SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all my car insurance with Safeco through an agent. Recently I gave the agent a call to quote for my new XC90. Unfortunately she couldn’t find the new model in the system, so she quoted it for XC70 with my VIN. It comes out at $750/Yr for full coverage. My concern is if the quote is for XC70, in case I have an accident with the car, will Safeco decline my request simply because the policy shows it is a XC70? The agent said it is fine, as long as the VIN matches. But I still hesitate to move ahead. Does anyone have the similar situation?

So far which insurance companies have the best rate for the new XC90? I know it may depend on personal driving history, but I really appreciated if you can share some valuable information.

Does anyone knows when the insurance should start? Someone told me 2 weeks after delivery at the local dealership. Is that true?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll refrain from answering policy specific questions as I suspect state laws may differ on the topic. Regarding pricing, I use Liberty Mutual. I was shocked to find that my rates were just a few dollars more a month for the XC90 compared to my former 2006 Honda Pilot. The LM agent just said there were many discounts on it due to all of the safety features. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if it was lower than the XC70 - so I'd check back with your agent regularly for updates.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll refrain from answering policy specific questions as I suspect state laws may differ on the topic. Regarding pricing, I use Liberty Mutual. I was shocked to find that my rates were just a few dollars more a month for the XC90 compared to my former 2006 Honda Pilot. The LM agent just said there were many discounts on it due to all of the safety features. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if it was lower than the XC70 - so I'd check back with your agent regularly for updates.
Thanks for your response! My agent told me the same thing that the insurance for the new cars can be lower than the old ones if they have the same coverage.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Thanks for your response! My agent told me the same thing that the insurance for the new cars can be lower than the old ones if they have the same coverage.
Nice.......love it!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not an insurance expert, but if a claim come in for accident repair, will the same part on the XC70 cost the same to replace for the XC90?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not an insurance expert, but if a claim come in for accident repair, will the same part on the XC70 cost the same to replace for the XC90?
That is my concern. Insurance company may even decline the claim. I believe other XC90 owners might also have the same situation that insurance company doesn't have this model in the file. What did they do?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
?! If you give the VIN to your insurance company / insurance agent and they can't tie it correctly to the correct manufacturer make and model ... you may want to consider shopping around for insurance. While the issue may likely revolve around the company not having the 2016 XC90 in their system - one would think that given the fact that these vehicles are being delivered (and have been in the US for some months) they'd have it in their system. Plus: as others have noted, getting a quote for a different model may not get you all the security and safety discounts that you'd be entitled to with the 2016 XC90.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Max I ask you guys how much you roughly pay anyways? I know it very much depends on driving history, state probably as well as other factors. But I'd love to get a rough idea how expensive it not my insurance actually is. I pay USD 330,-/quarter for a T6 in TX under our company group insurance. As I am German who just moved to the US this was the easiest and quickest way to get insurance I might reconsider after a year+ once I get driving history and more settled.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
That is my concern. Insurance company may even decline the claim. I believe other XC90 owners might also have the same situation that insurance company doesn't have this model in the file. What did they do?
The T6 VIN's have been out for a long time. I pulled a VIN from a comparably equipped XC90 T6 from a dealer's purported inventory (or customers' cars coming in). The insurance company acknowledged that it was new and it took about 5 business days to get the quote. As I reported on an earlier thread, my insurance dropped by 21% coming from a 2007 Toyota 4Runner to a 2016 XC90 T6. As for T8's, VINs for US are not yet available. Once they are, I will follow the same process.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The T6 VIN's have been out for a long time. I pulled a VIN from a comparably equipped XC90 T6 from a dealer's purported inventory (or customers' cars coming in). The insurance company acknowledged that it was new and it took about 5 business days to get the quote. As I reported on an earlier thread, my insurance dropped by 21% coming from a 2007 Toyota 4Runner to a 2016 XC90 T6. As for T8's, VINs for US are not yet available. Once they are, I will follow the same process.
Is the VIN globally recognizable? Since my car is from OSD and has not reached the US soil yet, does it mean it won't be identified in insurance company's system for a while? Should I ask my local dealer to get VIN from their demo unit, so I can quote with it? But even my VIN can not be identified, Safeco's system should have this model already, given FE has been in the market for a while. Probably I need to contact Safeco directly to add this model in their system, instead of contacting an agent.

·
Registered
157 Posts
USAA $820 a year which is less than my 2009 RX350. Rates will also vary with collision and comprehensive deductibles.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Is the VIN globally recognizable? Since my car is from OSD and has not reached the US soil yet, does it mean it won't be identified in insurance company's system for a while? Should I ask my local dealer to get VIN from their demo unit, so I can quote with it?
I understand that VIN's follow certain standards including its intended market. You or your dealer should have access to your VIN even if it is OSD. I could be wrong ... Your dealer should be able to obtain it. You may need to be assertive with the insurance company.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My rate went up with Progressiveup over my 2013 BMW X5 xdrive50. I was pretty surprised. They could see what kind of car it was by the vin but couldn't match it up to what was in their system. I thought for sure my rate would go down. Wrong!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My rate went up with Progressiveup over my 2013 BMW X5 xdrive50. I was pretty surprised. They could see what kind of car it was by the vin but couldn't match it up to what was in their system. I thought for sure my rate would go down. Wrong!!!

I just switched cars on my insurance this morning from my old 2011 xc60 to my new XC90. The premiums went down about $20 a month with the same coverage. I use Liberty Mutual. It seems like Liberty Mutual factors in a lot of the available active safety features as they had several questions regarding the capabilities of the car and its accident avoidance technologies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have State Farm. The 2016 XC90 was in their system. We pay $441 every 6 months. So $880/yr. Obviously, this varies greatly on what deductibles you select and what other things are insured with your insurance company (i.e. other cars, auto, etc...we have everything through SF). Here is our breakdown on the Volvo:

Liability - Bodily Injury / Property Damage

$250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident
$100,000 each accident

Premium
$98.74

Coverage Details

Uninsured Motor Vehicle

Premium
$6.20

Coverage Details
Underinsured Motor Vehicle

Premium
$16.19

Coverage Details

Comprehensive Deductible
$0

Premium
$94.97

Coverage Details

Collision Deductible
$250

Premium
$169.46

Coverage Details

Emergency Road Service

No Coverage

Premium

$0.00

Coverage Details

Car Rental and Travel Expenses

No Coverage

Premium

$0.00

Coverage Details

Auto Theft Prevention Surcharge

Yes

Premium

$0.50

Total Premium
(total premium includes your discounts)

$441.55

·
Registered
72 Posts
USAA is going to charge me $820 every 6-months for 2016 XC-90 R-Design based on recently obtained VIN. Auto insurance rates here in Michigan, a "no-fault" state, run high. USAA rep said there's a good chance premiums on this vehicle may drop as vehical history develops. Hrumph...we'll see.
Rate is based on $500 deductible, excellent driving record, 18,000 mi/yr., 3rd car in family with 3 drivers.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
You might ask your insurance company and agent to re-rate it in light of all of the safety features. In MN, which is also no-fault, I received a quote from Farmers for a T6 Inscription of $283 every six months with a $500 deductible and similar coverages as Bronco above. I drive about 10K average per year, I have two cars / two drivers, plus our home is also insured through the same company. We live in a rural area about 60 miles from the metro. My 2007 4Runner was $350 every six months.

There are a lot of factors that go into underwriting, but $1640 v. $566 might justify re-pricing and/or shopping for a different insurance company. We shall see what happens with the T8.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Four of the biggest factors in determining vehicle insurance rates are -

gender - male vs female, ladies are charged less due to fact they are less aggressive driver and involved in fewer accidents

age category - under 21, and over [approx] 65 get higher rates

Driving history - Citations and points

location - City dwellers will pay higher rates than rural people, due to increased crime rates

Couple things that can help reduce your rates; Take an accredited driver safety course. Most companies will usually give around
a 10% discount. Also can help to mention if you are a member of any clubs or organizations. For example -

Alumni, Colleges and Universities
Business and Professional Organizations
Educational or Military Organizations
Credit Unions
Auto Clubs

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
When I bought my wife's 2015.5 Platinum XC60, I was asked by my USAA insurance agent if it it had air bags. I almost said, "Really?, It's a Volvo, are you serious?" But since, the insurance costs on my old 2006 XC90 is about the same as my much more expensive 2015.5 Platinum XC60, I guess the USAA computers adjusted my insurance cost because of the safety features on the XC60.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts