SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Re: Installing iPD Engine and Strut Mount Bushings (vizwiz)

My little light blue wonders are being put on today as well and I already have the blue Evolve upper engine mount bushing on the car.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here's the old broken stock bushing that I replaced:

Note that the visible gap is NOT the broken part of the bushing. The stock bushing has two struts that connect the inner connection to the outer wall. There's some thin rubber material in betwen that can flake off, but is not structurally significant.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Installing iPD Engine and Strut Mount Bushings (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
Stop typing...take it for a drive...and tell us how it feels!

Took it for a little spin, weaving around the minivan and gravel truck "pylons"

It's a nice difference. Things feel much more "buttoned up". Shifting seems to be crisper, and the steering is tighter at speeds over 30MPH. Minimal extra vibration. The strut brace is much more solid now when trying to shift it by hand.

I don't know how it would compare with one of the Evolve or powerflex bushings though.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Installing iPD Engine and Strut Mount Bushings (Tigers81)

Quote, originally posted by Tigers81 »
Where did the washers go?

The washer goes directly below the blue strut bushing. At least, that's where I put it.

Modified by vizwiz at 1:55 PM 3-15-2006

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Looking at these photos, I am realizing how dirty my engine bay has become
Any recommendations for how to give it a light cleaning? I took a pass with a terry towel, but the results are not glistening.

Modified by vizwiz at 3:53 PM 3-15-2006

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vizwiz »

It's a nice difference. Things feel much more "buttoned up". Shifting seems to be crisper, and the steering is tighter at speeds over 30MPH. Minimal extra vibration. The strut brace is much more solid now when trying to shift it by hand.

I don't know how it would compare with one of the Evolve or powerflex bushings though.

Sounds about right. I have the Blue Evolve engine mount bushing and the Powerflex bushings. The blue version causes some vibration and changes the sound of the engine. The black one would be better for those who don't want so much vibration. I got the Powerflex bushings after the Evolve bushing and honestly I couldn't tell much of a difference. I think the engine mount bushing does a lot more than the strut bushings.
Also my blue Evolve bushing has turned kind of greenish now.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
i just ordered the IPD powerflex bushing.

I already have the EVOLVE bushing. I LOVE the EVOLVE blue bushing. It made the steering feel so much tighter. The car may not really handle better but it FEELS tons better. I lvoe it. mine has discolored too. It's just the heat in the engine bay. Nothing you can do about it.

Paint it?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vizwiz »
Here's the old broken stock bushing that I replaced:

Viz, how did you know your stock bushing was kaput? Can you tell from this picture?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
i just ordered the IPD powerflex bushing.

I don't think ipd is selling the "powerflex" bushing. Certainly the strut mount bushings are not powerflex. Can any one confirm what the color of the powerflex engine mount bushing is, and if it is the same as the one from ipd in these pictures?

·
Registered
507 Posts

For reference, I already have the blue Evolve engine mount bushing and the VST strut brace. The ipd strut bar tensioner bushings were put on yesterday and initial impressions is that the steering now feels even more tighter/heavier than with just the blue Evolve bushing and the VST strut bar. Definitely feels tighter and more buttoned up. Nice upgrade IMHO.

Also added 10mm spacers from VivaPerformance to the rear wheels. Made a huge difference in the look as now it looks almost staggered. Handling with the wider track in the back is improved as well. Feels more planted in spirited curve carving driving. I also have the Evolve H5 19" wheels.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Installing iPD Engine and Strut Mount Bushings (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »

Viz, how did you know your stock bushing was kaput? Can you tell from this picture?

The crack was on the bottom strut, couldn't fit my camera down there for a shot of it. If you push on the strut bar you could see a crack appear on the lower bushing strut. The strut bar was also loose as all get up.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Vizwiz,

Could you please provide the stock numers for all the bushings that you installed. ( Engine & Strut Mount Bushings) I went to IPD's web site and could not locate them. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Installing iPD Engine and Strut Mount Bushings (bouncer)

That info is on the wiki, pasted here:

2B1890 Cross bar Reinforcement Kit and 2B1880 Poly Engine Mount Alum Body

Also a bunch of links to related threads on the powerflex bushings etc..

See: http://wiki.takspeed.com/index.php?title=R_Model

1 - 20 of 23 Posts