SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time has come again to change rear brake pads and rotors on my 2008 S80. Equipped from factory with non vented, car has electronic park brake. Last time I changed them myself went with factory setup.
This time around I would be curious to tru vented discs. Looking at specs, they are twice as thick compared with vented (11 mm non vented, 22 mm vented).

Does anybody know if a given caliper can accomodate both vented and nonvented discs, with the difference in thickness being taken off by mow much the piston travels out of the caliper?

Or is it only one type that can be fitted for a particular car/caliper?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I know that the front brakes are way more effective in stopping power, but I was just curious to see for myself if there is even the slightest increase in performance, seeing that manufacturers go to the pain of actually installing them in their cars. Plus trying something new for myself. I do have a feeling that if I did install the vented, I'd get to your conclusion, albeit the hard way.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Good question. My dad and I both have 07 V8's. I have vented equipped on mine and he doesn't. All the trim packages are the same. I wonder if someone went for the cheaper rotors (solid) when replacing them.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Have the brakes on your car ever overheated? Have you ever felt the pedal go down to the floor ecause they overheated? The same company that makes textar pads makes pagid. a company rep told me that BMW uses textar pads on the non M cars and pagid on the M cars.

my S80 has a lot of highway miles. The fronts are original and the rear pads were replaced. no lip on any rotor. I wouldn't change the brake setup. I would invest in better tires to shorten the stopping distance.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It`s not always stopping distance, it`s how the brakes feel when in use, some pad rotor pairings require a fair amount of heat before they work best and require more pedal pressure, others don`t, and would be a better choice in urban stop and go settings where you don`t get a lot of heat into the brakes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Not sure if you're still considering doing this but ill give my experience. The vented rotors will not fit with your caliper bracket. You'll need new brackets at the least but I'm guessing you can transfer the motor over. I had a customer come in because her rear brake pad fell out in her driveway. She had her brakes done at an independent shop and they installed solid rotors on a car that should have ventilated rotors. Once the pads wore down a bit, they slipped down in between the rotor and the bracket. It can be done but you'll need more than just rotors

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a owner of 3 P3 volvos I can tell there is difference if solid rotor system is converted into ventilated rotor system, which has better braking feeling and more balanced, below is my observation:
1) Ventilated rotor calipers has bigger piston diameter (41 vs 38mm)
2) Ventilated calipers thus has different part number, and different bracket than solid rotor systems(and even the brake hose)
3) The conversion is my first thing to do when my dad bought his V70 3.2 because we feel the braking power of solid rotor is inadequate for city use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts