SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing hr springs in my '10 S80. Rears were a breeze, now I'm on the fronts. From looking in VIDA it appears to remove the strut I have to undo the ball joint, pull the hub off the axle and that will give me enough to swing to remove the strut. But I can't remove the ball joint with the axle in, and I cant remove the axle with the ball joint. Vida shows a special tool for the ball joint.

So wonder who else has done this and if there's some tips or tricks to it? If I can't get the ball joint out, it looks like my only other option would be to remove the control arm and basically pull the strut out as assembly woth the control arm connected. Then I could remove the ball joint and reassemble per VIDA's dorections.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You need this

Harbor Freight, $22. Thats what I used to get mine off. Worked like a charm

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dammit. I was just there buying the 21mm wrench to remove the control arm. I guess I'll just do it this way. By the time I would get to HF and back I'd be done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does your car have 4C or the standard comfort suspension? Would love to know how it turns out if you have the standard suspension... Have been wanting to do this on my T6 w/out 4C but just too skeptical that the ride will be ruined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I loosened the axle, removed the end links, banged the strut out of the hub, and used a long cheater pipe.

No ball joints or control arms were removed.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Standard suspension. Obviously the ride will be stiffer the springs, but that's good imo.

I tried banging the hub down off of the strut and there was a point where I had maybe half an inch left to go and the control wouldn't go any lower.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got them all done. Ride is actually softer than I anticipated. It's very comfortable and the steering response is noticeably better.

·
3,391 Posts
Looks great! It'll settle out a LOT over the coming months. Mine only lowered about half way initially.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Nice! When I took my control arm out and not the ball joint, it was a pain in the arse to get it to slide back it. It's easiest to get the ball joint disconnected. Mine has settled as well. With 245/45/18 wheels, it really fills in the gap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts