SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My ignition lock cylinder decided to stop working so I need to install a new one (Vin matched to my old keys). I believe I should be able to figure out how to get the old one out but instructions (and pictures) to do that would be helpful

My main question is, do I have to disconnect the battery or do anything before dis-assembling the steering column covers and unplugging the old ignition or any other plugs in my way? Just don't want to get an airbag light or something because I didn't research it first..

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm doing this tomorrow around 12:30PM EST so I'd like to know before then to be safe.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
782 Posts
Peeps on this forum get assed up when noobs don't do their research, thus the lack of responses to your query.
So, in the interest of "teaching you how to fish so you can eat" as opposed to "giving you a fish to eat", here is how you research.
It will take you moments, you'll be a better SS member for it, and I'll be your new hero.
Report back when you are successful (or if you need help :thumbup:)
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?153024-How-to-Search-Swedespeed-using-Google

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I tried searching that and these are all threads I've read in the past.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...72.7208.0.7333.44.44.0.43.0.0.126.126.0j1.1.0.

My reason for posting was because I posted in the past about removing the radio and the instructions from the first person did not mention disconnecting the battery, resulting in a light in the dash and having to bring it to the dealer :/

Just wanted to be sure of my question in bold to avoid costing myself more money than having a dealer replace it in the first place haha. Thanks for the help, but I do try to search a lot before posting. I like to read rather than type, and it's much faster than waiting for a response. I just wanted to be sure that for a SPECIFIC S60R 2004 I will not have any electrical issues when replacing the ignition lock cylinder. Again I'm not trying to sound cocky about already searching!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I say when in doubt, disconnect the battery if for no other reason, to avoid shorts. That could be very bad, especially with all of the electronics running through these cars! What are you driving exactly (it helps to have that info and your general location in your signature line BTW)?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completed this today and figured I'd add some instructions to help the next R owner out who experiences this crappy failure..

First of all, tascaparts.com is the best price on the part $230. Call them and they will ask for your VIN. I called and received it exactly a week later. You can't get it to match your old keys if you don't call!

1) A. Remove 3 torx bits from bottom of steering wheel column plastic cover
B. DISCONNECT BATTERY :)

2) Pull out the rubbers around the control stalks and then pinch and lift up top part of column cover

3) Spread outwards a little and pull bottom part of column cover out towards driver seat

4) Unplug plugs on both sides of the Ignition Lock Cylinder

5) On the key hole side use a flat head to pull tab up and slide out plastic off of key opening side

6) Remove the dash piece above cluster (black with blue stitching on it) There are two torx screws easy to see and two towards the back behind the cluster

7) Any drill will work here but a corded drill would be best. Drill a pilot hole about 1/4in deep into both of the break off bolts peaks that were left there. A center punch would help in this case.

8) Then grab a drill bit that's slightly thicker than the replacement units bolts threads.

9) Drill until you see the two pieces separate! (It's not that bad if you make your holes straight and center)

10) Once it's out in your hand, remove both plastic things on the old cylinder and attach them to the new one.

11) Installation is the same but in reverse

12) Enjoy your new ignition! It should be smooth as butter :)

Be sure to use wd40 or something every 20 seconds or so while drilling!

If you have any trouble send me a PM

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice job! So you are saying the new cylinder matches your old key, right? No key replacement?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
My reason for posting was because I posted in the past about removing the radio and the instructions from the first person did not mention disconnecting the battery, resulting in a light in the dash and having to bring it to the dealer :/
I'm glad you got the cylinder install working and thanks for posting the instructions. I wanted to chime in and say I've installed and removed my stereo 20 or more times (was chasing a short) without incident. The issue is when you disconnect the climate control panel you get the error and the dealer visit. You can monkey around with the stereo without disconnecting the CCM, my CCM wires were long enough to let it sit on the passenger seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts