SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was under the car yesteday just sort of checking things out while doing the first DIY oil change when I noticed a very strange-looking molded plastic elbow in the intake piping just down stream of the compressor. It had a number of odd growths and protuberances, yet was not connected to anything with hoses or wires. A little bit of research confirmed my suspicion that it is a resonator. In fact, it looks like there may be more than one in the intake system.

Resonators are generally used to reduce reduce certain frequencies of noise. This one is there to reduce either turbo whistle or the second-order noise associated with engine RPM. Probably the latter.

I find this interesting because my GTI and a friend's Mustang both feature "noise pipes", which channel intake noise directly from the intake manifold to the passenger compartment to provide a sportier and more aggressive sound. Audi S4s and BMWs actually use special speakers or the audio system to embellish engine sounds. Vroom vroom!

As my British friend says -- "horses for courses", which I think is the limey equivalent of "different strokes for diferent folks".

White Line Material property Beige

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have the Snabb cone filter airbox intake section on my S60 T6. I’ll be curious about getting a better look at this when I eventually get around to doing the other half of the intake which replaces the remaining piping with much cleaner looking, conventional sections of piping designed for better airflow and not designed to muffle or otherwise alter induction noise.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Can’t see the attached pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts

It is the one on the right? I know a guy who makes replacement pipes for it. Says a way better sound after the replacement of it. I’ll be ordering mine soon from him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one I saw under my car does not look like that, although images of the one you show will pop up when you google "Volvo intake resonator".

Lots of TIG welding hours on that replacement part!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the Snabb turbo intake pipe which deletes the intake resonator on my 2012 T6, among other things, and replaces it with metal and silicon pipes. Personally I did not notice any increase in cabin noise - if there was any it was minimal. I kept the stock intake on however, so YMMV depending on your mods cocktail.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I had the Snabb turbo intake pipe which deletes the intake resonator on my 2012 T6, among other things, and replaces it with metal and silicon pipes. Personally I did not notice any increase in cabin noise - if there was any it was minimal. I kept the stock intake on however, so YMMV depending on your mods cocktail.
How do you like the intake pipe? Any SOTP change in response or pull? Do you hear any additional forced induction noises like purges or hisses or any whine, even if it doesn’t make the car appreciably louder over all? Automakers with “refined” turbocharged applications (namely ones targeting rather vanilla non-enthusiast demographics) usually try to mask the fact that the car is boosted, trying instead to mimic the experience of smooth, quiet, linear power of large displacement NA 6s or V8s through tuning choices that minimize that classic boosted nonlinear surge of power and muffle any traces of “psssh!” or turbine sounds that might terrify Karen and Chad on the way to Whole Foods. Cars like a GTI might instead want to emphasize or pretend to make racy noises when in fact the stock 2.0T has a rather lackluster and crappy note without further manipulation to make it sound better than it does otherwise in stock form. Those particular motors need more boost and some breather mods to sound like a proper performance car...or a soundpipe to fake it, lol. On the other hand, the A3 platform mates want to suppress those same sounds to appeal to people shopping more upscale cars who expect a minimum of NVH.

I can tell you the Snabb intake alone brings a lot of those turbo sound effects into the cabin even with the rest of the factory intake piping still in place, so the factory airbox obviously plays a big role in muffling those antisocial noises. I’ll be interested to see how much of a difference in induction noise (overall volume and topographies of isolated turbo sounds) the rest of the Snabb intake piping will make on top of the Snabb intake when I finally get around to installing the other half of the full intake system.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How do you like the intake pipe? Any SOTP change in response or pull? Do you hear any additional forced induction noises like purges or hisses or any whine, even if it doesn’t make the car appreciably louder over all? Automakers with “refined” turbocharged applications (namely ones targeting rather vanilla non-enthusiast demographics) usually try to mask the fact that the car is boosted, trying instead to mimic the experience of smooth, quiet, linear power of large displacement NA 6s or V8s through tuning choices that minimize that classic boosted nonlinear surge of power and muffle any traces of “psssh!” or turbine sounds that might terrify Karen and Chad on the way to Whole Foods. Cars like a GTI might instead want to emphasize or pretend to make racy noises when in fact the stock 2.0T has a rather lackluster and crappy note without further manipulation to make it sound better than it does otherwise in stock form. Those particular motors need more boost and some breather mods to sound like a proper performance car...or a soundpipe to fake it, lol. On the other hand, the A3 platform mates want to suppress those same sounds to appeal to people shopping more upscale cars who expect a minimum of NVH.

I can tell you the Snabb intake alone brings a lot of those turbo sound effects into the cabin even with the rest of the factory intake piping still in place, so the factory airbox obviously plays a big role in muffling those antisocial noises. I’ll be interested to see how much of a difference in induction noise (overall volume and topographies of isolated turbo sounds) the rest of the Snabb intake piping will make on top of the Snabb intake when I finally get around to installing the other half of the full intake system.
Unfortunately I got totaled by a guy who ran a red light, so I only got to enjoy the mod very briefly for a few months. I've heard the Snabb and Elevate intakes and those I agree really liven up the turbo sounds and provide more usable torque and power in the mid-range.

Turbo intake pipe alone, I would say there wasn't much difference in noise outside (for that the ram intake would be better as you've noticed), but the butt dyno felt slightly better spool time and pull. I felt a bigger difference with the air intake, so combining the two should liven it up more.

FWIW, the 2012 508HP Polestar S60 concept can be seen using a pipe that was fashioned similarly to the Snabb turbo intake pipe, so I figure that the Swedish engineers contemplated making a less-restrictive piping from the get-go but probably decided that the cost:benefit ratio just wasn't there. Looked awesome under the hood though. I'll miss that car.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just dont install one of those stupid blowoff valves like the Subaru guys do

BrrrrrrrrrPSHSSSSt BrrrrrrrrPSHSsssssst BRrrrrr....

·
Registered
188 Posts

On an automatic wouldn't a BOV be kind of pointless anyway since the AT holds boost in between shifts instead of dumping boost?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Many of us (I was a Subaru guy) were actually running CAIs which make the same noise as a BOV when the purge is fed back into the intake (due to the metal piping and open cone filter). I don't know of many people running pure BOVs (atmospheric purge) due to the lean conditions caused by it.

I am actually impressed at how much you can hear the purge in our cars. My WRX muffled all of it out until I bought the AEM CAI.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

Many of us (I was a Subaru guy) were actually running CAIs which make the same noise as a BOV when the purge is fed back into the intake (due to the metal piping and open cone filter). I don't know of many people running pure BOVs (atmospheric purge) due to the lean conditions caused by it.

I am actually impressed at how much you can hear the purge in our cars. My WRX muffled all of it out until I bought the AEM CAI.
My S60 didn’t give much purge sound but it was certainly more evident once I got the TDI Tuning box. More boost equals more boost to purge equals more sound. The purge was still pretty quiet with the stock airbox, but it was much more audible than it had been with just the P* tune. Adding the Snabb cone filter intake made purges much more audible, but the stock diverter valve doesn’t sound all that crisp, at least compared with a BOV or even a piston style DV. But to answer Dyno’s question, while you might not hear a purge with an automatic on the upshift, you still get a satisfying purge every time you lift off the throttle, or even when you do fast blips on/off the throttle for your own amusement. Not really my cup of tea but whatever floats your goat, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts