consoles are interchangeable too... I think
Yes, they are. I pieced together an R console and an S60 T5M spaceball and put it in my wife's car. I finally gave up trying to find the right S60 console. The best one to find is an 05+ S60 or R console (better cupholder lid)…but you lose the pen holder. No biggie. I've seen several people that put in an XC70 console too. I've got the wood trim in mine (and added a wood wheel), so I'm casually looking for an 05+ S60 console with the woodgrain cupholder lid. But, I'm nervous about finding an 05+ manual shift plate…and it's gonna be tricky to get to where LloydDobbler is so I can steal his woodgrain shift knob. Haha. All this is hilarious to me, considering I used to hate woodgrain…and actually tried for awhile to piece together aluminum trim to replace the wood…

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd definitely like to do this. I can't find a V70 at any junk yard within a 75 mile radius. I'm waiting for one to pop up somewhere

1 - 12 of 12 Posts