SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Intake air "vibration" is driving me nuts!!

Hi everyone,

I own a 2015 V60 T6 R design and I am having a noise problem that is driving me crazy.

When accelerating, under low to mid throttle, at around 2k - 2.5k rpm, there is a vibration sound that seems to come from the intake. I first thought it was a loose panel or shield vibrating and resonating, but after further investigation, the noise is coming from moving air in the intake, but I can't locate what is causing it.

I removed the air filter and let the air box top sit higher than the air box base (so air could freely get in the airbox that was split open). Driving the car with the air box open that way, the sound is much louder and noticeable.

I did take the car to the dealer, but they could not locate the source of the noise, though I am not sure it was properly investigated. The tech noticed a sound coming from the tensioner, which he later said was normal.

Any help or leads appreciated!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so I've been researching on this issue lately and it appears it could be a rattling wastegate actuator... I'll place a microphone at different locations and record some samples to confirm where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the replies (could't help it! I know its not a common issue.. ;) ).

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the 3.0 T6 r design turbo? From vida would be awesome. Still investigating...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thanks for posting! I've not experienced this but good to know your findings if I ever do.

Just curious - are you using the recommended 91-93 octane fuel?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting! I've not experienced this but good to know your findings if I ever do.

Just curious - are you using the recommended 91-93 octane fuel?
Yes, using premium fuel. Definitely not ping. I hooked up a microphone and will be taking some samples tonight. The more I research on this issue, the more I think the sound is coming from the wastegate actuator rod.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so after further investigation, it turns out it is a case of wastegate rattle. I suspect my wastegate actuator rod is not adjusted properly and the exhaust gas is pushing the gastegate door open in what is called cylinder pulsation, which creates this vibration sound.

Dealer checked the turbo wastegate and did not find anything loose. The next step is to verify the rod is properly adjusted, which I understand it done by putting set pressure in actuator and adjust preload. Dealer could not perform this on hot engine so I'll have to leave the car overnight.

This doesn't seem like a common problem on recent Volvos, so I am having a hard time getting support from my dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts