SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i bought a Kenwood DDX419 and i was really psyched to install it. then I recalled that my car came with a factory amp (at least i believe) and i was worried that may have to bypass it since I will be putting this radio in. is this true? and does anyone happen to know the correct wiring colors for the plug, i was thinking of buying the metra 70-9220 plug and hoping that would make everyhting easier, but I'd rather save my money. any insight at all would be appreciated.

car details:
2001 c70 HPT coupe, i do NOT have the radio with the 3 disc changer.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Take a deep breath and step away from the cutting tools!
This does not need to be installed today. It'll wait - Honest.

Buy the plug - Seriously. It's like 5 or so bucks on eBay.
Even if you pay 20 for it at a local shop, it's still a huge
advantage and IMHO, a must have for any installation.
PLEASE - Don't Chop the Car!

When you slide out the stock HU,
look for a 6 pin round DIN plug in
the HU socket marked "AMP".
If it's there, you have the amp.

The amp thing is an easy,
plug and play work around.
Read more here:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30204

If you haven't got the amp, a harness kit will get
your new stereo connected simply and painlessly.
It will also leave you open to the future move of
putting the stock radio back in if you decide to sell.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Do get the metra adapter, it will allow you to do all your splicing on a workbench and allow zero cutting to the car's wiring harness, always a good idea.

If you have an amp, which I think all C70s did, you also want this cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Stere...t=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eadd59d38 This will allow you to use the factory amp with your new head unit. It makes everything plug and play, your install should take under half an hour if you do this wiring beforehand. If you have the 4x100 amp, which is likely, it's a very nice alpine unit that will pound pretty nicely with an aftermarket stereo dialed in.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do get the metra adapter, it will allow you to do all your splicing on a workbench and allow zero cutting to the car's wiring harness, always a good idea.

If you have an amp, which I think all C70s did, you also want this cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Stere...t=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eadd59d38 This will allow you to use the factory amp with your new head unit. It makes everything plug and play, your install should take under half an hour if you do this wiring beforehand. If you have the 4x100 amp, which is likely, it's a very nice alpine unit that will pound pretty nicely with an aftermarket stereo dialed in.
I just completed this installation on my wife's car and everything worked very well. I can't recommend the wiring harnesses enough. Even if you have to wait a week, it is well worth it.

However, I do have a couple of small problems. There is a fairly loud thump whenever I turn the radio on, there is a slight pop any time the brakes are applied and there is a faint whine (sounds like alternator whine) audible in the soft passages of music. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix these issues? I'm thinking I need a better ground point for the head unit, but I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Definitely start by grounding the head unit chassis. They usually have a stud or a threaded hole on the back specifically for grounding. Second thing might be to tie the ground of the 6 pin harness to the head unit chassis, and third is to dig into the trunk and ground the amp chassis better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Well, splicing is the wrong word when you use the adapter harnesses. It means you don't cut any wires in the car, but connect those harnesses to your stereo so it just plugs in, and you can do that on a workbench. Without them you're splicing into wires in the dash.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Let's not confuse anyone. Splicing just means connecting two things together.
If splicing refers to the process of connecting the leads of the HU's harness to
the Metra connector adapter harness, then it's precisely the correct word to use.
( Even easier when you use a Metra adapter and all the colors match! )

To the OP - If you've got an OEM amp and want to use it, you really only need
one of the two connectors in the 70-9220 harness adapter kit. One handles power
and a couple of speakers, the other handles all the other speakers. With an existing
factory amp, your speakers are already connected and you just need the connector
that provides power to your new HU. You can save a few bucks and buy just the
power connector along with DIN to RCA adapter as a set here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AFTERMARKET...shboard_Installation_Kits&hash=item4cf507a9cd

·
Registered
353 Posts
To the OP - If you've got an OEM amp and want to use it, you really only need
one of the two connectors in the 70-9220 harness adapter kit. One handles power
and a couple of speakers, the other handles all the other speakers. With an existing
factory amp, your speakers are already connected and you just need the connector
that provides power to your new HU. You can save a few bucks and buy just the
power connector along with DIN to RCA adapter as a set here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AFTERMARKET...shboard_Installation_Kits&hash=item4cf507a9cd
I bought that one. The power harness (green plug) is wrong for the C70. The green plug is for P2 chassis cars. However, the amp cable is correct. For the power harness, I used this cable, as recommended by LloydDobler:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UvTRJiu1eRf/p_120709220/Volvo-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

Since I have an amp, I simply cut off the jumper portion.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I should have given that connector a closer look.
I just read the text and assumed that the seller meant
that both connectors were compatible with the HU's listed.

Looks like you will have to remove the jumper wires from
the 70-9220 and end up with a leftover speaker connector.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Not like it's expensive. But yeah. The connector is even hinged so you can pop it open and remove the wires, you don't have to cut them. Just make sure you take a photo beforehand in case any of the wires you DO need accidentally fall out. Also so you can put it back together if the stereo goes into a non-amped Volvo at some point in the future.

·
Registered
353 Posts
However, I do have a couple of small problems. There is a fairly loud thump whenever I turn the radio on, there is a slight pop any time the brakes are applied and there is a faint whine (sounds like alternator whine) audible in the soft passages of music. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix these issues? I'm thinking I need a better ground point for the head unit, but I'm open to suggestions.
Just wanted to close the loop on this. I tried rewiring the adapter every way that was described on the internet and the problem remained. I tried adding a new ground cable for the head unit and the problem remained. Finally, I ditched the one I bought on eBay (and removed the new ground cable I had added) and ordered a new adapter:

ARH-VOL Factory Amplifier Retention Harness for Volvo

The only wire that has to be connected is the amplifier turn-on signal. With that, no thump, no pop and no whine. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Sounds like there was an issue with the eBay connector.
Sorry to hear that it became such a headache, but very
pleased to hear you got it worked out. I have to say, the
one you picked up appeals to me more than the eBay part.

Rock On!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I often leave my 2004 C70 convertible top down and I am concerned about theft w/ an aftermarket unit so for now I am going to just add the
GROM USB Android interface adapter
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/andr...android_adapter_direct_digital_interface.html

and use a USB key to play back more music. I had neighbors that bought a new Porsche convertible (we park in a parking deck in a high rise) and their top was cut into within a month of buying it.
I figure its cheaper for me leave my top down and let whomever wants to break in break in than to have my top cut open, I leave nothing of value in my C70 convertible over night.

The high end response is lacking from my OEM system but I will try using the instructions available online to access the SC901 hidden EQ menu to to try to gain some of the high end back.
Years ago I also had someone knowledgeable in the Volvo community custom make me an adapter harness to add additional RCA outs to an SC901 when I had a 1998 C70 coupe so I could
add another amplifier and additional speakers to factory system - I still have it but have never used it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts