SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has done this optional software upgrade - it adds features of the MY19 model to older models going back to 2016 - BLIS with steering, head on mitigation, etc...seems great...

BUT - the dealer in MN wanted $1800 for the upgrade - software only, no hardware! This seems VERY un-Volvo like for a company centered on safety.

Have others had similar experiences?

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-de/XC90(16-)/Accessories/PrintDocument/VCC-514185

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
There’s another thread about it. Find another dealer. Software cost is just for a few packages, add some labor. Highest cost was nowhere near that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wondering if anyone has done this optional software upgrade - it adds features of the MY19 model to older models going back to 2016 - BLIS with steering, head on mitigation, etc...seems great...

BUT - the dealer in MN wanted $1800 for the upgrade - software only, no hardware! This seems VERY un-Volvo like for a company centered on safety.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-de/XC90(16-)/Accessories/PrintDocument/VCC-514185
Your dealer is an idiot - total cost is around $190 including labor and tax in WA. So you might want to change the title of this thread

·
Registered
46 Posts

I recently had mine done, cost of upgrade for both software upgrade was around $30 each, and about $120 for labour to have both installed.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 MI 6 發送

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
It should be one hour labor plus whatever software the car needs. You sure it wasn't $180 and they made a typo?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE - price now $270...as someone above noted they mis-understood that no hardware was needed.
Turns out the nature of the update is tied to the VIN, so price likely to vary...

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
UPDATE - price now $270...as someone above noted they mis-understood that no hardware was needed.
Turns out the nature of the update is tied to the VIN, so price likely to vary...
When you get it done post the software P/Ns here so I can just go do it myself.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Hook it up to vida, buy software, program. Do it all the time.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am facing a similar weird situation with my local Volvo dealer. This is a very small Volvo dealer, part of a group of imported car dealers. I took my car in today with appointment to get Android Auto update and asked them to do Pilot Assist 2 upgrade also along with it. They don't call me till evening and after I call in the evening, they says that the AA needs a kit which they will be ordering and will fix it when it arrives and says that their 30 year experienced Volvo trained technician says that there is nothing like Pilot Assist Gen 2 upgrade available. I showed them the Intellisafe assist upgrade page on Volvo site along with part number and they say that the part needs to be ordered even without looking up that part and I explained that this is a software part number and doesnt need to be ordered and shipped but they stand on their limited knowledge that their technician has told that they connected the car to VIDA and it has download all the software upgrades available and installed but can't tell me what they upgraded as it is 20 pages long. And the funny part is that they said 'maybe Intellisag assist/pilot assist is upgraded with whole car software upgrade, take it for a ride and check yourself'. Seriously? How can I explain them more better? They don't let me talk to the technician. The nearest other big Volvo dealer is 40 miles away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am facing a similar weird situation with my local Volvo dealer. This is a very small Volvo dealer, part of a group of imported car dealers. I took my car in today with appointment to get Android Auto update and asked them to do Pilot Assist 2 upgrade also along with it. They don't call me till evening and after I call in the evening, they says that the AA needs a kit which they will be ordering and will fix it when it arrives and says that their 30 year experienced Volvo trained technician says that there is nothing like Pilot Assist Gen 2 upgrade available. I showed them the Intellisafe assist upgrade page on Volvo site along with part number and they say that the part needs to be ordered even without looking up that part and I explained that this is a software part number and doesnt need to be ordered and shipped but they stand on their limited knowledge that their technician has told that they connected the car to VIDA and it has download all the software upgrades available and installed but can't tell me what they upgraded as it is 20 pages long. And the funny part is that they said 'maybe Intellisag assist/pilot assist is upgraded with whole car software upgrade, take it for a ride and check yourself'. Seriously? How can I explain them more better? They don't let me talk to the technician. The nearest other big Volvo dealer is 40 miles away.
Rather drive 40 miles to a more competent dealer, I did that with mine. Drove 35 miles to a dealer that knew what they were doing

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Part numbers are in the accessory catalog..
Are they calling it pilot assist 3?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Nope. Intellisafe Support Upgrade
Sounds like something that should just come with a Total Can Upgrade

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I did the upgrade on my own, though it took me a while to become comfortable with VIDA. In the end it cost me probably $300+ to get the correct equipment such as an Ethernet to OBD2 connector, an external 12 volt power supply, the VIDA software and a three day subscription. Not for the faint of heart as you could brick your car. It is great that Volvo made the software that is standard on the 2019 available to us. I have had a lot of equipment that was not upgradeable in the past and that is a real bummer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did the upgrade on my own, though it took me a while to become comfortable with VIDA. In the end it cost me probably $300+ to get the correct equipment such as an Ethernet to OBD2 connector, an external 12 volt power supply, the VIDA software and a three day subscription. Not for the faint of heart as you could brick your car. It is great that Volvo made the software that is standard on the 2019 available to us. I have had a lot of equipment that was not upgradeable in the past and that is a real bummer.
In addition to the Vida subscription, did you have to actually purchase (i.e. pay for) the specific software "parts"?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts