SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering making a batch of my home made intakes. Gauging interest here on the forums before I start printing.

This is a custom intake elbow, I will not be selling it with a mount or a filter - that would be up to you to procure. I run an AEM dryflow filter. Its mounted to the A/C compressor bracket bolt off of the transmission VIA a tab on the underside of the elbow.

The elbow is 3D printed from Nylon. The photo shown is on my V60RD, I have over 15,000 miles on it so far - both hot and cold testing. The tube has seen 115F ambient days in stop and go traffic as well as -30F cold starts.

The purpose of creating this was to come up with a cheap alternative to the wildly expensive options on the market. It will not require any modifications to the vehicle, it will not set any fault codes and will add a nice amount of intake noise to any 2011-2016 S60/V60/XC60 with a T6.

Price is still up in the air, really depends on the interest, likely under $100.

Shown in yellow below is a print I created recently as a test on my new printer. The parts I send out will not be yellow...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another pic

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dude.. that's dope! I'd be interested I'm sure!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Only for the T6 engines?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update. I've been experimenting with different materials and have finally found something that I think will work for the higher under hood temps. It's a high temp PLA which requires heat treatment prior to use.

It's tricky since it does shrink a bit during treatment and has warped a bit due to the softening during the process. I'm going to put this one on my car and test it for a little while.

Just thought I would share my progress on this.

·
3,899 Posts
Lookin good! Love this stuff!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just a quick update. I've been experimenting with different materials and have finally found something that I think will work for the higher under hood temps. It's a high temp PLA which requires heat treatment prior to use.

It's tricky since it does shrink a bit during treatment and has warped a bit due to the softening during the process. I'm going to put this one on my car and test it for a little while.

I'm ready! Let me know how the testing goes!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Very Interesting ~

Are You using any Percentage of Re-Grind or is this a Pre Packaged Material just for Printers as it looks like it's Off a Mill . . or are those Lines form the Printer ?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are You using any Percentage of Re-Grind or is this a Pre Packaged Material just for Printers as it looks like it's Off a Mill . . or are those Lines form the Printer ?
It's from a spool of filament. The printer works horizontally and moves up as it deposits more material, basically stacking it. This was a bit of a rough resolution to test the material.

I have another going as I'm typing this at a much finer resolution which should yield a better looking / stronger part.

The biggest drawback to printing with a smaller layer height is the time. The print shown in the photo above took around 8 hours. I modified the layer height to approximately half of what that one was and the time is now 20 hours... When it's finished I'll post a photo.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Nice stuff - I see some Enterprising Computer Code Software Companies now have _ "GPU Aided soft pack" that is suppose to Chops Hours off of Development and Up Loading
which Speeds up Part Printers 100% , but the Article didn't make it clear If , it will be sold to Individuals . .

Very Nice stuff , Man should also do the Box or at Least a "Hump Lid" to Fit Original Heat control Air Box , Kits like that selling for $400~$500.00 :thumbup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice stuff - I see some Enterprising Computer Code Software Companies now have _ "GPU Aided soft pack" that is suppose to Chops Hours off of Development and Up Loading
which Speeds up Part Printers 100% , but the Article didn't make it clear If , it will be sold to Individuals . .

Very Nice stuff , Man should also do the Box or at Least a "Hump Lid" to Fit Original Heat control Air Box , Kits like that selling for $400~$500.00
I'm not sure what component you're referring to with "hump lid". Do you have a link I could look at? Always interested in new projects.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure what component you're referring to with "hump lid". Do you have a link I could look at? Always interested in new projects.

I understand what you're suggesting now.

Part of the reason most aftermarket solutions are so expensive is because they offer a whole package - heat shield and all.

My intention was to provide a part which could be used to build one's own kit. I don't run a heat shield on mine simply because I only care about increasing the intake noise. I personally think an aftermarket intake on an otherwise stock output car is pointless other than for sound purposes. Others may find they want to try and reduce intake temps with a heat shield. That's cool.

From my experience - when driving, intake air temps are very close to ambient. Even on track pushing the car hard my intake temps didn't get far above ambient. When you come to a stop, obviously you're going to get heat soak.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The latest

·
Registered
862 Posts
Looks good. You think this can be used on the V8?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
QUOTE=emgrock1;7453301]The latest

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Looks awesome!! I’m definitely interested in one of these!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Over the weekend I was playing around with some different mounting methods and decided to try this... Simple yet effective. Filter slips into the lower airbox like it was designed for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts