SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Installing Front Winglets.......

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  lowenhart 
#1 ·
Well, I'm happy to say that I might have the best condition front winglets out of any S60R. Why? I had the dealer install a brand spankin new set yesterday. And I didn't scratch them on the way home

Anyway, I'd like to vent on how damn expensive these things are. $517 for the wings, including tax and shipping. $100 to paint from the dealership. I'm okay with all that, but the dealer quoted me 1 hour to 1.5 hours max to install them. Well, when I got the bill, it took them 2.1 hours to do the install. He said the glue from the old ones was a nightmare to remove. All in all, it was about an $850.00 fix for two pieces of painted plastic!!!

All this because some friend/idiot took my car while I was sleeping to go get breakfast and pulled into a curb way too far while parking. He claims he will take responsibility for most of the damage, but time will tell.

Other than the wings being slightly more expensive than anticipated, I love my dealer. The service shop is great (body shop is independent). I got an oil change (I supplied Mobil One), new fuel door, new brake sensor, car wash and interior detail, S80 with 1500 miles for the day, and a complete look over for $35.00. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: (frankybotz87)

I did one of these last year and the glue was a SOB to remove

#5 ·
I suppose I got luckier...

I bought my car CPO, and from what I can tell the front bumper on my car is NOT original (no holes for the winglets and the body kit WAS ordered with my car).

They were able to slap my winglets on in about 30-40 minutes, as there was nothing to take off.

#7 ·
I wonder if the mechanic was using a heat gun? With a heat gun and a putty knife (or similar), I wouldn't image the glue being that difficult to remove.

However, I will give him props. The new wings look absolutely perfect. Plus, the labor rate was only $52 ish per hour. Not all that bad.

I'm moreso just disappointed with the total cost. I'm gonna be extremely careful with the new ones.

#8 ·
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
I did one of these last year and the glue was a SOB to remove

YEA it is!!!! but!!! if its the 3m tape used by volvo you can go down to trash auto and get a can of spray "Power Lub" by CRC and it WILLLLLL NOT! mess with the paint and it brakes down that 3m tape like a champ!!
Hell over the summmer i had a 711 sluprey and my girl acdently split some down my shifter. I imedlety pulled over poped off the cover and grabed my power lub gave it a few spritz worked the shifter.. Well she worked my shifter LOL and i was back on the road in 5 mins flat no problems sence

#10 ·
Re: Re: (S60R1)

Quote, originally posted by S60R1 »
I always make sure that whoever drives my car knows that the cost of one winglet = one testicle.

seems like part of an R oath that must be taken to drive ones car.

I ______ know the cots of one winglet...

#11 ·
Re: Re: (S60R1)

3m body adhesive remover (which I think is just naptha?) made pretty quick work of the residual adhesive from my winglets.....worked great!

#12 ·
Re: Re: (rgrove)

$240 - FRP Winglets from CFW
$18 - (1) can of self etching primer, (1) can of silver paint that is damn close in color, (1) can gloss clear coat
$30 - have an indy install
-----
$288 for winglets painted and installed http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by GiRaff3 at 5:30 PM 4-1-2009

#13 ·
Re: Re: (GiRaff3)

Quote, originally posted by GiRaff3 »
$240 - FRP Winglets from CFW
Not any more, they went up by a lot

#14 ·
Re: Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Not any more, they went up by a lot

The factory ones did, maybe you have those and the ones from CarbonFiberWerks confused?

#15 ·
Re: Re: (GiRaff3)

Complete set of two with aluminum brackets

In Carbon Fiber $399.99
In Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP), ready to paint primer $239.99

Henry

Modified by lowenhart at 6:03 AM 4-2-2009

#19 ·
Quote, originally posted by S60R1 »
I always make sure that whoever drives my car knows that the cost of one winglet = one testicle.

I bet that doesn't work for the married guys around here

If they had made the R in white, and I had a white R, I would Carbon Fiber every square inch of the thing that I could (even so far as CF plastic paneling on an '04!) CF + White makes me weak in the knees. Otherwise, I think it has to be done in moderation and never alone. Fortunately, I think that CF winglets + CF spoiler would fit the bill perfectly.

#20 ·
Re: (m3nt0s)

Quote, originally posted by m3nt0s »

I bet that doesn't work for the married guys around here

My wife understands. When I had the body kit put on, she said,
"what's worse, me curbing the Pegs, or scraping those wing-things?"

So far neither have happened - fingers are crossed, as I am knocking
on my wood desk.

P.S. I have to place several returns in my post due to that large as hell pic
above, can we get that thing resized? And yes I am using a 24" widescreen monitor.

#21 ·
Re: (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Sorry guys,

I linked the wrong photo,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.