SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this thread has been touched on numerous times, but I was thinking of trying to route a hose to a fog light for actual cold air, is it too tacky? Had anyone tried it, I know I won't gain much or any, the thought of it ran through my head.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Its possible but I wouldnt bother with the T5. There's no point since the turbo will heat all the air up anyway
That's why it's one of the better intake mod's on the R right... Look up the "R-Kelly" intake. It works pretty well.
If it were pointless to cool the air the intercooler would be useless as well and we could get a few more psi out of the system. Cold air is good regaurdless. An open filter in the engine bay is the part were its slightly pointless, that's were it's getting warm air in, with a cooler supply of air being basically pushed on the filter it's going to atomize the fuel better and create that much more power.

Heck and just the audible gain is worth every bit of their. Only reason mine has an intake.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
The reason the R Kelly intake duct is so efficient really doesn't have much to do with cold air. The R's have a very good designed air box, but as good as it is, it suffers from not letting in enough air at max boost through the snorkel. JimLill took pressure reading from inside the air box and his readings were showed the "OEM intake duct size is marginal/inadequate for high boost/flow". The R Kelly intake duct is simply another inlet for fresh air at full boost.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?25986

I'm of the opinion that the best mod you can do to decrease the air intake temps on a turbo car is to get an efficient intercooler.
And an intakes usefulness IMHO is more on the side of allowing more air into the system because of less restriction.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
The reason the R Kelly intake duct is so efficient really doesn't have much to do with cold air. The R's have a very good designed air box, but as good as it is, it suffers from not letting in enough air at max boost through the snorkel. JimLill took pressure reading from inside the air box and his readings were showed the "OEM intake duct size is marginal/inadequate for high boost/flow". The R Kelly intake duct is simply another inlet for fresh air at full boost.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?25986

I'm of the opinion that the best mod you can do to decrease the air intake temps on a turbo car is to get an efficient intercooler.
And an intakes usefulness IMHO is more on the side of allowing more air into the system because of less restriction.
I fully concur. :)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Haha, +1 I do the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.